TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have seen spring rides in Utah, winter rides in Arizona, summer and fall rides in the Sierras plus Texas’s Big Bend but nothing convenient for those in the heartland.
How about something in the Colorado Rockies? Could the tremendous beauty and riding opportunities there temp folks to plan a summer outing to meet other TW fans?
Not that I am suggesting that any individual take responsibility to fully host a group ride but surely someone would like to take pride in showing off some of the Rockies beauty and offer to guide.
Don’t be shy otherwise life just passes us by.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd likely be down with that. Lived there for years, but did not ride there. Lots of range in land there too, from dry sandy scrub, lush alpine and high altitude. Colorado has it all. Love to hear from the Colorado riders where to go for a group.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’m going to be in Ouray sept 13-15 for a Jeep jamboree. Planning on being there at least a week early to adjust to the altitude.

We we will eventually head to Quartzsite in mid oct when the temps drop off. So will be killing time somewhere in the region.

i will have the tw, atv, and Jeep with me. I’m real careful after tipping the tw over and it landing on top of me. My leg was swelled up for 7-10 days before the intern injury finally burst. I hit a small 4l rock the bounced me into a 12” rock, and it stopped me dead in my tracks going down hill at about walking speed.

That was my first wreck ever at 70 years old. That video looks like more of my atv or Jeep ride.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It took me a few seconds to realize that was not a TW. First thought was, Fred you're pushing it up that hill. The front tire doesn't look right. That's not Fred.
If we were to do that road it would be at a more leisurely pace.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would love to get a taste of Colorado as well. It's not in the cards for 2018 most likely, as it's a pretty good haul from the Seattle region. I'd love to do a 2+ week trip where I could fit in Colorado in conjunction with a Moab stop. September seems like it would be the time of year, IDK?

·
Registered
6 Posts
colorado

I would love to get a taste of Colorado as well. It's not in the cards for 2018 most likely, as it's a pretty good haul from the Seattle region. I'd love to do a 2+ week trip where I could fit in Colorado in conjunction with a Moab stop. September seems like it would be the time of year, IDK?
hi its don from milwaukee i would be in not to far for me aug or sept are the only times to ride there I have been there in early sept crested butte area stayed at cement creek free camping in that area or there is a primative campground no showers or power just out houses we spent a week there never saw the same trail 2 times its the same as leadville some of the stuff is really hard but fun one trail was called block and tackle google it you will see the fun also some people get sick from the alltitude

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
...... September seems like it would be the time of year, IDK?
I do. The first week of September tends to be great, but by the end of September there is a good possibility of snow in the high country. Two years ago I got chased out of Silverton by a foot of snow on the 21st. I bugged out to Moab where it was still 70. :p Definitely do Colorado before Moab!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Would be close for me, but not sure of work schedule. Only one year on this job, actually only about nine months. I don't know anything about m'c trails there, but my buddies and I do a fishing trip north and west of Gunnison yearly, the young'uns have rented four wheelers and did trails up around Taylor Reservoir. They had fun. I fished with the older guys.lol When the fishing was slow, I thought about my TW on the back roads and trails.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I do not pretend to know Colorado.
Would be nice to explore more than just a taste on a motorcycle.
Colorado is awesome! The Silverton, Ouray area is killer. The alpine loop!! Also crested butte to aspen, Crystal area is off the chart too. Some serious single track in Taylor park

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I'm hearing a bunch of "I've been here", "I'm going there" but no "Let's do this".
Y'all waiting for an invitation?
Everyone too shy to help start a new tradition and meet fellow riders?
And I thought TW owners had initiative and were not hesitant about doing things like riding their bikes to the North Pole and other stuff like that. Oh well....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fred, my first and last ride in Ouray was in 2005. What a amazing territory! Your post reminded me how beautiful and wild it is. What dates would you think would be good?

The KOA there was very nice (13 years ago) but I will call them to get info and rates.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Fred, my first and last ride in Ouray was in 2005. What a amazing territory! Your post reminded me how beautiful and wild it is. What dates would you think would be good?

The KOA there was very nice (13 years ago) but I will call them to get info and rates.
Im sure you would want to plan for July through late August maybe early September. Any later than that and the passes could be snow covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm tossing this idea out for you guys to take the ball and run with it. I'll stand back and pretend I know nothing. This is for you folks east of the Rockies. I'll likely not even come. shultz.jpg

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Being that Moab 18 seems to be waning, at least I haven't seen much about it, I would sure like to see some folks in Colorado. I know Moab has a lot of riding and something for everyone, but riding in forests and maybe running into some game animals is nice.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

It may not be Moab... but it's pretty fine!

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 45 Posts