TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought it home about 5 PM, today.
Removed all cowlings and got acquainted (assembly done well, other than minor OCD issues)
Adjusted clutch and front brake perch.
Replaced F & R turns with LEDs and brake/tail with LED
Mounted Seal-N-Air to left tool box under front left cowling (factory tools under right)

Right, all cowlings on.JPG
Left, all cowlings on.JPG
Left, all cowlings off.JPG
Left, battery.JPG
Left, front cowling off with Seal-N-Air.JPG

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rockit:
Re your PM:

I used Slyvannia LEDs, which are available at AutoZone or O'Reilly's
Sylvania LED Turn Signal Light Mini Bulb 1157SYLLED - Read Reviews on Sylvania LED #1157SYLLED

1157 for the dual element front turns/running lights and for tail/stop.
1156 for the single element rear turns

They flash more rapidly, so I may get another timed (rather than load based) flasher. I had bought one for the TW200, but gave it away after I sold it.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/

Indicator lights are LED, so the only incandescent on the bike is the H4 healight.

Reactions: Rockit

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Eagerly awaiting your impressions after some time with it!
Should post after Red Rock, today.
Bad cold came on yesterday, so I do not know how much I will ride.
Sleeping elevated on a recliner helped.

First impressions, compared first to my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
Lighter (293 versus 417 pounds)..not enough to trigger the electric exit gates where I live!
Narrower
Fantastic turning radius
First 600 miles of break-in is NTE 1/3 throttle.
Don't think I used more than 1/4 throttle (heavy traffic across town) and still got up to 51 MPH.
At about 45 MPH, I am looking for another gear...but I am ALWAYS looking for another gear!

No room under the seat, without obstructing air filter snorkel.

Glad I could fit Seal-N-Air under fuel tank on right side, but will need a tail bag for my sockets, foot pump, patch kit and tire irons

Factory tool kit will do a lot, but I plan to take my 1/4 drive tools on distance rides.

The factory tool kit consists of:
4 mm, 5mm & 6mm Allen L
19 x 22 mm box wrench
6mm x 10mm, 8 x 10 mm, 12mm x 14mm open end wrench
combo (3/16, #2, #3) screwdriver pliers

A lot of the bike can be disassembled with the 3 sizes of Allen,
8, 10, 12, 14 mm sockets and a #3 Phillips.

Compared to TW, with only a few miles on the clock:
Moderate throttle allows going with traffic, versus WOT.

With 2.6 gallons at 76 MPG, the range is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I used Slyvannia LEDs, which are available at AutoZone or O'Reilly's
Sylvania LED Turn Signal Light Mini Bulb 1157SYLLED - Read Reviews on Sylvania LED #1157SYLLED

1157 for the dual element front turns/running lights and for tail/stop.
1156 for the single element rear turns

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/

Thanks for the info, SD.

I was going to ask the same question.

As for reaching for an extra gear, I find myself doing the same thing on the highway.

Since the XT 225 had six gears, I can't figure out why they went with 5 on the 250.

One more thing.......

After 10 years of maintaining and fooling with the TW's carb, the fuel injection on the 250 is a joy.

Although I did notice there's about 30 pages in the service manual explaining the various "fault codes". :(

jb

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very nice and admittedly sexy compared to the TW.
Good Luck and Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
18,169 Posts
Why 244's in versus to the many other options?
I have a 2014 XT 250, have 7400 miles and will soon replace the original tires with shinko 244's , I had three TW's and I like the XT better due to more power and better suspension and more range.

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have FI envy. Is that gas tank plastic? Nice bike.
Metal tank and the bike runs as good cold as warm.
Push the button and instant fire, at normal idle speed...no balk, no hesitation...love it.

This afternoon, I checked on-line at Yamaha of Las Vegas.
They gave me $4700 for a 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II and have it for sale for only $4,999!

Great deal, but would not want to have to deal with Freedom Euro Cycle of Las Vegas for warranty work.

I paid $5999 for it ($8999 retail).

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered a tool size tail bag this evening.
Expect to secure with heavy duty cable ties to grab rails.

GIVI GRT707 GRT707 Waterproof Toolbag 5 Liter | eBay

It will hold what I cannot fit any place else:
tire irons
patch kit
foot pump
Trufuel, if necessary

I think this would work for a TW200, also.
The tailbag I had for it was discontinued.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Smart of you to take it apart and put it back together like you did to check the set up and get familiar with it. As you may have noticed, the rear section of the front fender is very close to the front tire. On a ride last spring I had enough mud stuck on my tire and fender that it literally stopped the bike from moving. After scraping mud off with a rock I was able to eventually get the tire spinning backward and get more mud scraped out. I had brand new 244s front and back when it happened, and I think it had a little less room than the stock front tire had.
Anyway, if you think you may encounter mud in your travels, then altering the back of the front fender is recommended.
PS, that is definitely the best colors they have done on the xt250.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rockit: I realized that I gave the flasher to you.
How did it work out for LEDs?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rockit: I realized that I gave the flasher to you.
How did it work out for LEDs?
It's on my shelf still. I added an LED brake light and compact incandescent rear signals on both my bikes. I took this pic as a side by side comparison before I tackled the second bike:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Let me know if you'd like flasher back. Otherwise I will offer it up next time someone on the forum is looking for one.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's on my shelf still...Let me know if you'd like flasher back. Otherwise I will offer it up next time someone on the forum is looking for one.
The close -in of the rear flashers looks good!
Don't know yet about wanting to change the flasher...maybe the rapid flash stands out more.
Mine are flashing more than 120 per minute and I think the norm is 60-120.

If you for sure do not want to use it, I would take it and likely use it, but you paid for postage to get it.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I have a 2014 XT 250, have 7400 miles and will soon replace the original tires with shinko 244's , I had three TW's and I like the XT better due to more power and better suspension and more range.
Silver{to save me from looking up} What is the Stock Seat Height on the XT250?

·
Super Moderator
18,169 Posts
;)

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Damn that is about my{and the TW Size} ....might have to look this one over...I love the coming Kaw 250 KLX, but that 35' seat height has me concerned....not sure why? Hell the Kaw f11 250 I had in 1974 was at 34 or so...maybe I've shrunk? {Of course all of us over 50 have...to much top weight} :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts