1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You have to be at the right place at the right time. Stores do vet it in but it disapears within a matter of minutes. 22 is chea p enough to keep 4-5 thousand for backuo so you dont run out when things gets crazy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I jump on it when it is available via mail order. Had 5000 on order with midway when they cancelled my order when the Communist State of NY banned non face to face sales of ammo in the state. Pi$$ed me off so much that I had friends and family in nearby states place an order for 15000 for me plus another 4000 rounds of .22 magnum. Expected ship dates of June and November of 2014. I'll believe it when the goods are in my hands. Thankfully, I'm not in a bind as I have around 10000 on hand now.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
We have people from all over on this forum, I'm just curious...does anyone live where .22 ammo is now readily available? The below article seems to suggest that the lower 48 States now have supplies, which isn't my experience.

Big shortage of little bullets: Alaskans line up to buy .22 ammo | State News | ADN.com
I drove from FL to NC today, stopping at every Walmart I passed, and 2 Gander Mts, not a box of 22s to be found.

It's been two years since I've been able to buy a box. I don't go out of my way to look for it, but I do check anytime I'm in a store that theoretically sells them.

jb

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I bought 20k rounds over the winter months so I guess I was part of the problem. A buddy and I made the gun store rounds on Fridays to see what we could find. Only 2 times did I find a place that would sell large quantities. I bought a 10- 500 brick case and then a 10- 333 brick case from the same place a few weeks apart. Most of the time each place had a max of one 500 round brick per person per week or 3-100 rd boxes. I did clean out a small place right after he opened the store on a Friday morning and got away with 10- 100 round boxes. As we started buying, the prices started to go up. Back in November a 500 rd brick was $24.95 and in March all we could find were hollow points for $49.95 a brick. I haven't looked since then to see whats out there. I don't need any more.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
SHAG , I do not believe your part of the problem . Part of the problem is the sales staff at said stores......let's say a sporting goods store . I went in to buy 4 or so boxes of .22LR several months ago and the staff member said he could only sell me ONE . The reason was "they" wanted to be fair and give everyone a chance to buy a box . That said , I then asked why was it then, that the week before a different staff member told me it was first come first serve when i noticed they did not have ANY ammo of any calibre......he had a sheepish look on his face and didn't have much to say . Diplomatically , I advised him he was a liar......it all comes back around .

·
Registered
193 Posts
sells out pretty quick up here....I make sure when I see it, I pick up 500 or 1000 rounds. I have enough for a couple of years so I'm good:)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learned my lesson last time around and am well "prepared" but I simply haven't seen it on shelves anywhere I have traveled. I realize people stand in line for a couple boxes that stores get every week, but I sure haven't seen it where you could just walk in anytime and buy a few boxes. I'd hate to be a kid with a new Christmas rifle.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The Gun Shows at Lima{Allen County} Ohio usually have a good supply ... but I have not attended since January...picked up enough .38s and .22lr to supply my needs and the prices were not that bad....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pretty scarce around here. I do ask the staff for the normal delivery day, and then i stop before work. I can find it,but not often.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
never thought I'd need more than a brick on hand to keep that hobby satisfied.
Spend some time around a group of boys with Ruger 10-22's :D They go through .22's like ham sammiches.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Can't really find it here either. But I always do when I see it.

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Prepared for what, exactly? Does someone need 5,000 to 10,000 rounds to keep the ground hogs at bay?

I enjoy target shooting but never thought I'd need more than a brick on hand to keep that hobby satisfied.

Surely, though, there has to be a better explanation than hoarding.
Be prepared to take some kids plinking. I do it often, and can burn through a brick in short order. I plan ahead to try and make sure that I don't run out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Same story everywhere I check in Montana and Idaho. Sometimes its available but everyone says they sell out in a few days. Too bad. My Marlin has a 15 round tube feed. They go real fast. At 10 cents each, it adds up.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts