TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Count me in! And as I live within an hour or two of the area, I would be happy to go up early and secure a group camping site at either Winom, Frazier or my personal favorite Umapine (but it is 9 miles of gravel to get there). And as an FYI, some campgrounds are free and some are not, but either way they are not expensive, especially with a group.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3813490.pdf

You just volunteered to be the ride leader/event organizer. haha. My preference is almost always the free campsites and any campsite would have to be able to accommodate our group size as it appears to be growing. I'll have to discuss this ride with my co-rider to see what dates are available for us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can tell you all this, that if we are thinking NE Oregon in the spring, then late May is about the earliest you can access much of the mountain areas. The lower elevations are ok, but depending upon snow pack and the simple fact that winter hits late up here anymore, the riding will be extremely limited until at least then. The biggest problem is many of the roads and trails will have large drifts that are difficult to navigate and some essentially impassable. So with that said, I would recommend Memorial weekend or later.
Another really cool place to look at is Morrow County ORV Park, I will attach a link. The cool thing about this place is that you can reserve a group site, they have some small cabins available as well and the bathrooms are just awesome! They have porcelain toilets, sinks and showers with instant hot water. The park is 9,000 acres, but what makes it really great is it is attached to the West End (Sunflower) riding area which is 92,000 acres. Lots of roads and trails to explore, and several fire towers that are (or used to be) open to go up and look around.

Morrow-Grant County Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Park | Morrow County Parks
where to ride oregon
where to ride oregon

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Thanks for the info WHS. I'll have to look at the links you posted.

I'm with ejfranz for no earlier than June. For instance, last year we wanted to go to the Wallawa gathering (motorcycle gathering) and it was cold and rainy most of the time. We didn't go as the forecast was calling for a bunch of rain. They had the rally in early June 2017 (7-11) and this year it's 7-10. I think they do it this early to avoid Fathers day (17 June this year). I personally am fine with a ride on fathers day weekend cause that's what I like but I know it generally doesn't work that way so I'd say probably after fathers day weekend at this point but not ruling it out. Plus, I would really want to be there for more than just the weekend. Like any basically unorganized ride like our gatherings at Moab, people can come and go at their pleasure to fit their own schedules.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Oregon state park web sites seems to loosely define ATVs and ORVs as “designed” or “intended” for off road operation so my point was that a plated TW200 does not meet this definition anywhere else in my experience. No where in limited research of Oregon DMV, state law, state law definitions, or Park System to they cite a statute or policy that authorizes them to lump duly licensed and registered motor vehicles as ORVs or ATVs once they leave pavement or based on any other criterion. Lots of information going other direction for regulations, statutes and authority to operate ATVs and ORVs on public roads but nothing that defines when a duly licensed motor vehicle becomes a class I,II, III, or class IV ORV.
Perhaps if Oregon stated that their regulations in greater detail confusion might be avoided. Like if you pull your car off the pavement onto a state public road shoulder are you suddenly an ORV or ATV? Same for a general aviation aircraft setting down on a dirt strip, is it now an ATV or ORV since airplanes meet Oregon state’s loose definition of what legally constitutes a motor vehicle according to their official Oregon.org legal definitions website? Unfortunately citing inaccuracies and ambiguities in published materials rarely constitutes a viable defense in court.
Obviously one can not fight a state’s or park’s policy at the time of receiving a citation by quoting state law and DMV regulations.; one would likely end up in court and receive an explanation that one is is violation of a "policy" and please pay the fine(s).
The classifications you listed for those that don't know.

Class I (quad), Class II (jeep) vehicles, Class III (motorcycle), and Class IV (side x side) vehicles.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
I really like the way this TW200 Forum is evolving so that many members are now getting together for group rides in various destinations.
Not too many years ago the idea of something like the Moab gathering of the clan, or the NorCal Group Rides was a rarity. Now we have seen gatherings in the Northwest, Quartzite and others. I remember watching a video years ago from Singapore or somewhere with thirty or so TWs touring around and it just looked so impressive.
Being able to meet and ride with folks we only knew over the internet somehow adds great value to the whole motorcycling experience. I would encourage others to meet up when possible, it really can be fun.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would agree with Admiral that either Father's Day weekend, June 14-17, or the following weekend would be best. Most, if not all, of the trails will be accessible by then and the fire season/restrictions hopefully will not have started yet.
Additional, the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree is June 7-10. So, if those coming to our gathering had an interest in doing it, and enough vacation time, they could spend 10 days between the Enterprise and La Grande areas and do lots of amazing riding. There are definitely enough rides to occupy the time.
This is just a suggestion.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
We still need to finish, or should I say start over, the Dug Bar Ride...during non or less Rattle Snake time. :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
I guess I'm smarter than I thunk I was...just challenged and passed the Oregon OHV class, the cards on its way. Looking forward to riding with everyone, fingers crossed that the dates work out.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Excellent :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well done on getting your card. I've lived in NE Oregon for over 5 years now and haven't gotten around to getting one yet. When I talked to the guy at our local Moto shop, he said that LE Officers in Wallowa County don't care about them. However, I will get one before Spring comes because those big city cops around La Grande might be sticklers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm not a fan of bureaucracy and the over regulation of everything, I do understand the need to make sure irresponsible people do get some training and protect them from themselves. However, a little chlorine in the gene pool allowing idiots to take themselves out of the pool isn't necessarily a bad thing. Since I will be coming from Idaho, I think it makes sense to have this with me in the odd chance I do get asked. Some of the official types take things way to seriously where others are much more realistic. I'm looking forward to a good time, not getting hassled.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yay, a ride to look forward to!!! Can we agree to plan for Father’s Day weekend? Before you say yes, you might want to clear this with your significant others and kids as they sometimes have their own thoughts about what you should be doing on that weekend!
Our kids are all old enough to know we only care about ourselves now. Giggle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am good with that weekend, all I need to know is where everyone would like to set up (??) I would plan on going up a few days before to secure a sight(s) as neither Winom, Frazier or Umapine can be reserved.

Frazier Campground - Has a couple of group sites, $25.00 at night per sight and is just off the main road for easy access. Pit toilet and water only. Probably the easiest to access and closest to major highways (like 40 miles to I84)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umatilla/recarea/?recid=56535
Winom Campground - Has a couple of group sites as well, no charge for camping, but a little more remote to get to and another 30 miles from Frazier.
Winom Creek Campground in Northeast Oregon
Umapine ORV Trailhead and campground - another free site, but 8 miles down a gravel road and small, but could easily accommodate us.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recarea/?recid=52133
Morrow County ORV - Has several group sites, great bathrooms with hot showers and they are free, but is also more expensive (but not that bad, like $15 a night), and can be reserved. But this is also not in the LaGrande area, but over between Heppner and Spray.

There are several other areas for camping around the area, but these are all in ORV areas, so some noise is ok and to be expected. Although Winom and Frazier are pretty mild as they are just campgrounds. Morrow county gets busier with ATV's and such, but is connected to the Sunflower area and has hundreds of miles of back roads. However, with Winom or Frazier you can take a day run to Sumpter and tour the dredge, and there are a number of back roads and an easy 25+ mile trail nearby Sumpter as well. Also if you want to do Dug Bar it probably wouldn't happen from Morrow County as it's like 200 miles to Enterprise. So I would recommend sticking either Winom, Frazier or Umapine. I have camped at every one. Unless somebody has a better suggestion?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks WHS. That weekend works for me, and I would cast my vote for the Frazier campground just based on proximity to the main roads, but I will attend regardless of which campground is chosen.
My tentative plan would be to take Thursday and Friday off of work and leave Enterprise Thursday morning. So I could be at the campground by around 11-12 to stake claim if needed. I will likely leave Saturday evening to head for home.
I look forward to meeting and riding with other members of the forum. If any of you are half as great as admiral and Mrs admiral, then it should be an excellent weekend.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I am good with that weekend, all I need to know is where everyone would like to set up (??) I would plan on going up a few days before to secure a sight(s) as neither Winom, Frazier or Umapine can be reserved.

Frazier Campground - Has a couple of group sites, $25.00 at night per sight and is just off the main road for easy access. Pit toilet and water only. Probably the easiest to access and closest to major highways (like 40 miles to I84)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umatilla/recarea/?recid=56535
Winom Campground - Has a couple of group sites as well, no charge for camping, but a little more remote to get to and another 30 miles from Frazier.
Winom Creek Campground in Northeast Oregon
Umapine ORV Trailhead and campground - another free site, but 8 miles down a gravel road and small, but could easily accommodate us.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recarea/?recid=52133
Morrow County ORV - Has several group sites, great bathrooms with hot showers and they are free, but is also more expensive (but not that bad, like $15 a night), and can be reserved. But this is also not in the LaGrande area, but over between Heppner and Spray.

There are several other areas for camping around the area, but these are all in ORV areas, so some noise is ok and to be expected. Although Winom and Frazier are pretty mild as they are just campgrounds. Morrow county gets busier with ATV's and such, but is connected to the Sunflower area and has hundreds of miles of back roads. However, with Winom or Frazier you can take a day run to Sumpter and tour the dredge, and there are a number of back roads and an easy 25+ mile trail nearby Sumpter as well. Also if you want to do Dug Bar it probably wouldn't happen from Morrow County as it's like 200 miles to Enterprise. So I would recommend sticking either Winom, Frazier or Umapine. I have camped at every one. Unless somebody has a better suggestion?
Great info WHS. I can't speak for everyone but it does look like the majority of us have campers with toilets so I don't think that is a problem. Driving a gravel road to a camp area won't probably be a problem either as long as it's not a non-maintained 2-track. Not Fred's fault cause he don't blade the roads, but down on the Carson Pass ride this fall the dirt road to camp was only like 1.5 miles but was pretty rough. And by pretty rough I mean it bounced the pots and pans out the camper drawers...and my drawers out of their drawer. :D So if it's just a gravel road I think we're alright but ya'll know the area better than us foreigners.

You've mentioned liking Umapine I think and it's free so something like that is what I prefer but we can pay if needed.

If Wa Larry (aka lrppcer) could add the names to post number 1 this list wouldn't get lost or buried in the thread but here are the names so far. I know the list will ebb and flow so it's a working list up till the day the ride ends. I'll try to keep track but with poor eyesight and graying hair I can't guarantee, It'll be accurate at all times.

Wa Larry
BkCntryCrwlr
ejfranz
Bodi
Admiral
Mrs. Admiral
Mountain Yawp
WHS

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for getting this up and rolling Larry, And for all the good ohv info admiral ,EJ and everybody.
The middle of June would probably be the best time. We were in the Blue Mountains, on the washington side,( south of pomeroy, west of Anatone ) last year in mid June. A big snow year, the flowers were gorgeous, temps perfect, and highest road (,4000? feet )was closed with a big snow bank. There is some good riding to be had there as, as WhS, and most of you probably know, but a lot more trails and roads are probably to be had on the Oregon side. I am open for any of the recommended areas and dates.
Love your saying Mrs Admiral, Yes its my (fathers) day, to do what I want to do. Being in the woods, meeting up with ya'll good folks, can't think of a better way to spend it !

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Okay, I've updated post #1. I, too, would like to thank WHS and the others for the great info and offers to arrive early to secure sites. I may also be able to do that since I am seriously considering trying the Jamboree in Enterprise the weekend before as well. As for the campground, I'm with mountain yawp and would prefer Frazier, but I will go wherever. I like the access to the main hwys. It is also the closest to town in case there is need to run for supplies. Also, there are a couple choices for lodging in Ukiah in case anybody wanted to attend, but didn't want to camp. These FS campgrounds are $10/site or $25 group site per night. So, not going to break the bank. Plus, if anyone has the National Pass, like the America the Beautiful Pass, the rate is discounted. My 2 cents.

This is getting exciting!

21 - 40 of 215 Posts