TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 Suzuki VanVan 200 - now an official dual sport model in the Suzuki USA lineup!

VanVan200.com - The Largest 2017+ Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum And Community!

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/RV200/2017/~/media/3DABB0B3838A4D8DA3C7E07C95905CDC.ashx?h=861

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - RV200 - 2017 - RV200

The fact that this is a budget/entry level model, and yet Suzuki feeds its engine with injected fuel, gives me hope for Suzuki's other dual sports - I think EFI is in the cards, within the next couple of years. With my luck, I'd end up buying a new 2017 DRZ, and the 2018 model would get EFI.

EDIT: Is this bike actually using the exact same engine as the DR200? It certainly looks nearly identical, and has the exact same bore and stroke, and compression ratio...Hmm. Use the EFI system from the VanVan to convert a DR200? How hard would that be...?

Anyway, back to the VanVan. I dig this little bike. Suzuki offers some great competition to the TW 200; the two are very similar in many respects. The Yamaha will be a little more off road capable (because of the ground clearance)...but the Yamaha has a carburetor. In my book, those two factors pretty much balance out.

Who's buying one? ;D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh boy, I must have one of these, dangit, just After aquiring my TW. I've had lots of Suzuki's over the years and love em.
Well, look for a nice 2001 TW for sale in Oregon next spring.
Selling your used TW to buy a new VanVan? hehe

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Oh boy, I must have one of these, dangit, just After aquiring my TW. I've had lots of Suzuki's over the years and love em.
Well, look for a nice 2001 TW for sale in Oregon next spring.

Traitor! LOL (inside joke).. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing... about when they come out... :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Funny... the nearest Yamaha dealer here said they can barely sell Tdubs - maybe 2-3 a year. How odd that Suzuki is making a sorta-clone of a bike that doesn't(ish) sell here.

Or do they...? duhn duhn DUUUUUUUUNNNNNNHHHHH!

It's cute but I'm still not giving up Q. :love7:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Funny... the nearest Yamaha dealer here said they can barely sell Tdubs - maybe 2-3 a year. How odd that Suzuki is making a sorta-clone of a bike that doesn't(ish) sell here.

Or do they...? duhn duhn DUUUUUUUUNNNNNNHHHHH!

It's cute but I'm still not giving up Q. :love7:

Yep, I agree. The TW doesn't sell well enough to keep more than one on any Yamaha dealer's floor already. No big box will sell these if they are handling Yamaha's.
The fuel injection is nice but absolutely not needed. Just more stuff to deal with.

I'd say keep it simple and keep it T-Dub.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess I'll be the first dissenting voice here. I think it's ugly.

The seat/tank combo look cheap. Also don't like the look of the bars or the retro headlight. Even the name sounds ridiculous.

Definitely won't be trading the TW for a VanVan.

"Adventures make one late for dinner".
Bilbo Baggins:

·
Registered
459 Posts
My hope is that the Fuel Injection will attract many buyers, and that Yamaha will decide to step up their game a little and finally release a bike similar to the XTW250 Ryoku that was shown as a concept bike at the Japan motorcycle show a few years ago.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My hope is that the Fuel Injection will attract many buyers, and that Yamaha will decide to step up their game a little and finally release a bike similar to the XTW250 Ryoku that was shown as a concept bike at the Japan motorcycle show a few years ago.

Exactly!

I think that bike would sell very well as a small size adv bike with all kinds of trick details.
The shovel/skid plate, the oem rack system with single seat, the low seat height, the dual round headlights, the tire pump, hopefully a 6 speed, and much more.

I have a picture of the XTW250 in my shop as a guide to build my TW-Strom 650.
I am going for that look and function as much as possible for my project.

The CSC RX3 250cc adv bike is the only current 250 set up from OEM as an adv bike, I think there is a market for the small size bike with the adv features for both new riders and us, uh, more mature riders who don't want a stinkin' heavy big bike off road.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm going to repeat myself on the same topic from another thread....I can't believe I'm part of the minority here.

"Ick...oil cooled and fuel injected sounds like more dealer dependence to me. Plus the rear brake arm hanging low is not a good idea for offroad and the the gas tank looks smaller. My TW bottoms out the suspension often and I bent my brake lever on a stump. If Vanvan are lower clearance with less suspension travel...even less interested.

With the current trends I'm glad the TW has held out with older tech."

If you think fuel injection means less maintenance then what do you do when you can't get someone fix it for you? For any number of reasons...With carbs you can .roll uo your sleeves and enjoy the independence.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think when you take into account the crap that builds up in carbs with modern fuel and the simplicity on the simpler injection systems on these cheaper bikes, then the maintenance is neither here nor there. Similar with the oil cooler, Suzuki protect them really well - farmers over here cant break them (Same engine setup in their AG bike).

I hear what you're saying but cooler oil and a simple injection systems have their place. Its still not an R1!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here's my completely uneducated opinion, the TW "looks" better. Yamaha needs to put the FI on the TW. Up the displacement to 250'ish even though it will cost more due to the 200 cc & over import taxes, etc. I love the small, light bike config for the trails and back roads. Not interested in pavement cruising, just getting away from the crowds. We don't have many (crowds) in Idaho once you get off the pavement, unless it's a holiday weekend. :(

Hopefully, the VanVan (what kind of a name is that anyway ;) ) will pressure Yamaha to put some "features" into the new TW models. We need a kickstart regardless of anything else, throw in the disk brakes - front and rear (oh, my!) and fuel injection. Now I'm starting to fall in love again...

Just for what it's worth, IMHO!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I suffer from TMBS. Too many bikes syndrome.. yeah, yeah, I know.. first world problems. My wife and I work in the motorcycle industry, and have a bunch of bikes. We've got a couple of modern BMW GS Adventure bikes, a couple of older BMW airheads, an XT, a TW, a KLR250, A Honda Hawk, a CBR 929, and an old rat bike based off of a Pacific Coast. As a result, some of the bikes sit for a while. I've never had to service the fuel injection on any of the FI bikes, but every single bike with a carb has had to have the carb cleaned regularly. The crap that passes for gasoline these days clogs up way too easily in a passive carburetor jet system, but still works with a high pressure fuel injection. I know that I can roll up my sleeves and get into a carb and fix it, but I don't have to do that with EFI, and I have never had an EFI issue on any bike.

The really big difference to me is the efficiency of EFI versus a carb. A DR650, KLR 650 and XR650 are all carb based mid size dual sports. They are all jetted lean to pass EPA, so almost everyone rejets them to get rid of the stumble and make the throttle smooth. Most people get about 45-55 mpg out of these bikes. My wifes F650GS is fuel injected, weighs a lot more than the DR and KLR, yet is far peppier and gets 75mpg.

EFI has its benefits, and personally I feel that they outweigh the disadvantages.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts