TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2022 TW200
8 Posts
Will milk work in a pinch if you're low on oil?

I bet it would...as long as you went with a 3% milk fat or a heavy cream... I bet you could run a motorcycle on milk... tell me I'm wrong!

I mean if motoGP uses race milk... why can't we?

View attachment 226181
LOL
I guess after the little engine "churning" it for awhile it'll run buttery smooth?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Vegas were very reliable with the addition of a 400 small Bock...😀
I had a vega with a 427 and a 4 speed but they "builder" didn't beef up the frame so at 35 the frame rails started to wobble / flex and it got hard to handle lol

I could burn the tire at any speed for any distance at will lol

my buddy let me help him do a clean 327 swap into his vega and it was sweet he even towed a good size ski boat which really seemed to freak people out

He later built a Vega SW with a Buick 215 V-8 aluminum which was a dream to drive and didn't seem to stress the front frame at all - still fast as hell for the late 70's

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Admiral posted this photo in my thread on upgrading a TW200 with a 225 motor. He said his first oil change was much like yours. Follow this link. He posted a before photo and another after SEVEN oil changes. Mine looked like this too after 7 oil changes with just 15 minutes riding between changes. Buy a couple 5 quart jugs of oil and do the same; change oil after running about 15 minutes, enough to get it warmed up to full operating temperature and to boil off moisture. Then drain and refill. No need to check oil filter after the first 3 changes as anything left in there won't be course enough to be caught in the filter.
Also notice Admiral's photo of his carb. Do not be afraid to disassemble your carb and give it a true cleaning. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and it's the best thing for cleaning parts like carbs.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The water in the oil doesn't bother me much....
I've seen 4 wheelers look worse then this after playing in deep mud and water ...
I've seen those boys change their oil 4 times a day .........
What worries me is how long was it run this way ......
Was the water contaminated oil below the sight glass ?
Did the oil in the sight glass look like sludge ?
Pull the spark plug and check the cylinder walls with a flashlight.
The cylinder walls and where the cam rides in the head is where damage should
First show itself..... usually
mike from NC

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
First Placerlode mentions Flagstaff (Denny's on Milton?) then Loghousenut mentions V8 in small vehicles, which takes me down memory lane: Lived in Flag 93-97 and 350 in Datsun PL620 in 82.

Meanwhile, back to topic, great idea from Scootgerbrained to separate clutch plates while flushing/draining.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
97 Posts
Keep us posted on how this turns out Luis. That looks really bad, but these are tough motors. About all you can do is multiple oils & filter changes to try & flush it out, then ride it & see if it smokes or knocks.
At least you know it’s not a head gasket leak and getting coolant in the oil. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
16 oz Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with 16 oz cheapest thinest oil you cany buy.
Pull clutch lever in and rubberband to the handlegrip.
Run bike for a couple minutes and dump oil. Repeat with same ratio and run bike couple minutes longer.

1 quart cheapest oil (is there such a thing anymore) and run again for a several minutes and dump oil.

Replace or wash screen mesh filter and drain plug filter.

Use wet clutch approved 10w-40 and ride bike for a hundred miles or so and strap clutch lever to hand grip again and drain for 30 minutes, clean filters again.

Replinish with your favourite brand of wet clutch approved 10W-40 oil and ride it like it belonged to your ex wife's husband, or, your husband-in-law if you will.

Then close your eyes, tap your heels together three times and repeat after me,

"There's no place like TW200FORUM!"

Then open your eyes and play George Thorogood
"Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job"
and realize it was all a bad dream!

Ride on Brother, Right On!

Marty
Thanks Guys!!!
I will let you know how I make out

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How deep was the lake where it was stored?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not sure exactly. My friends son took it off road. Dropped off to dad almost 2 years ago like this.

i got involved after seeing it in corner of his garage. Thought It was just needing battery and some fresh gas from sitting.

now the true story is unfolding

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I had to scroll back to be sure, but you said this bike starts and runs?! Amazing. What is your involvement with this bike? If it were mine, I'd remove the entire intake all the way up to the cylinder, then clean and inspect everything thoroughly. I would probably take the clutch side cover off and remove the clutch plates. My guess is the steel plates are corroded and need to be cleaned up or replaced.
I'd also remove the header and muffler to see what water damage happened inside those. Same with the stator cover. You have serious water contamination that sat for years. It's not like you drowned the bike and a week went by before you started drying it out.
All pivot points need to be inspected, cleaned and lubed too; swingarm, shock, steering, both axles. Basically go through the whole bike in order to put it back into service and know it will not get further damaged by such neglect.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts