TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Falling asleep last night rather than counting sheep I counted fun outings on the TWs this last year.
Despite an unusual winter with multiple extensive & expensive flooding plus various aches, pains and surgeries I somehow managed to spend 38 days out of town on TW trips plus a handful of local day rides. Lucky me!
Many happy days were what I would call group camp-n-rides with two or more Forum Members. These included the Booneville Rain Ride....Moab21017...Burlington Ridge with Boarder255 & Rider21...Return to the Ssweetwaters....Return to Carson Pass....SanDue's Shasta Bally Ride.
Other solo scouting trips seemed to have a consistent theme: The previous winter had either left things buried in snow very late in the season or meltwaters had flushed them away. You know, usefull stuff like roads, bridges and campsites. ;)
Bottom line is despite a few setbacks with the right attitude life can be very good. I found some new places and by sharing them helped solidified some nice friendships.
I'm hooked on these simple go-anywhere TWs and the nice go-anywhere people who ride them.
Thanks and appreciation to all those who traveled far and wide to join up on these group rides. Hope it was as memorable for them as it was for me.

P.S. -This was what greeted me on my driveway one morning three days after having everything re-built. Previous 26 days I had to hike in awaiting snow to melt that had buried more extensive flood erosion. Version 2.jpg

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly planning another trip into the Sweetwater Mountain range once things melt out. Let's do it again Don!
For now the upcoming lunar eclipse and full moon at end of January makes a good excuse to try something in the Sierra Foothills. Michigan Bluff and portions of the Western States Trail? Some of the old prospector's tracks in the gold country? Donzo must know good examples. stevens trail iowa hill.jpg

·
Registered
901 Posts
I went out 3 days ago and couldn't even make it thru Park Creek to Mormon
Emigrant! While we have not had much snow - cold temps have kept the snow and ice on the northern slopes along the trails ...but, if the weather continues to be dry with warmish afternoons - we could get there - I'm going out to check out a couple trails now (see how far I can get) and will share pics when I get back.
It is so nice here at my house warm and still air - I have been painting my work shop - not something you usually do in late Dec - early Jan. But I'm 3 - 6,000 feet below where I ride 10 - 20 miles away.

Oh and count on me for Sweetwater!

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just got back from my first TW ride of the New Year. It was great to get out rolling again.
Unseasonal heat wave here too after so many sub-zero weeks. Funny thing, I've been painting too. ;)

My Clarke XT350 tank needed a make-over as part of a new look.

·
Super Moderator
17,920 Posts
Congratulations Fred!! That must have felt great after (?patiently?) waiting so long since the surgery. :D

You da man!! :p

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seemed an appropriate way to user in the new year since things are so unseasonably dry and warm.
Mid-40's now as I have just returned from today's second ride to observe the rise of the Super Blue Moon just outside Reno. Really nice, was intending to go out for just a taste but I got into the groove and extended the ride just to make my wife worry. I adapted; what seemed initially cold eventually became "cool" instead. Night riding has become an interesting new dimension to the TW experience. Leather helps.
In person the rising moon was more orange than blue.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Based on your moon talk, last night I went outside to take a look. Beautiful it was. I took several pictures but none came out. I’m amazed you are out riding already. Wow, take it slow and easy though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad to see you are out there again Fred! I got back after dark also..such a nice day! First pic shows how all the holiday Jeepers tires pull all the water to the top of the mud...what a slippery challenging mess. Climbing that hill was harder than it looks. I made it thru to Mormon this time! And went on to the next main trail. Second pic was a couple miles out, found impassable packed snow and ice. Third pic is a huge dead ponderous pine being eaten at the base by termites. If this tree was within 150ft of your house it would be time to call in a professional! Many shooters in the woods today. When I stopped it sounded like a gun battle was going on with sporadic high power gunfire echoes thru the hills
The last pic is the unfortunate and common crap left behind by the shooters. It baffles me that people think it's OK to leave such messes behind
Great afternoon ride!
My home is at about 3200 ft, somewhere about 6500ft shaded areas are impassable

oops, the pics are not in order - but pretty easy to figure out...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I remember picking up a TW in Verdi Nevada it was getting near sunset as I drove the final miles to the pick up point but I remember rolling through what felt like rather remote valleys with bubbling streams almost level with the winding road along the valley bottom. I remember it was dark and blowing sideways when I arrived to load the TW and a monster snow storm was due overnight. It was a cold a miserable load and it pretty much started snowing as soon as I got back on the road. Still a beautiful area my timing was just not optimal. Two TW's and a ROKON in a Toyota was getting crowded
SAM_3119.JPG SAM_3120.JPG

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool Verdi story PlacerLode. You've picked up TWs from darn near everywhere.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How could I pass up such a great opportunity to go trail riding into the rising full moon?
Especially on the first day of the new year when things are unusual warm and the moon unusually close and bright.
I just won't tell my surgeon who I see tomorrow for permission to go riding.
I will tell him " You only live once". That he would understand.

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
There’s much to be said about leather in the winter – it’s the only stuff that will hold the heat in no matter what the wind takes away from the outside surface …… ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts