·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prelude

Morning at Moose Creek Reservoir-North Idaho

Mica Mtn.-North Idaho

Dogs are weird. Roscoe sleeping with his snout propped up in the corner

Georgie has kidney failure and supposedly only has a short time left. I'm glad she was well enough to travel. We saw her swim for the first time ever right near this dock a short time after this photo.

The dogs traveled really well and pretended to like each other

Riding in the Black Hills was awesome

A TW taillight and 3M Dual-Lock make for a good improvised camper taillight. Even left the mud on from the last ride.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Georgie sure has made quite an impression on all who have seen her ride the TW. Must be terribly sad to see her slowly fade.
Quick Hi-jack: I met Admiral and Georgie when they came to do an engine installation with a motor that evan had brought to my place. Little did I know how well Georgie could ride off-road.
First half of video is the test ride after the install to my picnic spot. Georgie didn't come on the second half of video for the open country ride.

Now back to the Black Hills! Great photos so far, more please.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So we started our trip back east by driving up north to meet the girls for a couple days.

No Moose in Moose Creek Reservoir. I looked.

Mornings are peaceful

Went "rutting around" early with one of the girls boyfriends on nearby trails with me on Scoob and Boyfriend X on Squirrel. (TW & XT)

Later that day out on the trail we came across another rider (not in our group) who tried to use their ATV as TV Movie Stunt vehicle. It didn't work out so good. Here we all watch Mrs. Admiral tip it back over onto it's wheels. It's hard work being the "camera man".

We then took a brief stop at a mine on Mica Mtn. just north of Deary, ID. That's Deary not Dreary.

Hoppers at the mine. The forest is reclaiming most of the rest of the mine area as the buildings have mostly fallen over with only cement foundations left and overgrown mine trails. Even the hoppers are almost enclosed by the trees.

End of the day back at camp. Georgie enjoying the lake views. Until we got our big camper we had to leave the dogs at home. Now we can take them with since we have the room. I think the dogs are happy about that.

Of course we had to take this road to continue our trip when we headed east towards the Black Hills to meet my sister and brother-in-law to go riding. There is a prize if anyone can tell me where we found this sign. The sign is real. Hint: it's in a town in Wyoming.

To be continue. Movie at 11.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until the video is done, here is a little Mica Mtn. Mine history.

This is a picture of some Muscow mine workers on Mica Mountain near Deary, Idaho, before 1910. The mine was discovered by J.T. Woody of Moscow in 1881. It operated until 1919 and opened again in 1942, because of the demands for mica to be used as electrical insulation in the emerging electronics industry during World War II. Sometime after the war the mine closed again. The people in the picture are: first row (left to right) Ernest Schell or Art Craine, Joe Bower, John Bentz and John Simpson. Back row: unknown, George Bentz, unknown, Mr. Wells (?), and Fred Lunsford. Also, somewhere in the picture is Levi Shortridge. The name of the man in the front peeling the potatoes is unknown.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Why that looks like Brancho Charlie's long lost cousin Floyd. Everyone thought the injuns had gotten him. brancho charlieCMiller_Getty463313227.jpg

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moose Creek Reservoir Video Part I

Part I. A morning ride on some trails around Moose Creek Reservoir outside of Deary & Bovill, ID in Northern Idaho. A little warm-up ride before the Mica Mtn. trail ride later in the day.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mica Mtn. North Idaho Part II

Head for the hills. In this part we ride the trail to Mica Mtn., help some other ATV folks who tipped over their ATV, stopped at a mine and then headed back to camp but not before going through the bird bath.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice treed riding area. One of the trails in the second video looked steep.
There are a few spots with some steep inclines but the one in the video adds the loose rock and rock steps which are actually kind of hard to see in the video. I get a little more attentive if these areas. It was steep going down the south side of the mountain also but you can't tell in the video so I didn't show much of that. Much of it was like Winom-Frazier OHV but even more jungle like.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The video before the other ride videos to get you into the mood.

[h=1]Black Hills Trail Ride Communication and Navigation[/h]
We got these motorcycle intercom thingy's a few years ago for a Christmas Present. To keep up with modern times, or so we think, we decided to use them for the first time. To keep the garbled communication down to a minimum, I knew it would be important to keep radio communications brief and concise. Additionally, if you are the ride leader and everyone is depending on you to provide an awe-inspiring ride and to gain/keep their confidence in your navigation abilities, it's import to make quick, accurate snap decisions. They'll thank you for not getting them too lost.

Of course your only hearing one side of the conversation most of the time :)

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Way too entertaining as usual!
Riding along with the Admiral sure is an adventure

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black Hills Trail Riding - The Day Before the Rain

Let me back up a minute. Remember I said dogs were weird. I still can't get over Roscoe sleeping with his snout propped up in the corner of the camper underneath the dinning table. He kind of looks like I sent him to the corner for something he did bad. "Young man (dog) I told you to quit stealing the hot dogs".

We were in Buffalo, Wyoming when we spotted this as we're heading out of town. How fitting.

We arrived a day earlier than we planned so we did what any good early arrival would do. We went riding.

First, we went over to the Forest Service and secured our Black Hills OHV stickers. The OHV was pink which was an acceptable color match for Mrs. Admiral TW

Not just your average logging road. This one still has a log just to remind you just in case you had any questions of it's past life. Lots of the old logging roads have be developed into a trail system.

Hummmmmmm. So this was a logging road too. I'll rename it to a "rocking road". It was bouncy and rough for sure.

Seemed like there was a lot more "rocking road" than there were "logging" roads in the area.

Old Ranch in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This was much prettier in person than the picture can convey I assure you. Very peaceful too as we were the only ones out here bombing around

Rode a little portion of the Centennial Trail NE of Nemo. We hadn't ridden this little section on our last visit and there is still some we haven't ridden further to the NE of where we got on.

Nice non-wet trails today.

We're only about a mile from camp at this spot so it was just a short jaunt. Think we spent about 6-7 hours of riding today.

With such a pleasant sunset we're looking forward to a long hard day of riding tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Black Hills ride looked like it was the last for a while. I haven't even unloaded the TW's from the TWcraft Carrier after I got home from the trip.

Here's a couple photos Mrs. Admiral took of me crossing the log in the post above. Purple started a thread called "Bunny Hopping" and I think that's probably the technique one should use. However, I think I used the Admiral's "Going over a log plopping" method. Hey, it worked.

Preparing to mount err I mean plop

Plopping away

Plopping success

I think this was Mt. Rushmore ahead but I didn't see any of them old president faces on the rock when we rode by. I thought they charged an entrance fee as well but I didn't see no money taking shack.

We seen a deer too. I should say we saw lots of deer but you know how it goes with getting the camera's out fast enough to capture a deer.

This one was like a super model I guess and wanted her picture taken ala' nude.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 2. Rain delay

Pored rain all night and well into the day. I knew the trails would be muddy so didn't even try. I think I would have been by myself anyway.

Jenny Gulch picnic area on Pactola Reservoir

Pactola from the dam

After eating lunch in Hot Springs, SD, it cleared up so we continued our drive (in our pickup) to Deerfield Lake. Neat old cabin along the way

Saw this turtle crossing the road so we stopped to take pictures of him/her. Turtles can actually walk/run/scoot/crawl much quicker than I thought. I barely got a picture of him/her before he/she made it across the road back into the safety of the grass.

The day after the rain was gonna turn out...interesting and fun. Did the trails dry out all the way? I think not!

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Black Hills Trail Ride - The Day After the Rain

So, before everyone was awake or if they were awake before they were ready to ride I did a quick recon of the trail close to camp on the XT200.

It was fun to hear my sister and brother-in-law laughing and having a great time on the ATV.

It had been a few years since I had seen them and this was a great place to meet up.

Oh, there's a couple mud puddles but we'll be ok.

Upcoming, we didn't do it on purpose but the after lunch we find the "adventure trails".

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Later that day...

[h=1]Black Hills Trail Ride Rocky Top[/h]
Found some rocky trails. So much for taking it easy on the last day. Trails like this stay in the memory bank for quite a while.

I did mention it was the day after the rain didn't I

Mrs. Admiral and I cheat and go around the alligator-infested chocolate pool filled lake.

Well, best way to find out how deep it is was to send my sister and brother-in-law in for a "depth test"

I think they liked the "depth test"

...and then the trails attitude changed

As Joe Kenda would say, "my, my, my, what do we have here"?

I think the road paving crew was on strike and they got some less experienced pavers to finish the trail

It seemed like it was relentless and would go on forever

The end is within sight. Well, almost

It was pretty steep, even for the ATV crew.

Ah, finally the end of old Rocky Top

They don't ride much but I think we treated them to a Fred's Easy Ride Trail. Bwahahaha

The crew was happy to get back to camp today that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts