TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing this 2017 TW and I am having a hard time determining value. I intend to go see it this weekend and plan to discuss how much they have invested in the build, so I don't have any answers there. But in general, does $5,000 for a TW like this seem in the ballpark of "reasonable"? I understand that when looking at a custom build it may come down more to what you are willing to pay than anything else, but I am trying to figure fair market value. I would love to hear your opinions...

2017 TW200
odometer: 250 miles
asking price: $5000

List of major mods:
Full SS Brake Lines
Custom Frame work
Custom seat
Aftermarket Bars
Oil Cooler addition
LED Headlights, taillight (integrated signals), and from low profile blinkers
Custom Aftermarket tank (can include two others)
Custom Mirror mount
KTM Peg System mounted for adjusted rider position
Vapor Odometer and Electric Readout
Custom Gear Indicator
Supertrapp Exhaust
Aftermarket Intake
All work was done by a certified mechanic and certified custom shop in town.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Nice to have a certified mechanic behind it. Looks nice. There’s not really a market price for bikes like that. Happy hunting. Post more pics when you see it in person.

My official opinion is you better love everything about it at that price.

·
Registered
428 Posts
WOW!
Somebody did that to a 2017 TW? Man, if I was gonna tear up a dub and do all that, I'd have least gone for maybe a '90 or somewhere in that neighborhood but, a '17, whew.
Scott

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here is the way I see it. If this is what you would want your finished TW to look like when you were done customizing it with parts and time spent, then yes I believe it is 100% worth it.

However, if this is NOT how you envision your TW to look after a complete mod build, then no, as you can have a brand new show room floor 2020 for that price with fuel, warranty and lunch.

That's my point of view anyhow. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would go for it because it has the custom gear indicator, aftermarket intake and custom mirror mounts! That stuff is hard to find! I'm surprised it doesn't have the latest custom power band though! I would deduct about $2000 from the asking price if it has a clean title in the sellers name! Nice oil cooler! Does it come with a battery or is it push only?:geek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your comments/opinions! I get it, the 'scrambler' style isn't for everyone. Obviously, it has piqued my interest. Visually it is quite different from stock, but I don't see any modifications that would stop the bike from performing on some trails and fun to ride around town.

I'll go check it out this weekend and see if it's a good fit for me. Ultimately, it may not be at $5000.

Jason

·
Registered
918 Posts
For me, half the fun of a TW like that would be doing the work my self. In fact, the simple maintenance and unlimited customization options is what keeps me on a TW. Plus, I really like the stock appearance of my '95 Rainbow Warrior.

Cost? $5k, no way. IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
There’s a 225 on Fleabay in the UK at the moment. The mileage is right, the price is good, but the “customisation” is a mess. One mans work of art is someone else’s dogs dinner. I figure the 225 would take a grand to reverse it some semblance of “normality”

With your bike, I actually quite like that style – but what I don’t like, is someone saying to me that “I’m in it for 5k, so that’s the price I’m selling at”. With almost any customisation, it actually devalues the bike, at least to anyone who does not share your exact tastes. And if you sell it in the future, that truth is going to hit hard

The price for that bike should be closer to what it is worth “unmolested”, which I’d estimate (with the mods included) at closer to 4k. As with any “work of art”, ultimately, it is only worth what someone will pay for it

Below is a picture of my 2007 TW225 Special Edition, one of only a thousand ever made. Condition is immaculate, completely original, 5k on the clock. I hand picked this bike from Japan, had it imported, and all for the price of – you guessed it - £4000 (or 5000 dollars) – even comes with the kick start as standard

Now compare the value of the two bikes …….

0353-13.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There’s a 225 on Fleabay in the UK at the moment. The mileage is right, the price is good, but the “customisation” is a mess. One mans work of art is someone else’s dogs dinner. I figure the 225 would take a grand to reverse it some semblance of “normality”

With your bike, I actually quite like that style – but what I don’t like, is someone saying to me that “I’m in it for 5k, so that’s the price I’m selling at”. With almost any customisation, it actually devalues the bike, at least to anyone who does not share your exact tastes. And if you sell it in the future, that truth is going to hit hard

The price for that bike should be closer to what it is worth “unmolested”, which I’d estimate (with the mods included) at closer to 4k. As with any “work of art”, ultimately, it is only worth what someone will pay for it

Below is a picture of my 2007 TW225 Special Edition, one of only a thousand ever made. Condition is immaculate, completely original, 5k on the clock. I hand picked this bike from Japan, had it imported, and all for the price of – you guessed it - £4000 (or 5000 dollars) – even comes with the kick start as standard

Now compare the value of the two bikes …….

View attachment 203773
I hear you regarding cost and appreciate the sentiment. That's truly a beauty!

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
There are many 225’s for sale in Japan that have been “modded” – stretched swinging arms, bobber style, hollow mods, supertrap (and other) exhausts – but they all have one thing in common

The prices for the modded bikes are significantly (30% or more) less than an “original” TW

Think about this one very carefully …….

·
Registered
420 Posts
Something else you could do to take a more static approach to the value. Look at the upgrades/changes and separate the cosmetic from the performance/high cost upgrades that improve the bikes operation/safety/performance before accounting for anything cosmetic.

Where things like the seat (if comfy), intake, exhaust, and brake lines are good improvements. While stuff like custom bars and fuel tank don't really add value when it comes to the overall operation.

But it's like art... what looks good to you and is worth 5k might look to me like a financial detriment to find replacement parts to match custom pieces, or difficulty styling it due to modified components and frame from stock.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Are the stock parts included?
Do you believe the 250 miles?
Has it been wrecked?
What is the "custom frame work"?
Why is owner selling?
Try to talk to the guy who actually built it...see what he thinks of the bike...and price?
What is a "certified" custom shop? Not a Yamaha dealership, I assume.

Regardless of the answers above, I think it is over-priced by at least $1K.

Good luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
What kind of certification is required by custom shops? What does “certified” really mean?

You said you didn’t see any modifications that would hinder performance on the trails - parden me for repeating myself from my previous post but FENDERS! That nice oil cooler isn’t going to last very long without protection.

I think it’s a nice looking bike and probably fun to ride, but only in more or less perfect riding conditions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
$5K is not realistic for what’s there.
It’s a stripped TW with a few aftermarket parts.

I bought my 2018 used and in showroom condition with 385 miles for $3800. Now if I stripped it and sold the perfect OEM parts and bought the few items on that one there’s no way to get to $5K.

If you really like that look find a good used TW and add the stuff yourself and save a few thousand. I don’t really see anything that special about that build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
And I still can't believe someone would do that to '17 T-dub.
Scott

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
If it is exactly what you want then the cost is acceptable.
One should however plan to factor in the cost of making it street legal since it obviously is poorly suited for any trail riding and does not appear to be street legal as it sits. I don't see some of the equipment required for street operation in my jurisdiction like front and rear turn signals, a battery, tail light, brake light, license plate illumination, a second mirror or a horn. Maybe not an issue in Original Poster's state.
The unsheltered, unsupported air filter pus thin seat, no fenders nor onboard tools are off-road deal killers for me. I would also recommend avoid riding on any wet surfaces so as to avoid a water fouled air filter and to keep somewhat exposed wiring dry.
If you desire a collector's item, or a show bike then it is perfectly fine. If you want to ride it then try to stick to dry tracks or be prepared to run from the cops. walk.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my "new" stock 2017 TDub. Just bought 2 brand new from a dealer with full warranty (0 miles) for $3000 each, plus of course tax, tags. - 2 weeks ago. Dealer is in Westchester, NY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts