TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can never price these things out, they are so all over the place depending on the person.

·
Read Only
173 Posts
Look at it this way... there are still some new 2018 on the showrooms across the country that are still around $1000 more if that helps you out. My biggest questions for that asking price even though the miles are low would be about the break in maintenance and if there are any mods, what they are, and what it would cost to buy those out of pocket separately. It comes down to - what kind of miles were those first 1000. I've seen bikes for sale that had hardly any miles that were obviously hydrolocked and damage done and they were desperate to sell to the unknowing to break even... and someone eventually will come along and get bit.

Something I always like to do is ask to use my compression tester on their bike (for the TW you'd need the 12mm fitting) and take a 3/8" ratchet with a deep well 18mm. Ask that they don't run it prior to you coming and maybe bring them a spare NGK DR8EA gapped to .026 to replace the one you pull out just to be polite. That thing should be reading at least 125 cold (and remember to open the throttle while you do it). Mine has less than 1000 on it and I've got 135 psi (was recently wanting to see if my WOT riding is having any effect on my second hand 2013 and so far, not hurting it a bit). If that test gets down around 110 psi I'd walk away. Checking the oil is all but useless as most people about to sell will put fresh in but you can't hide a bad valve/seat or piston rings on the compression test. (replace their plug to 156in.lb.) A voltmeter is also useful for the TW. Before firing it up, pop the seat off (10mm nutdriver) and see where the battery is at and also check the voltage once running to verify your regulator which is also giving you a good or bad indication of stator condition. Once those two look good it's test ride time. If all looks good, I'd consider that a great deal. I paid 3 grand for my 2013 with 300+ miles on it just earlier this year. Location seems to be the biggest price factor on these when buying used. I saw a 2017 earlier with 900 miles for $2000 in MI. If I was close to that I'd buy that one for my daughter yesterday.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That would be over $4000 in Arizona. You are lucky if you can find a 1999 with lower mileage for under $3000 out here!

·
Registered
302 Posts
If a new one is 4K is saving 700 bucks worth the risk?? Cause a lot of damage can be done in 1000 miles.

Been looking at bikes again this fall hoping to find a deal. Yeah right, all that's out there are over priced trashed out junk. Sorry but I'm not going to spend $2500 to $3500 for a 10 year old bike with 3000 miles and up. Would rather buy new so I know what I got. Christ I found a 2009 3200 miles with a few cheap extra's for $3800, WTF. C'mon people. You know you can pick a nice DRZ400SM for that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If a new one is 4K is saving 700 bucks worth the risk?? Cause a lot of damage can be done in 1000 miles.

Been looking at bikes again this fall hoping to find a deal. Yeah right, all that's out there are over priced trashed out junk. Sorry but I'm not going to spend $2500 to $3500 for a 10 year old bike with 3000 miles and up. Would rather buy new so I know what I got. Christ I found a 2009 3200 miles with a few cheap extra's for $3800, WTF. C'mon people. You know you can pick a nice DRZ400SM for that.
New they are $4800, you are correct BUT.......you are forgetting all the fees they tack on! That can easily bring the bike close to $5800+! I have seen quotes at Ridenow in Phoenix of $6500 OTD!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought my 2010 T-Dub with 2600 miles for $3400 here in MN a couple years ago. It looked 100% clean, not ONE spec of dirt, and shined like new. And, I LOVE IT. Your deal sounds quite fair. As for mileage, these little bikes are TANKS. Even abused, they are robust. If the bike look like new, it will certainly run like new. Mechanical simplicity is why. Even with no oil changes, the engine should have suffered no damage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yea, I mean, that's more than $1k savings from a 2018 off the showroom floor in most places... assuming it's in good condition and they didn't wreck it, bend the frame, etc. Check the clutch and everything.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Prices DO VARY with add ons....do the math. One can easily add $3000 to a bike. RACKS, PEGS, BARK BUSTERS, GPS, BETTER HANDLE BARS, SHIFTERS, LIGHTS,TIRES, BIGGER TANK. That used bike with 5000 miles may have an additional $2500 in it. It may become a great deal for one whom is not handy and can't do the work themself. Just know what you're looking for AND AT and perhaps it may be a great deal. Soooo that $2500 bike with over $2000 in extras may well be worth $3500.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I bought a '16 with 840 miles. $3400 asking, offered $3000. Took just over a week if I recall before he text back. Deal.
I was lucky to get it after looking for about a year in my area. It was well cared for by his wife(actual owner) and obviously always garaged.
I would say if decent, jump on an '18 at that price even if an offer of three doesn't do it. You will regret $300 not spent in the longevity of one of these if you tend to hold on to one for some time.
If kept two years or more and ridden, it is a very cheap form of entertainment. Then factor in resale value, add entertainment value and it is actually an investment! :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
That’s a great price especially if you are out west. I was looking for a few months and every one with low miles was over $4K. A friend that does IT at a dealer and buys quite a few bikes could only get a brand new one out the door for $5,200.
I saw a 2018 with 285 miles and called immediately and drove 3.5 hours to buy it that day for $3K and he had multiple calls after me but honored the first come first served. Really nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to buy a brand new 2018 still on the floor with 17 miles from the Missoula MT dealer for 4250 plus 170ish for a state of MT fee. Now he had 2 other 2019s I think sitting inside and apparently they were used for some kind of bike riding training program they do, and I don't recommend the dealer at all except for price, but when all I'm finding is 3500 for 5+ year old bikes I'll definitely pay 700 more for a bike I know nobody has messed up, even if I have to put new sprockets and racks on. I just don't trust other riders enough to take a chance when price differences are that small.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seems like a good deal. I have seen 2016's, and older running that. I am buying a 2019 for $3,800 brand new Wednesday. Just wasn't enough of a savings to go used for me, but a 2018 is a different story. Looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I purchased a 2017 with 2200 miles for ZAR25000 in South Africa. The Rand /dollar exchange is at R15 to 1$ so that equals to about $1666. I think that was a pretty good deal as the bike is still spotless.:D
And a soon to be enjoyed retirement gift. :)
Great deal Nichea. Come on December!

Marty

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can go to Kelly Blue Book for motorcycles. They will give you trade-in and retail prices for your area. It is a great place to start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts