TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

2018 klx 250

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone!

I wanted to give a quick review on my 2018 KLX, i’m coming up on a year of ownership.

Overall, I give it a solid recommendation for anyone that wants more power and more suspension. I have yet to tinker with the front or rear, as the bike has a comfy setup, and absorbs changing terrain very well. She’s certainly not a jumper though!

At only 302 lbs wet, the slight increase in weight compared to TW is not really noticeable. Weight seems to be carried low, and there’s a satisfying feeling of control with a low”ish” center of gravity, similar to TW.

Performance is greatly increased, as there’s a punchy mid range into upper rpms. Powerband is pretty broad, about from 5500-9500 at 4500 feet elevation. Redline is 10500.When Fred and I were in Death Valley, noticeable power gains began at 3,000rpms-much more! I would say that she doesn’t like low, low RPMs the way TW does. Like say chugging at 1500-2000, is “chattery” and sluggish for KLX, whereas TW seemed ok there. High altitudes greatly impact power with KLX, which is a bit of a disappointment, considering it is fuel injected. I noticed this during breakin, when Fred and I ventured into sweetwaters at elevations above 9500ft. 2nd trip there, I swapped in a different air box snorkel(from KDX200) which seemed to help, allowing much more air to enter air box.

Cargo. Here’s where the TW definitely edged ahead. I have a small sleek rack that cosmetically looks great. Functionally, it leaves me wanting. Currently I only use it to affix a 1 gallon rotopax. Positioned ahead of the rotopax, for camp n’ rides, I have attached a wolf man beta bag, which seemed to adequately contain everything I would need for a two night trip, and a bit more. With a little more adjustments I think I could be rightly set up for extended periods. The wolf man bag takes the space of a nonexistent passenger, so as to not overwhelm subframe(lesson learned with TW).

The bike is quite fuel efficient, I consistently get 55-60 mpg, compared to about 60with TW. I have a larger rear sprocket, OEM was 42, I have a 46. I believe the bike could stand to have a little more, maybe a 47 or 48. RPMs at 70 mph are at 8200, so I’d rather not go too much bigger on the rear sprocket. Top speed so far was an indicated 94mph, actual was closer to 90, seems to read 3 mph over actual.

Let’s see what else...the look. I really like the look of the bike. I paid an additional 200 dollars for the digital matrix camp, with blacked out engine, rims, etc. it looks good. Probably not the safest bike, but I’ll blend in with surrounding when in nature for the most part..

Let me know if you have questions! I recently sold my 2006 TW of 11 years and nearly 21,000 miles. While I’ll miss the unwavering traction that the rear tire had, I don’t feel there’s any loss of utility with the KLX. I doubt I’ll be taking it through the rubicon anytime soon, but I think it would do well on that level of technical trail terrain.

See less See more
#7 ·
For me it’s perfect. I’m 5’10” with 32 L. There’s enough sag in the suspension when I sit on the seat, that I can easily flat foot both feet with a little to spare. It could just be the suspension setting though. When you look at the bike, without a rider, it looks tall.

#8 · (Edited)
It is nice that they finally brought the EFI system over from Europe -- definitely a smart move. Now they just need to fix the cam chain tensioner and make it a 350; the bottom end can easily handle 350 power! That would be one heck of a bike: fairly light-weight, six speed, EFI 350 with decent suspension and good reliability/low maintenance, at a very reasonable price -- less than or equal to the price of a WR! I don't understand why the hell none of the big four can be bothered with something like this. At least Honda tried...but failed IMO, to deliver something in this niche. Maybe Yamaha will follow Honda's lead, but do it right... (WR450R). Anyway, glad you're happy with the ride. I'd say the KLX is definitely a better performance per dollar ratio compared to the WR250R, even though that bike obviously performs a bit better.

#9 ·
Exactly right. Also, if the KTM 300 2stroke with fuel injection was not ridiculously priced or if Yamakawahondazuki would come out with a reasonable challenger, I would probably be interested. Alas it is not to be.

Reactions: kj7687
#10 · (Edited)
I actually found that I seriously preferred the old CR500 for enduro riding, compared to the modern 300s: it just fit me and my riding style a lot better and was easier to ride (somewhat ironically, I guess...). Yamaha has at least had the presence of mind to offer the carb'd YZ 250 two stroke, but yea, it would be cool to see some modern two stroke enduro competition from the Japanese.

Reactions: Sthrnromr
#11 ·
I had a 2009 KLX for about 6 years. I used it a lot for hunting, but found it unsuitable for packing heavy loads on steep and rough trails. The internal gearing seems to be more suited for road use. First gear is very high. I geared it down what I thought was a good amount but it still didn’t have the low end power or useable power to come out of a sharp turn and up a steep bank without having it running at a higher RPM and about 16 mph. With the RPM’s running high my speed was way too fast for the heavy backpack of elk meat I was carrying and flying off the trail or killing the engine if I lugged it was a somewhat common occurrence. It was a nice bike and ran well and had adequate suspension for the price. It just wasn’t the tool for the job. It was more of a pleasure bike to use on open trails, dirt roads and such.
I found the TW is much more suitable due to its lower first gear, even with the stock gearing. The lower seat height also allows my 34 in inseam to place a foot down when in an awkward spot and avoid falling down a bank. The ability to have it idle in first gear at walking speed and have the low end power to accelerate from there is what I needed. I’m 6’4 and 250 so with a 100lbs of elk meat on my back it’s a lot to expect from a little motorcycle to do. The TW really steps up to the plate though.
Different tools for different purposes. Both good in their areas. KJ is correct, it’s long overdue for someone to market a 350/400 besides the Suzuki.

#13 ·
When Adam first got his KLX I feared there might be some technical ride destinations we could no longer share due to the taller KLX gearing and less flywheel effect from lighter tires compared to his older TW.
Such has not been the case so far...well maybe just a little bit on a few sustained loose steep rocky climbs where the TW can slow down and just churn its way to the top. Perhaps it's just my imagination.;)
If anything the KLX'x superior suspension and Adam's riding skill has lets him leave me behind in the dust on most moderate terrains.
So while the TW & the KLX have different strengths there is enough overlap to make a shared ride very pleasant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.