TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I doubt Suzuki will come back to the U.S. any time soon, although apparently the company has begun working with Toyota. Perhaps that partnership will prove fruitful and allow for an eventual return to the states. I believe official specs are to be released soon. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer "features" that come with the standard model, the better. If it were up to me, I'd do away with heating, AC, radio, carpet, etc. I just want a small, light, SIMPLE box-on-chassis-on-wheels with a small, highly efficient and very durable engine and trans. I have read that the new Jimny will come with standard 4x4, which will have a traditional low-range.

It looks great -- kind of a poor man's Mercedes!

EDIT: See post #15 on page 2 for an awesome promotional video of the new Jimny!

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/suzuki-jimny-specs-release-date-3737

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
It does have that Mercedes look to it.

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
27 Posts
I worked in a suzuki dealer back in the late 80's when the samuri was out. They were awesome, everyone loved them. Unfortunately the roll over reports killed it. The sidekick never took off like the samuri and the swift was just ugly. Look at what used samuri's are going for, if you can find one that is.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading last week that it will be coming to the U.S. as a Toyota branded item. Hell, I didn't even know that they had stopped selling Suzuki autos here.
That would be great.

Reactions: SportsterDoc

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I loved my 62 Corvair.
Great in mud, snow and rain.
Ralph Nadar killed it...never forgave him.

Very happy to see this thread.
I have recently been bemoaning the fact that the Suzuki Samurai and Geo Tracker are no longer available.
Friends in Georgia have a couple old ones to run around their hunting acres (200?)

I've enjoyed my Jeeps, but they are now just so very expensive.

Reactions: gandolf

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very cute. I had a friend that did go over in one but added the wheel rim spacers and longer lugs from the dealer and it was fine.
Just a major mistake in engineering geometry that they never recovered from. Even though it was Suzuki I blame that on GM who was their development partner at the time. Should have known better.
Folks that have bought and modified the old Samurai's (so they actually don't roll over) are sitting on some very nice investments.
Even thought the Geo was basically just a re-badged version it never was as attractive as the Samurai.

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've had the Jimney for a rental car in Costa Rica and Iceland. I would buy that in an instant if they bring it to the US.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Dad had one for awhile. Got it from a guy in California that imports the mini trucks from Japan. So there is a chance they are available.

Reactions: kj7687

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think I had a Samurai stuck in my F 250's exhaust pipe once...

Reactions: jtstdub

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Reactions: kj7687 and jtstdub

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love the little Zuk's!! I've had a 2000 Tracker since new. Well undercoated and maintained it has never had a rust hole and still drives great. I gave it a mild 2" lift and larger tires for a total of 3.5'' of extra clearance. It is now my primary hunting and fishing rig and gets me in and out of where I need to go. Hands down the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have driven the Jimny in Cuba. Much more like a Samurai only with a much better ride. I would seriously consider buying one if it was available here. I picked up a mint 98 Sidekick a couple years ago. Would much prefer a Samurai but I just couldn't say no to the Sidekick. 72,000km on it with approximately 50,000km being towed behind a motorhome. Not bad for a 20 year old vehicle. As good as they are off road it will never see mud or snow as long as I own it.
IMG_3067.JPG

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh geezzzzzz I want one!

US version video:

Jim

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
462 Posts
Solid Axles - front and back!!! It appears like it articulates very well.

Awesome little rig! Jeepers, I bet this thing can tackle any trail - it's so tiny. Put some aggressive tires on it and BAM!

Some time ago, I read that Toyota was building a small, dedicated off-road rig that is supposed to compete with Jeep. I wonder if this is it. US Market would eat this up and ask for seconds.

I know I would.

·
Registered
462 Posts
2019-suzuki-jimny-engine-and-gearbox-options-revealed

Good read. Seems really rugged. Hopefully, if they bring to US Market - they'll up that torque with a little turbo! I love that it's like a traditional truck, being rear-drive when not in 4.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow thanks Peterb, that's an amazing video! Those approach, breakover, and departure angles are looking really good! Without actually looking it up, IIRC, they are pretty close to a 90's compact Jeep Cherokee. A mild lift and slightly larger, mud-terrain tires should make these things really capable! I should be set for the next several years with my two current rides. Perhaps Suzuki will be back by the time they expire (and/or Toyota will offer it!), and I could get one of these as my next vehicle in like 2030 LOL...

Reactions: Peterb
1 - 20 of 26 Posts