TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I sold my 2017 TW200 because I wanted to get something that was a little faster on the highway. I got a Honda CB500X, which I really like, but it isn't exactly a trail machine. Now, I'm thinking of keeping the Honda but getting something a little more 'off road" I'd like another TW, but I thought it needed an engine upgrade to a 250cc with a 6 speed transmission, a little more suspension travel and capable of cruising at 65mph. I'm thinking of either a Kawasaki KLX250 or a Honda CRF250L Rally. But maybe I'll wait to see what 2021 has to offer. Maybe Yamaha will make a TW250 to address all of the shortcomings of the TW200 in the 2021 model year.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Go with the Honda, great bike/easy choice.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heck pick up a leftover 250 Rally. Saw NEW 2018's for only $3999 advertised at a couple dealers in WI and MN. That's cheaper then a new TW. No brainer IMHO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yamaha WR250R has always been on my radar as a capable dirt and highway bike. It's more expensive, has a high seat, but it's very well built, capable of highway speeds because of its 6th gear, light enough to be flippable on the trail, and strping enough to carry some cargo. If I had one, I'd replace the narrow seat with a more comfortable one for long rides. The T-Dub is weak on power and speed, but it's at the farthest end of the trail/road spectrum, and you have to accept that if you own one. It's classified as an agricultural vehicle, and that's why I like it. Since there is no one bike that does it all, the only option is to own two, or perhaps three bikes. I own three, a huge BMW R1150GS Adventure (long range vacation trip truck), a WWII German rifle scout's service bike (historical interest), and the T-Dub (trail & offroad basic transport). If you think you're happy with one bike, imagine two...!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yamaha WR250R has always been on my radar as a capable dirt and highway bike. It's more expensive, has a high seat, but it's very well built, capable of highway speeds because of its 6th gear, light enough to be flippable on the trail, and strping enough to carry some cargo. If I had one, I'd replace the narrow seat with a more comfortable one for long rides. The T-Dub is weak on power and speed, but it's at the farthest end of the trail/road spectrum, and you have to accept that if you own one. It's classified as an agricultural vehicle, and that's why I like it. Since there is no one bike that does it all, the only option is to own two, or perhaps three bikes. I own three, a huge BMW R1150GS Adventure (long range vacation trip truck), a WWII German rifle scout's service bike (historical interest), and the T-Dub (trail & offroad basic transport). If you think you're happy with one bike, imagine two...!
Who, may I ask, classified it as an agricultural vehicle?
Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
At any dirt bike event, the vast majority are riding 300cc 2 strokes. No matter enduro or desert or trails, This is what works well off road, powerful and lightweight.
The closer you can get to this the happier you will be off road.
This does not work for the street and as others have pointed out, no one bike will do it all so feel free to own more than one

·
Registered
426 Posts
I believe that Yamaha classified it as agricultural when it was first released in the late 80's.
They did? I guess this is the first I've ever heard of it being referenced as related to agricultural. Learn something every day. Now, what was it I learned yesterday?
Scott

·
Registered
816 Posts
Reference to Ag machine;

Also in a post on this forum;

Another reference;

·
Registered
320 Posts
There's a reason the 300cc 2 strokes are heavily favored at the off road events. LIGHT, big bottom torque, good suspensions, easier to ride in hard terrain. I know, I have one. But if I could get a leg over a taller bike like a 350 EXC-F (four stroke) that would be what I would have. There's far LESS engine tinkering on a 4 stroke. Despite the fact that 2 strokes have it all over 4 strokes in terms of engine simplicity, the 4 strokes don't have to be messed with between rides. No oil to mix, better fuel economy (if that's important on a 100 mile event), and far far far easier to street plate. Plating a 2 stroke really depends on the state you live in. And 2 stroke enduro's aren't really good at street riding, and I know that too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
... needed an engine upgrade to a 250cc with a 6 speed transmission, a little more suspension travel and capable of cruising at 65mph. I'm thinking of either a Kawasaki KLX250 or a Honda CRF250L Rally....
Jim, in addition to a TW200, I've owned a KLX250 and now own a CRF250L. The KLX, a 2007 older generation, would cruise all day at 61GPSmph, after which fuel economy/range suffered - the FI models may be better. I swapped for the CRF simply because it had a 3-gallon aftermarket gas tank, bumping full range with a reserve from ±90miles to ±150miles. I find the CRF is a little better on the paved roads than the KLX, I suppose primarily do to the extra few pounds, and can easily cruise up to 64GPSmph. The CRF has a good windshield and some soft luggage makes a nice light tourer. Either KLX or CRF can be comfortble for 250-300 mile days, riding small highways to county/forest service roads. (I did ride the CRF 540 miles one day when called early from a 3-day ride, but the last 140 miles wasn't much fun.)

However, if the ride is less than 200 miles and involves mostly county/forest service roads, I prefer to ride the TW, simply because it makes me :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You would think that using the XT250 FI engine in a TW like Frame would be the logical evolution for this bike since the engine already exists and is proven. I guess there is not much motivation to change anything though since it sells well as is. My local dealer told me he sells quite a few TWs every year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts