TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The animal with the sreeming sound that came through your camp could very well have been a cougar. I witnessed one many years ago go after a yearling deer, The sounds that they made are very similar to what you described. The cougar had grabbed the deer and was dragging it down a trail. Sounded like a sreeming child. The cries Chilled me to the bone. Could also have been a cougar that was in heat and was looking for a mate. They also make a pretty good screeming sound.
I was thinking the same, only when they told us how bad the flies were, it seems to me they were close to a herd of elk. Horse flies stay with herds and quite possible a cougar was after a calf.

·
Registered
2x 2022 TW200
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Alright. I'm horrible at this ride report. It's obvious. But let's get back into it and finish it up.

We left off with us just finishing the Magruder corridor from Darby Montana to Elk City. We were camped just west of Elk City for another night of eventful camping.

After taking a dip in the lake to freshen up we went back to camp and started getting ready for bed. This usually involves covering up our motorcycle gear in case of rain as well as putting food stuffs away so we don't attract any unwanted wildlife. It was very peaceful at this campsite and we were excited to have a better experience than hemlock ridge. So off to bed we went. It must have been around 1 AM when we were woken straight up by the sound of someone emptying a full magazine from a rifle a few campsites down from us. I'll be 100% honest here. I am an avid gun guy and enjoy target shooting. I'm familiar with all of the gun safety rules and let me tell what's not considered safe. Firing a whole magazine in a campsite in the dark. Who knows where these people are shooting. We sat in the tent for a while waiting to see if we would hear any more commotion, but nothing happened. We were hoping this would be our last sleep interruption, but we were mistaken. A few hours later I was woken up by my wife because we could hear something crawling around in the bushes next to our tent. This was also accompanied by the most intense smell of skunk. Now a skunk isn't a particularly scary animal, but the thought of our tent and gear being sprayed by a skunk while on this trip was scary. So we tried to go back to sleep while making as little noise as possible in the hopes that we wouldn't be sprayed.

Day 5
Camp site west of Elk City to burgdorf hot springs

That morning after camping we once again woke up deprived of sleep. We had realized that our camping experiences on the BDR this far had been less than ideal. At least we weren't bothered by flies when packing up. Today had us heading down south towards burgdorf hot springs. Today we also took a little liberty from the actual BDR schedule which has you ending in Yellowpine. When planning this trip I wanted a couple days in the middle where we did a little less mileage and stayed at burgdorf hot springs. We also had a hike planned for the following day. This ended up not working out very well especially the next day but I will fill that in later.

So as we headed down south we crossed the river that we camped next to and started climbing the mountains. This section was actually one of our highlights of the entire trip. We ended up on a road called the salmon Grangeville road which was actually paved. Wow this road was good. It was earlier in the morning, the air was crisp, and the views were amazing. This is a road I would love to ride on a bigger adventure bike. It flowed so well. Unfortunately we were too in the moment during this and didn't take a single picture. Trust me if you're in this area ride this road. Anyways you eventually take a detour from the paved Salmon Grangeville road and hit some dirt.

The dirt track leads you to the site of mining town called Florence. There is an old cemetery in Florence which was really cool. We stopped here and looked at all of the interesting headstones. My favorite is pictured below.
Plant Wood Trunk Headstone Grass

It gives you the idea this was a rowdy bunch of folks back in the day. I also have no idea how they established a town way up here in the mountains. The road out of town back in the day must have been horrible. There were tons of headstones to look at all with their own unique stories as well.

As we left Florence we decided to stop in riggins for gas and lunch. Before we dropped down to the salmon we snapped a few pics from way up top on the mountains. This is actually really impressive here. You are near hells canyon and the river is so far below you.
Head Cloud Sky Sports equipment Helmet

We headed down the mountains and stopped in Riggins. We ate at the salmon river inn pizza and sandwich restaurant. I would highly recommend their sandwiches. After we ate and fueled up it was time to head up to burgdorf hot springs. The track has you following the banks of the salmon river for 10 or so miles and then heading straight up an impressive set of switchbacks. Aside from the switchbacks the track here was pretty uneventful until we reached burgdorf. We did however stop at the BDR bus and snapped a pic.
Plant Bus Plant community Motor vehicle Tree

Here is a photo of us arriving at burgdorf hot springs.
Cloud Plant Sky Natural environment Tree

I cannot overstate how much we loved this place. I also don't know if it was because we were here in the middle of the week, or we just got lucky, but we were one of two couples staying here that night. We basically had the place to ourselves! If you do the BDR DO NOT SKIP BURGDORF! Plan your stay here for at least one night. If I were going to do this again I'd plan a rest day here to really enjoy the area. The hosts were extremely nice and even cooked us pizza that night! We got some amazing sleep as well. I'll end this day with a few more photos of the hot springs and our cabin for the night. Hahaha hopefully someone gets a laugh about our face down floating in the springs.

Water Water resources Plant Tree Vegetation

Window Wood Tints and shades Fixture Beam

Water Plant Cloud Water resources Sky

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Green bus is a famous landmark.

·
Super Moderator
15,779 Posts
Beyond cool!! Looks amazing!! (y)

Seems I remember seeing this bus in one of Fred's or Admiral's writeups before.
Fred, Oldworld124, and I did visit it last year when riding & camping just down the road from the Burdorf Hot Springs. I've been to and past the "IDBDR Bus" many times. I even have a photo of the bus before there were any BDR's. Suffice it to say, it's been shot up and molested quite a bit since the early days. I doubt IDBDR rider groups are to blame for the shooting...of the bus! haha.
Land vehicle Vehicle Bus Plant Car

·
Registered
2x 2022 TW200
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Fred, Oldworld124, and I did visit it last year when riding & camping just down the road from the Burdorf Hot Springs. I've been to and past the "IDBDR Bus" many times. I even have a photo of the bus before there were any BDR's. Suffice it to say, it's been shot up and molested quite a bit since the early days. I doubt IDBDR rider groups are to blame for the shooting...of the bus! haha.
View attachment 229912
It is suprising to see how different it looks. Does anyone know the history of the bus?

·
Registered
2x 2022 TW200
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Day 6
Burgdorf Hot Springs to Yellow Pine ID

I hope you are all prepared for an adventure for today's recounting.

We woke up a little later than usual on day 6 because it was going to be a short day to Yellow Pine. When we initially planned this trip we set aside extra time for enjoying Burgdorf as well as attending the Yellow Pine Music and Harmonica festival. We decided before we left that we would have a shorter day to Burgdorf for day 5 followed by another short day to Yellow Pine to enjoy the music in the evening. Our short day did no go quite as planned. After a morning soak in the hot springs we loaded and and started heading out for our first stop. Loon Lake. Now this lake is not actually on the IDBDR, but I've always wanted to go there because of the WWII bomber wreckage that is at one end of the lake. Loon lake is only a few miles down the road from Burgdorf so we figured we'd hike to the bomber head back out and get some lunch in Warren with our next stop being in Yellow Pine in the early afternoon for some festival enjoyment. It was all really quick forest roads to the loon lake trailhead. What I did not realize is the fact that there is ~ 5miles of single track until you get to the north end of the lake, where you then have to hike ~1.5 miles to the bomber. When we got to the single track trailhead I scouted ahead and again decided we would be going two up. So we unloaded my Mosko Moto Bags and removed my rotopax and left them with Mrs. TWoDubs' TW and we set out on the single track towards the lake. The single track wasn't too bad to be honest. It was actually kind of fun! When we got to the south end of the lake we were met with a pretty view as well as a placard with information on the bomber crash. You all should definitely read the story on the placard. It is insane what these men went through during this crash landing.
Plant community Ecoregion Nature Plant Natural landscape

Now go back and read the small fine print to the bottom right on the placard.

Having done very little research on the hike I assumed it would be an easy hike back to the south end of the lake. After reading about the trail to the bomber, and since we had a wetter spring, we decided the eastshore route (bushwacking along the shoreline) would be the easiest. I must say really quick at look lake outlet we also met a nice gentleman who had packed in the night before and had camped. We asked him if he had hiked to the bomber to which he replied not yet (remember him for later). Below is the Lake. We traveled along the left side of this photo.
Cloud Sky Water Plant Mountain

Problem #1
Normally when riding I have become accustomed to riding in my underwear with my Klim riding pants over top. Since the outlet of loon lake was more than a couple feet deep I had to take my riding pants off to cross the outlet. When we got on the other side of the outlet the trail was nice and easy to follow so I put my riding pants back on. We also packed sneakers specifically for this hike. So now that my riding pants were back on and the trail was perfectly easy we began the hike to the lake. Very quickly the trail started to deteriorate. We were met with several really boggy areas that we tiptoed across. This then turned into lengthy boggy sections where we were hopping from dry spot to dry spot, until it just turned into 100% bog. Normally this would be no issue, but since these are my only pair of riding pants I do not want to get them all soaked in stinky muddy bog water. So now I find myself In my T-shirt and underwear with my riding pants thrown over my shoulder hiking through a bog. I have not even gotten to the best part yet. This couldn't be just boggy. No it had to be in a burned area with thousands of downfall trees and extremely dense bushes and vegetation. The sign is correct. There was a s***load of bushwacking. In my underwear and sneakers. My wife was well prepared too. She brought along a nice pair of lowcut sneakers just like me. She also brought a long a nice pair of athletic shorts. It was great that we packed our long pants (NOT), our waterproof hiking boots(NOT), our gaiters(NOT) our long sleaved t-shirst for the bushwacking (NOT), and our minds being fully prepared for a strenuous hike through rough country on our easy motorcycling day (NOT). Now that I have complained sufficiently enough about the hike I did little to no research for during one of the wetter springs Idaho has had recently, here are a couple photos of the wreckage.
Sky Cloud Plant Automotive tire Natural landscape

Plant Automotive tire Natural landscape Wood Tree

The wreckage I will admit was cool, but it was not worth the hike to get there. Maybe in the fall this would be much more enjoyable, especially on the western route where the inlet would be lower. We decided that it would be best to hike back the way we came, because we at least knew what it was going to be like. I will also add it was at this point I started to worry about time. We had taken way too long to get to the bomber. I'm pretty sure that was the slowest I had ever hiked 1.5 miles before. So we begrudgingly started on our way back, unable to even find the route we bushwacked through to get to the wreckage. As we finally started getting back to where there was a trail and no bog we happened upon the gentleman who had camped the night before. I can only imagine what he thought when he saw us. I will describe the scene. Mrs. TWoDubs and I round a corner. She is covered in mud just about to her knees. She has multiple cuts and bruises on her legs and is sweating profusely. I follow shortly behind her also am covered in mud, hiking in my underwear with my pants thrown over my shoulder sweating profusely blurt out "100% WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!" I say this to the gentleman who is hiking with pants, hiking boots, gaiters, hiking poles, long sleaves, and the mindset knowing what he is getting in to. We looked so stupid. It is funny thinking about this now. We are very avid outdoors people. We hike and camp all year round, but this was just not our day. He acknowledged us and said he was prepared for the hike and wished us a good day. We got to the outlet of the lake and washed all the mud off while cleaning our cuts as best we could. I was worried we were going to get some sort of weird infections (luckily this did not happen). We then walked back to the bike and rode two up back to the trailhead. I can say this about Loon Lake. I always wanted to see the wreckage there, now that I have seen it I don't think I'll ever go back. It is a fun story now, but we were not having fun living it (this is how all the best adventures are).

Back on the bikes I was again worried about time. We had ridden maybe 10 miles for the day and it was already like 1:30-2PM. We rode a few miles down to Warren ID where we got the most expensive gas of the trip! I was expecting some expensive gas from some of these really remote towns. Gas was $11 a gallon and was gravity fed out of a drum behind the restaurant. Our waitress (who might I add was awesome) was also the one who unlocked the lock box behind the restaurant to fill up gas. We ate their hand breaded chicken (get it if you are in Warren). I forgot to mention the place is called the Baum Shelter. I would highly recommend this stop. After leaving Warren it was just about the hottest part of the day. The road from Warren ID to Yellow Pine ID was not enjoyable. I think maybe it could have been better had we had a more successful morning, but all we wanted to do was lounge around in Yellow Pine and listen to some live music. In fact this section of road I think I can comfortably say was my least favorite of all of the IDBDR. It was very windy and rocky which caused us to go slower than we would like. This resulted in being jarred around by all of the large rocks at a snails pace to Yellow Pine ID. That being said the views were still amazing. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics during the rest of this ride. We just wanted to get to Yellow Pine where we could have a beer and enjoy the music.

The end of the track near Yellow Pine did open up and started to be enjoyable again. Once you hit Big Creek the road opens up. I will say these were some of the most remote places I have ever been to. It must take ages for anyone to access their cabins in Big Creek or in Yellow Pine (by road that is). Once in Yellow Pine our gloomy moods disappeared and instead were replaced by joy and excitement. We will be coming back to this festival next year for the entire festival. We arrived on a Thursday (the first day of the festival) and I could already tell this was going to be awesome. We pithed our tent just outside of town (essentially 1 block) and walked in to town. We got beers and fair food and sat up some chairs and listened to some folk music. It was amazing. Like I said definitely coming back for this. Just as the last act for the night was getting on we decided it was time for some sleep as tomorrow was going to be one of the bigger days of the BDR. We were heading to Pine tomorrow for a total of ~180miles. That is all I have for now. I will definitely have some more photos of the ride to Pine. Thanks everyone for putting up with the slowest ride report ever!

·
Super Moderator
15,779 Posts
3 of us hiked to the crash site last year same route you two did. I brought shoes and so glad I did. Can’t speak for the others but even though the hike was harder than I expected, I enjoyed it and would do it again. Our only issue is it was smoky for the lake pictures. Someday I want to see the Harmonica Fest before I get to old. Great adventure.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Alright. I'm horrible at this ride report. It's obvious. But let's get back into it and finish it up.

We left off with us just finishing the Magruder corridor from Darby Montana to Elk City. We were camped just west of Elk City for another night of eventful camping.

After taking a dip in the lake to freshen up we went back to camp and started getting ready for bed. This usually involves covering up our motorcycle gear in case of rain as well as putting food stuffs away so we don't attract any unwanted wildlife. It was very peaceful at this campsite and we were excited to have a better experience than hemlock ridge. So off to bed we went. It must have been around 1 AM when we were woken straight up by the sound of someone emptying a full magazine from a rifle a few campsites down from us. I'll be 100% honest here. I am an avid gun guy and enjoy target shooting. I'm familiar with all of the gun safety rules and let me tell what's not considered safe. Firing a whole magazine in a campsite in the dark. Who knows where these people are shooting. We sat in the tent for a while waiting to see if we would hear any more commotion, but nothing happened. We were hoping this would be our last sleep interruption, but we were mistaken. A few hours later I was woken up by my wife because we could hear something crawling around in the bushes next to our tent. This was also accompanied by the most intense smell of skunk. Now a skunk isn't a particularly scary animal, but the thought of our tent and gear being sprayed by a skunk while on this trip was scary. So we tried to go back to sleep while making as little noise as possible in the hopes that we wouldn't be sprayed.

Day 5
Camp site west of Elk City to burgdorf hot springs

That morning after camping we once again woke up deprived of sleep. We had realized that our camping experiences on the BDR this far had been less than ideal. At least we weren't bothered by flies when packing up. Today had us heading down south towards burgdorf hot springs. Today we also took a little liberty from the actual BDR schedule which has you ending in Yellowpine. When planning this trip I wanted a couple days in the middle where we did a little less mileage and stayed at burgdorf hot springs. We also had a hike planned for the following day. This ended up not working out very well especially the next day but I will fill that in later.

So as we headed down south we crossed the river that we camped next to and started climbing the mountains. This section was actually one of our highlights of the entire trip. We ended up on a road called the salmon Grangeville road which was actually paved. Wow this road was good. It was earlier in the morning, the air was crisp, and the views were amazing. This is a road I would love to ride on a bigger adventure bike. It flowed so well. Unfortunately we were too in the moment during this and didn't take a single picture. Trust me if you're in this area ride this road. Anyways you eventually take a detour from the paved Salmon Grangeville road and hit some dirt.

The dirt track leads you to the site of mining town called Florence. There is an old cemetery in Florence which was really cool. We stopped here and looked at all of the interesting headstones. My favorite is pictured below.
View attachment 229895

It gives you the idea this was a rowdy bunch of folks back in the day. I also have no idea how they established a town way up here in the mountains. The road out of town back in the day must have been horrible. There were tons of headstones to look at all with their own unique stories as well.

As we left Florence we decided to stop in riggins for gas and lunch. Before we dropped down to the salmon we snapped a few pics from way up top on the mountains. This is actually really impressive here. You are near hells canyon and the river is so far below you.
View attachment 229896

We headed down the mountains and stopped in Riggins. We ate at the salmon river inn pizza and sandwich restaurant. I would highly recommend their sandwiches. After we ate and fueled up it was time to head up to burgdorf hot springs. The track has you following the banks of the salmon river for 10 or so miles and then heading straight up an impressive set of switchbacks. Aside from the switchbacks the track here was pretty uneventful until we reached burgdorf. We did however stop at the BDR bus and snapped a pic.
View attachment 229897

Here is a photo of us arriving at burgdorf hot springs.
View attachment 229898

I cannot overstate how much we loved this place. I also don't know if it was because we were here in the middle of the week, or we just got lucky, but we were one of two couples staying here that night. We basically had the place to ourselves! If you do the BDR DO NOT SKIP BURGDORF! Plan your stay here for at least one night. If I were going to do this again I'd plan a rest day here to really enjoy the area. The hosts were extremely nice and even cooked us pizza that night! We got some amazing sleep as well. I'll end this day with a few more photos of the hot springs and our cabin for the night. Hahaha hopefully someone gets a laugh about our face down floating in the springs.

View attachment 229901
View attachment 229899
View attachment 229900
That is super cool!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Outstanding!! Challenges just add to the adventure. :cool:

Well, at least I don't have to ask if y'all took a dip in that lake. Wash, dip....same thing. :LOL:

41 - 55 of 55 Posts