TW200 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too had a fantastic time. Met some super nice folks and saw some amazing scenery. Rode through sun, mud, hail and a torrential downpour and enjoyed every minute of it. Looking forward to more pics and videos. It appears my incident on Thursday evening with a hidden stump resulted in a broken toe according to x-rays I had taken yesterday. Thanks to Larry for arranging this trip. Let’s make it an annual event. Looking forward to more rides with you guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It was an awesome weekend! This was the first time I have ever met up with a group from a forum, and you all are great! I won't be able to name all of you, but just know that I really enjoyed meeting you and had a lot of fun.
I will share that Mountain Yawp's son is really cool. He had a little Honda 70 and went on a ride with us, which was his first real ride ever. That kid crashed more than a few times, the last on a pretty steep little section of the mountain road... He broke his front brake lever and bent his handlebars, but never complained once! He then went on to ride the last 10 miles back down to camp, and didn't crash once! I call him Iron Man now. And Mountain is really a great Dad, it was treat to get to watch them ride together.

Also, I was with Apple Guy when the group split and we continued on up to the lookout tower... He was not kidding when he said hail and pouring rain! And yes, it was an awesome adventure.

Thanks again for organizing this trip and I am really looking to when I can make the next one, and I too vote to make this an annual weekend!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A few pictures from the ride.

Base Camp

Lunch First Day

View of twisty highway I hoped to ride on Monday, but got rained out

Single Track group

More of the "Crazy" single track group - I believe this was at the top of the double track where I learnt what it fells like to loose a jousting match. I came around a corner and took the end of a downed tree in the chest and was parted from my trusty steed. Luckily my wallet took the point of the "lance" and I have just a green bruise. Trusty steed broke one of it's rear single lights.

Some of the single track bikes

The TW was leaking oil from the oil filter cover so I rode the DT

One of the incredibly delicious beverages brought to the outing - a must try if you like stouts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
ejfranz, unfortunately I can't see your photos on my phone or on my desktop. Hopefully it is just me, but it seems the site has had a lot of pic troubles lately.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ejfranz, unfortunately I can't see your photos on my phone or on my desktop. Hopefully it is just me, but it seems the site has had a lot of pic troubles lately.
Hopefully fixed

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
When we arrived, the arrival party welcomed us to a roaring raging out of control fire which was nice. (grewen, Smoke Rudder (formerly Sidekick Chad, ejfranz, Wa Larry (aka Leisure Time Larry) and Mrs. Admiral. More arrived and departed over the next couple of days. Mountain Yawp & family, Appleguy, maxxoregon, Bladesmith, allanb & wife, WHS, Jeff.

1st day Wa Larry takes us under the Knife er I mean takes us on the trails. We rode ATV trails.

De group

Typical sign on a typical ATV trail.

Typical Break on the trail

Hard to take take a picture while riding so here is another one of a typical snack break

Being typical non-union riders, we took as many breaks and as often as we wanted. This was at lunch.

We had to have a board meeting. You can't go for a ride unless you have a board meeting complete with maps and laser pointers. We didn't have laser pointers or a powerpoint presentation so we decided to continue riding after lunch...and this board meeting.

Typical views again from the trail after the typical lunch

The typical group enjoying the typically beautiful views

After some more riding, we had another board meeting before we start our ascent to Tower Mtn. Lookout

Typical picture of Tower Mtn. Lookout cabin for the typical lookout worker

Tower Mtn. Lookout. This is the typical design of the metal lookout towers.

OOOO, cell service. Everyone checking their typical cellphone to see if anyone likes them and sent them a txt. ...or check the typical TW200Forum.com

After the lookout, we split up a bit when heading back to camp. Mrs. Admiral and I, as we typically do, found another trail on the way back to lengthen our typical riding day

I like not leading a ride for a change. Others can figure out how to get us lost instead of me.

Video 1

N E Oregon 2018 Winom Frazier OHV I

More to come

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Day 2 ish on.

On the way back to camp, a bear attacked Mrs. Admiral knocking her over causing her foot to get smashed under Wilbrr. She decided to take day 2 off from riding to help heal after the vicious bear attack, so I decided to go with the single track minded guys and ride single track.

Problem was, I had tire problems. My new rear tire was flat. I aired up the tire with the hope it would stay inflated for the days ride. I got about 1/2 mile down the trail and it was evident I wasn't gonna be able to continue as my tire was flat again. Putting in fresh air into the tire didn't fix the flat on it's own. I turned back and missed the rest of the day's single track. Jeff was also having problems with his carb and he didn't make the ride either.

I fixed the flat but it was too late to catch up to the main group so Jeff and I decided to go out for an afternoon cruise. Jeff still had some carb issues so I went by myself.

...and then this happened. I threw a chain. UH OH!

Thankfully, it didn't wreck anything and I was able to unwrap it from the front sprocket without removing anything.

Being by myself, I had to navigate.

Unfortunately, since I hadn't had to navigate the day before, I forgot everything I've learned about navigation and ended up at this spot. Signs of civilization. After "discovering" this ancient burial plot, I headed back to camp and called it a day before I could hurt myself.

More to come

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Day 3 I think

Mrs. Admiral is still hurting but she wants to ride. We tried to ride with the group on the trails but with her foot still hurting from the bear attack (I'm kidding, there was no bear attack), we decided to break off from the group and ride the roads around the area.

So we're on our own, me navigating again.

Funny thing is, even though we're riding the roads and the main group is riding the trails, we ended up meeting them 3 times throughout the day. Here Mrs. Admiral and I decided to take a break. I didn't know a trail came through here till we got to this spot, which I was hoping would be a good nap spot too. This is where we met the group for the second time and we all ate lunch here.

If you're ever in the area, you'll know the exact spot we ate at if you see this on the tree. It's a wildlife tree. I suppose the tree's in a city are "non wildlife tree's".

We passed the group again as we headed back up to Tower Mtn. Lookout on our way back to camp. Nice views from the mountain road

We stopped back by the lookout. I'm not sure if Mrs. Admiral is checking her cellphone again or taking a nap. Surely it must be a nap right?

Used to have another structure at the lookout. I'm guessing a garage as lots of lookouts had garages and I didn't see one here.

We then went to this overlook not far from the lookout which we had missed on the first day

Looks like storm clouds are in the area

We'd better head back to camp so'ins we don't get damp-a-gated.

Appleguy brought a bunch of wood, so we burned it. We decided, I guess, that we should have a proper last night fire. We had fun around the campfire that night.

So this kind of wraps it up. A few mentioned making this a yearly ride and I'd agree as it's a great place to ride for riders of all abilities. Other groups led by WHS and Grewen went out riding to other neat places we didn't make it too.

Video 2

N E Oregon 2018 Winom Frazier OHV II

Till next ride, have a good one.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Admirals thoughts on commanding the two different scows?
Overall about the same actually.

The XT is about 50 lbs. lighter than the TW and I'd expect that to be an advantage. Lifting it over a log probably but honestly it doesn't seem any better just because it's lighter riding most of the trails. I like my beefed up TW suspension a lot better and I even think the TW's stock suspension is better than the XT.

Because of being lighter, I do think it was easier for ej and me to push/walking (with 1st gear engaged) the XT up the hill I stalled out on than it would have been doing the same on the TW.

Fixing a flat XT tire is a lot easier I can say that.

I like electric start on the TW. Kicker as a backup on the TW is great. Kicking the XT while easy gets to be a pain near the end of the day, er I mean first couple breaks. :p I ended up leaving the XT idle during many of the short breaks just so I wouldn't have to kick start it again and again and again. People who like kick start only are sick in the head. Sick I say.

Because I changed the rear tire just before this trip, and it's a taller tire, it changed the gearing to more for the highway use side. I need to change the gearing to a more trail oriented setup for the places I ride. ejfranz said I would have had a hard time on the steep single track had I gone. But the gearing is something which can be changed and isn't really a "difference" item between the two. I think but can't remember exactly, the gearing on it now is 14/50. I'll put the front 13T spocket on soon to see if this helps.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Well, I can see one bike could use a new rear sprocket before Admiral flips it.;) View attachment 180446

No damage to the sprockets. I do need to re-gear. What cause the thrown chain, not tightening the axle bolt after adjusting the chain is a cause perhaps.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here is my first attempt at attaching photos from my phone.
IMG_20180624_202905_1529897511551.jpg
This one technical is from the weekend before our gathering, when Larry, Chad, and I rode to the top of Hat Point and climbed the look out tower. It was during the Wallowa Adv Rider Jamboree, which is why there are so many bikes in the parking area.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts