TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like elsewhere here in the west heavy storms have damaged many primative roads that don't get the publicity of an overtopping Oroville Dam.
After similar flooding in the 80's many small bridges, culverts and roads were cut and never repaired or replaced. Might be good to check with locals, 4x4 clubs, Cycle shops,Forest Service, etc for current conditions this season.

For Example quite a bit of Death Valley backcountry road network was closed as of last week. 1075348_487391051351554_69219813_o-thumb-600x447-56626.jpg

• Badwater Road between Badwater Basin and the south entrance.
  • Big Pine/Death Valley Road.
  • Cottonwood Canyon Road.
  • Emigrant Canyon Road.
  • Harry Wade Road.
  • Mosaic Canyon Road (Washed out; 4x4 High Clearance Recommended)
  • Mustard Canyon Road
  • Panamint Valley Road
  • Saline Valley (North) Impassable. Severely washed out.
  • Saline Valley (South) Signed "Closed" by Inyo County; damaged due to washouts; very rough. (Saline Valley South is often braved by people with high clearance vehicles despite the county "closed" sign: this week, you may want to rethink that tradition.)
  • Wildrose Road
  • West Side Road
Whitney Portal Road is closed above my favorite Alabama Hills due to massive rockfall. Won't be TWing this for a while. Rockfall shaved off a good chunk of the road bed and left this granitic deposit on what was left. Intact road is visible in the background. PortalRoadSlide2-2.jpg fseprd531992.jpg fseprd531988.jpg PortalRoadSlide1.jpg

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Barb and I were in Yosemite this past weekend and, as you have personally experienced at your place Fred, Mother nature has not been kind to the park this winter. While the waterfalls were impressive and the Merced was boiling, there was also significant damage that will take a lot of money and effort to repair. There have also been a lot of mudslides on 120 and 140 into the park.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Speaking of closures, Clearlake is now closed to all motorized boats. The lake is at flood stage and the waves caused by boats are destructive to shore line property. We have been very fortunate the water has been calm while at this high level. The closeure would normally not be a big deal to me, however I recently bought my first bass boat and am nearing completion of a little refurbishing. Was looking forward to getting on one of the best bass lakes anywhere. O well.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Like elsewhere here in the west heavy storms have damaged many primative roads that don't get the publicity of an overtopping Oroville Dam.
After similar flooding in the 80's many small bridges, culverts and roads were cut and never repaired or replaced. Might be good to check with locals, 4x4 clubs, Cycle shops,Forest Service, etc for current conditions this season.

Whitney Portal Road is closed above my favorite Alabama Hills due to massive rockfall. Won't be TWing this for a while. Rockfall shaved off a good chunk of the road bed and left this granitic deposit on what was left. Intact road is visible in the background.
Wow, that is some Wiley E. Coyote-Roadrunner rock fall stuff right there! Will they, whoever they is, repair this road or will they leave it like this?

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Sorry Fred, this is as close as we got to Half Dome on this visit.

p.s. Already been there, and done that with my sons.

View attachment 79753

View attachment 79769
Wow to these photos as well. One would want to be ahead of me if climbing that ladder because there is a good chance my depends would be overflowing! Same goes for the, again, Wiley E. Coyote-Roadrunner outcropping your standing on. Matter of fact, I'm getting lightheaded just looking at the photos!

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DOT claims they plan to re-open Whitney Portal Road by May 1st which seems optimistic considering the extent of the rock slide I saw from some drone footage.

Meanwhile closer to home but not a long term issue is the ongoing periodic closures of Interstate 80 over the Sierras. Third time in last week causing more "Death by GPS" folks trying to follow "Alternate Route" Google info up the old Donner Parties muddy, snowy route to Truckee. The NDOT has all the warning flashing signboards up again but people still drive around the signs thinking the signs must be wrong and why doesn't the highway department check with Google for latest accurate alternate roads?..after all their precious cell phones and internet can't be wrong.
Got stuck for hour and a half just coming back from the post office as many thousands of cars bailed off the interstate and proceeded to bumper-to-bumper jam pack every square yard of available pavement until there was no movement possible.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone try to go to Death Valley last week? Views are a little hard to appreciate from the bottom of downcut road beds. la-trb-death-valley-scottys-castle-20160412-003.jpg web1_DV-road_2.jpg

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well Interstate 80 is closed few miles from here again today . Those west bound still seem to believe Garmin and Google more than the local highway and Sherriff's Departments.
At least we got a new sign.:)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wow. Almost made it back. Could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well it looks like my forecast for Fred was off as he is getting hit again. It doesn't look good for Oroville and Sacramento. They are calling this one of the biggest storms to hit to California. Saying we could get up to10 inches. Stand by for hysteria. If we get a flood in mission valley it will be crazy. There have been no 100 year floods in my lifetime.

California Weather Blog

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ruh Roh is right! I was led to believe next storm pulses would be manageable. Not sure if I can afford to rebuild my access road for a third time. Besides I sent all the equipment back.

The size and power of these machines is impressive, shames my little 35 hp. I drool over the versatility of the 4-way buckets. Had a big extend-a-hoe backhoe too that was plucking and positioning 4 to 5 ft diameter boulders.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hoping you don't need them back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wow, some great pics of a very wet year here in CA. My son lives in Reno and visits have been difficult this year for sure. He was unable to come home for Superbowl Sunday weekend for a big get together here and we have been hesitant going out there because things can change (mudslides in dry weather etc) quickly!

I am leading a street bike ride to Death Vally the 3rd week in March.....I hope most of the roads are OK by then. The wild flowers this years will be incredible. They were nice last year - but this year...!

I want to plan a TW camp and ride out to Death Valley some time - there is a campground in Stove pipe - primitive but fine. Would love to get off into the desert there! March or early April, maybe next year - to much going on this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts