TW200 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Three rides to consider?
Suzuki DR200, Kawasaki KLX230 and Yamaha XT250.
Have ridden DR and XT, they both have a lot of the playfulness of TW.
Just a short demo ride on KLX- ok but a little tall for my preference.
Own the XT- pragmatic choice for most riding.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Take this picture to your Yamaha Dealer, ask if it is the 2021 and say you want to put down a deposit.:cool: Ask if the combo shovel/skidplate comes in different colors and if the 110v generator will run a margarita blender.
concept.jpg
conceptf2a42d232d51.jpg

For those in the know they will recall this XTW250 was a factory concept done many years ago but never produced. Don't ask its weight though.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
"In January 2020, Yamaha Japan released the Serow Final Model, [XT250] discontinuing the little bike due to increasing emission requirements. This is it's final year." Wikipedia

If the fuel injected XT250 can't meet emissions standards, how can the TW200?

Perhaps Yamaha has something new planned.

jb

·
Registered
346 Posts
All the talk about emissions. I wish they would just make a 49 state bike and just let CA ride bicycles or walk. Think of all the great bikes that would be made if not for CA.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It's not just CA.

It's the Euro 4, 5, and 6 emission requirements for vehicles sold in Europe. Since manufacturers usually build for a world market, that affects the US too.

jb

·
Registered
34 Posts
The US may be the biggest market for the TW 200 and I think they stopped selling them in some countries such as Japan awhile ago. I also believe that emissions for US at least, are corporate averaged so the carbureted TW could remain here. They seem to be more popular that the XT250's (At least in my area). Interestingly, Kawasaki just recently released a FI, air cooled 230 that's street legal. If Yamaha doesn't come up with something new, they just handed that part of the market over to team green. I always liked that there were less expensive, lower to the ground options with simple to maintain and adjust valve trains. Street legal playbikes. I hope this class isn't going the way of the dodo bird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After watching Yamaha corporate policy decisions for over 30 years I can tell you updates are not going to happen..... Yamaha doesn't work that way. ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Chinese seem to sell a lot of carbureted, air cooled 250 dual sports here in the states. CSC, Bross to name a few. There's probably not much margin selling XT, TW class machines for the big 4 so that certainly is part of the equation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reference to Ag machine;

Also in a post on this forum;

Another reference;
Thats right in SA it is called an agriculture machine. I grew up on a farm and almost all the farmers in that area had a tw in the shed. Used to check cattle herds of sheep and even checking on the fruit orchards. There we called it the "poor man's jeep".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It looks like if Yamaha would just move the TT-R230's engine into the TW chassis and make a few tweeks to the suspension (add a little more travel) they would have a winner!

·
Super Moderator
4,952 Posts
They tried that with the TW225, but kept it as a five speed, and in that form, it works well. But as a six speed, (with standard gearing), it all gets a bit “frantic”. As I said in “another place”, this works if you have an ATV tire, but with the standard gearing, (unless you’re going for the land speed record), there is little to gain

Add to that the frame dimensions and brakes, and realistically, you can’t push it too far – it’s pretty much on it’s limits as it is

In order to do what you are asking for, “A few tweaks” later, and Yamaha would be completely “off-plot” with the TW200. If you want an XT250 or 225, then buy one, they are completely different bikes. “Trials” vs “Trails”

The TW225 ceased production in 2007 – with the increased CC, it remained as a “Hybrid”. Neither road nor trail bike - simply a 225 road bike, with off road capability (and good looks of the TW) ….

21 - 33 of 33 Posts