TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally took the plunge and bought a TW after years of wondering what it would be like to ride one. I sold my CRF250L a few months back as I was never really happy with it so when I saw a crazy deal on a 2018 with a few hundred kms I had to buy it. This thing is an absolute blast to ride. I had no expectations of it being something that its not. I knew it wasn't going to be fast. I live only a few kms from a few logging roads so I aired both the front and rear tires down to 10psi and have left it there. Man can this thing climb! With zero wheel spin! My favourite thing is that the tires absorb the rocks. On my 250L I was constantly bottoming out the front rim on rocks at 12psi. Hasn't happened once on the TW. When I'm out exploring I am constantly looking left and right for anything cool. Trails, lookouts, animals, mine shafts, etc. I find that exploring with the TW is so much easier because I don't have to worry about the front tire being deflected off rocks. I've always had to pay attention and pick the best line when climbing rocky trails. With the TW I can just point and shoot and it will climb. As I'm maturing my adventures are becoming more about the journey and less about how quick I can get to the destination. And the TW is perfect for that it seems!

I've spent a lot of time looking at other peoples builds when modifying my bikes in the past so I hope that by making a build thread of my TW it might benefit someone who is in the process of modifying theirs.

I plan on doing:

1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight-Done
2.) Pro Taper Handlebars-Done
3.) Seat Concepts Seat
4.) Hand Guards-Done
5.) Rear Rack for Rotopax
6.) Bigger Foot Pegs-Done
7.) Tail tidy with LED Brake Light
8.) Led Front Blinkers
9.) Heated Grips
10.) Lithium Battery
11.) Oil Cooler
12.) 55 Tooth Rear Sprocket
13.) O-Ring Chain
14.) Auxiliary Lighting
15.) Windscreen
16.) Skid Plate
17.) Better Front Tire-Done
18.) Foldable shifter lever-Done

Still not sure if I want to do any performance mods as of yet. I'm enjoying the "low and slow" for now.....

Here's a picture of the bike on my first ride completely stock.

IMG_0223.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight

I finished installing the headlight today. Would have taken less than 2 mins but I had to come up with a solution to block out the glare that was now reflecting off the fairing.

IMG_7498.JPG

Since Ive been doing some extensive weather stripping repair on my house I decided I would use some extra I had laying around. Works good. I attached some on the inside of the front fairing and also around the edge of the headlight itself. Time will tell how well this holds up.

IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7499.JPG IMG_7501.JPG

I am very happy with the result. Won't know how much better the beam pattern works until I can take it for a test drive. Snow on the ground right now so it will have to wait. Regardless, I know the light output is better than stock, it looks badass, and it uses less power which will be of benefit when I run heated grips and auxiliary lights.

IMG_7502.JPG IMG_7503.JPG

I've heard that the lens scratches easily so I plan on getting a screen protector for an ipad and cutting it to size to fit the headlight.

Specs:
Low: 1,100 Lumens @ 20 Watts
High: 1,800 Lumens @ 15 Watts (35 Watts Total)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice comprehensive list. Maybe think about a beefed up skid plate like a Ricochet too.

I finally took the plunge and bought a TW after years of wondering what it would be like to ride one. I sold my CRF250L a few months back as I was never really happy with it so when I saw a crazy deal on a 2018 with a few hundred kms I had to buy it. This thing is an absolute blast to ride. I had no expectations of it being something that its not. I knew it wasn't going to be fast. I live only a few kms from a few logging roads so I aired both the front and rear tires down to 10psi and have left it there. Man can this thing climb! With zero wheel spin! My favourite thing is that the tires absorb the rocks. On my 250L I was constantly bottoming out the front rim on rocks at 12psi. Hasn't happened once on the TW. When I'm out exploring I am constantly looking left and right for anything cool. Trails, lookouts, animals, mine shafts, etc. I find that with the TW it's so much easier because I don't have to worry about the front tire being deflected off a rock. I've always had to pay attention and pick the best line when climbing rocky trails. With the TW I can just point and shoot and it will climb. As I'm maturing my adventures are becoming more about the journey and less about how quick I can get to the destination. And the TW is Perfect for that it seems!

I've spent a lot of time looking at other peoples builds when modifying my bikes in the past so I hope that by making a build thread of my TW it might benefit someone who is in the process of modifying theirs.

I plan on doing:

1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight
2.) Pro Taper Handlebars
3.) Seat Concepts Seat
4.) Cycra Hand guards
5.) Rear rack for Rotopax
6.) Bigger Foot pegs
7.) Tail tidy with LED brake light
8.) Led front blinkers
9.) Heated Grips
10.) Lithium Battery
11.) Oil Cooler
12.) 55 Tooth rear sprocket
13.) O-Ring Chain
14.) Auxiliary lighting
15.) Windscreen

Still not sure if I want to do any performance mods as of yet. I'm enjoying the "low and slow" for now.....

Here's a picture of the bike on my first ride completely stock.

View attachment 185316

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Don't forget the front tire, the Shinko 241 is amazing off road, and really likes to stand up on the pavement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unless I did something incorrectly trying to install the screen protector ,I couldn't get it to stick to the slight curve of the JNS light.
Good to know. I've seen that you can buy diy kits of that 3M paint protection film so maybe I will have to give that a try instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget the front tire, the Shinko 241 is amazing off road, and really likes to stand up on the pavement.
Added to the list. I haven't had any issues with it since lowering the tire pressure to 10psi. That obviously won't work when I want to start venturing further on the pavement so a swap will most likely have to happen sooner rather than later. I will check out that specific tire. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
2.) Pro Taper 1 1/8" Handlebars

I have had the bars on the bike for a few weeks now and what a difference! So much more comfortable when cruising sitting down. Huge improvement when standing up going over big bumps. No more hunched back. I used the Pastrana FMX Pro Taper Contour for this bike and my last 4 bikes. It is the highest rise bar that pro taper makes without going to a atv style. Based on my measurments the bars are about 3" higher than stock.

I used Pro Taper universal bar clamps to go from the 7/8" to 1 1/8".
IMG_7505-1.jpg
I had to grind down the pins that prevented the throttle and brake lever from rotating on the stock bars. Instead of trying to drill holes in my new bars I just used a few wraps of electrical tape.
IMG_7509-1.JPG

IMG_7510-1.JPG IMG_7511-1.JPG IMG_7512-1.JPG

Grips are Torc 1 Racing.
Bag is a Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag.
Mirror is a CRG round folding mirror.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Love dem ProTapers.
ATV High is perfect for me...I've had them on a KLR 650, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Kawasaki ER6-N 650 and now the TeeDub.
Unusual that the same bend has been right for 4 very different bikes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love dem ProTapers.
ATV High is perfect for me...I've had them on a KLR 650, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Kawasaki ER6-N 650 and now the TeeDub.
Unusual that the same bend has been right for 4 very different bikes!
I just figured if they worked on my last bike why mess with a good thing. I have been lucky 4 times I guess......I looked up the specs on the ATV High. If my math is correct its about 1/8" more rise than the Pastrana Fmx so our bars are pretty similar. I agree they are awesome! Mandatory upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great lights! Would you mind telling us where you’re getting your parts and how much they cost as you’re doing your build. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Added to the list. I haven't had any issues with it since lowering the tire pressure to 10psi. That obviously won't work when I want to start venturing further on the pavement so a swap will most likely have to happen sooner rather than later. I will check out that specific tire. Thanks for the recommendation.
Get yourself a little compressor or pump of some sort and you can change tire pressure as needed.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
that's a pretty comprehensive list. who'd think a "new" bike would "need" so many fixes... and would still be so beloved by so many.
you may want to think about bark busters...

enjoy it!

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
1,800 lumens doesn't sound like a lot illumination for an adventure build if one intends to do much trail riding after dark. I run a rated 5,500 and 6,500 lumens on my two bikes and still wish for more in many an off-road situation. Aiming point could be a bit further out but you get the picture. Actual useful illumination is brighter than camera captures.

3,500 lumen H4 headlight casts broad illumination but some more focused 20W pods can cast light farther down the trail. They create the square boxes of light actually visible in daylight. 3,500 lumen H4 highbeam pattern depicted from about 2 minute mark to 2:30 in video.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts