TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welp, the 2020 available in Sandy Beige from August 2019 on, looks like nothing at all has changed or evolved. For better and/or worse. Oh well. Maybe a new color or a change for 2021 then lol, we’ll see.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
What, 3 years running with the same color scheme and not even any "Bold New Graphics" :eek: !?

I doubt if the U.S. Market will ever see fuel injection on the TW. If U.S. emissions standards ever mandated it, my guess is that Yamaha will simply discontinue TW sales here as they done in other parts of the world. Much as I would like to see it, we should be careful what we ask for :(.

Let's just be thankful that the "same old, same old" continues to be made available to us, at least for one more year :D.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Say it isn't so??????? I've been holding out on my purchase hoping for a 2020 fuel injected model???????????
That'll likely never happen :)

They're grandfathered into that bike without having to update everything for emissions. If they go fuel injected, they'll likely have to make many more updates, and that bike will no longer be cheap, thus not nearly as accessible. They'll likely stop making it altogether rather than making it fuel injected.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yamaha must have purchased a boat load of tan paint and plastic molding compound. The 2020 XT250 is tan again also.
I do not think they care so much about these low dollar product lines so much. Low cost to keep going status quo. Especially with US market. Which is not all bad for us.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Like Chevrolet's Suburban, which has been in production since 1933 with a brief interruption during WWII, Yamaha will likely keep rolling the TW out for some 86 years or so with only minor improvements. suburban. jpeg.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yamaha must have purchased a boat load of tan paint and plastic molding compound. The 2020 XT250 is tan again also.
I honestly really really like the TAN. It certainly helped in my decision when buying. I am totally okay with it. Basically as long as they just keep making the bike, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm mildly surprised by this. Euro 5 for motorcycles takes effect for the 2020 model year with requires EFI and onboard diagnostics/emissions monitoring. So to keep selling it, substantial updates would have to be made. Now, that doesn't govern North America, but my guess would be that either the TW gets an update for EVERYONE (they're not going make two substantially different versions of the same bike), or it would just disappear.

I poked around the European Yamaha website and the TW200 is nowhere to be found. The US Website has the TW and XT in this category and it's called "Adventure/Dual Sport". The Dual Sport was dropped from the Euro website, and so are the TW/XT.

My thought is that Yamaha will continue to sell it in NA as long as it's legal to, and that'll be the end of it. If they were interested in updating it, this seems like it would have been the time. Rather, they discontinued it where it's no longer legal to sell, which to me tells the tale they are not interested in investing the R&D to update the bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm mildly surprised by this. Euro 5 for motorcycles takes effect for the 2020 model year with requires EFI and onboard diagnostics/emissions monitoring. So to keep selling it, substantial updates would have to be made. Now, that doesn't govern North America, but my guess would be that either the TW gets an update for EVERYONE (they're not going make two substantially different versions of the same bike), or it would just disappear.

I poked around the European Yamaha website and the TW200 is nowhere to be found. The US Website has the TW and XT in this category and it's called "Adventure/Dual Sport". The Dual Sport was dropped from the Euro website, and so are the TW/XT.

My thought is that Yamaha will continue to sell it in NA as long as it's legal to, and that'll be the end of it. If they were interested in updating it, this seems like it would have been the time. Rather, they discontinued it where it's no longer legal to sell, which to me tells the tale they are not interested in investing the R&D to update the bike.
That would also make sense as to why they haven't updated they color. They generally do that every other year from what I can tell, so not updating it for the 2020 might be a sign that they're winding down to discontinue the TW :(

Sad. Hopefully not.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Europe only gets (or got) the TW125, from 1999 to 2003/4

The TW225 was discontinued in 2007, having started off in 2002

The TW200 is primarily aimed at the USA, with a few units shifted over to Spain

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TW&prev=search
Japan got the TW200 and 225 didn't they? Not sure if they still do, but I thought they've had them for equally as long—with that said, I just checked the Japanese Yamaha site, and I don't see any TWs on there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts