TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Screw Christmas - I'll take mid-year moto-release dates any time :)

Anyway, new 350 motor is supposed to make more power and torque all the way through the rev range, and is 4 pounds lighter. I'll still have a Beta over these bikes for sure...but pretty cool!

I kind of dig the look, too. It almost looks retro-KTM (like an old 400 four stroke or something).

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F

I look forward to seeing exact power figures and such. I think KTM has realized that Beta is coming for them, and that they'd better up their game :) They've even gone to the length of calling the new 500 "The Alpha", and "King of the Mountain" - if these aren't subtle jabs at Beta...I don't know what is lol.

I think this looks pretty cool (as a fun-toy hooligan bike just to hoo around on):

http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/85-sx-1916-1/

Also, it appears that the 690 Enduro may have been dropped (although the Husqvarna "version" looks to be still available).

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
That does look pretty nice!! :eek: :)

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I was just looking too, jeeze at that seat height you need to wear 70's platform shoes just to stop at a red light!

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Hoping for a KTM 390 Adventure soon!
YES YES YES! I have been delaying the purchase of a more road oriented bike for 2 years hoping for a bike like that! I have ridden the Duke 390 and that bike has had me itching badly to pull the trigger.

Tom

·
Registered
715 Posts
YES YES YES! I have been delaying the purchase of a more road oriented bike for 2 years hoping for a bike like that! I have ridden the Duke 390 and that bike has had me itching badly to pull the trigger.

Tom
Same here! If KTM doesn't hurry up with that 390 Adventure, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Honda Africa Twin.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The mechanic at our local KTM shop did not recommend taking the Duke on the freeway and our speed limits range from 100 - 120 kmph.
I told him I have ridden my WR for hours wound out on the freeway with no ill affects. He was adamant that the Duke would not handle it.

Just saying.

Reactions: admiral

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Did you ask him what he based his premise on?

The mechanic at our local KTM shop did not recommend taking the Duke on the freeway and our speed limits range from 100 - 120 kmph.
I told him I have ridden my WR for hours wound out on the freeway with no ill affects. He was adamant that the Duke would not handle it.

Just saying.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Same here! If KTM doesn't hurry up with that 390 Adventure, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Honda Africa Twin.
Isn't that like saying "If the mechanic doesn't get my Yugo fixed soon I am going to buy that new Land Rover!":D

Tom

Reactions: akalogan

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Did you ask him what he based his premise on?
I have heard that they run hot in stop and go traffic. I can tell you from personal experience that 70 mph on the 390 is not working that engine in the least! It does vibrate more than I think it should in the mid to upper rev range though.

The mechanic at the Yamaha shop said I should never ride my TW above 45 mph for ANY length of time. Just saying.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
OK, got to love those pro mechanics. Thanks Tom.

I have heard that they run hot in stop and go traffic. I can tell you from personal experience that 70 mph on the 390 is not working that engine in the least! It does vibrate more than I think it should in the mid to upper rev range though.

The mechanic at the Yamaha shop said I should never ride my TW above 45 mph for ANY length of time. Just saying.

Tom

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's something I don't understand. Why can't they make a bike for a non N.B.A. height rider?

Well, Beta at least tries... 36.6 isn't too bad, comparatively at least. Take the preload out of the rear shock and raise the forks a half inch and you're at 36.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea my TW on the freeway used to sound like milk-shake blender in a bucket of nails...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The convesation started with me looking to change the gearing on the WR for better road performance and balancing the back wheel, when the mechanic informed be that they don't even recommend their customers take the Duke 390 on the highway and the WR is too small.
He said the Duke was not designed for it.
I don't think he knew enough about the WR to comment, as he did not know it was based off a R1.
I would hope he knew something about the bikes he services.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts