TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)Went to Cabela's today to get a scope for my new Ruger American .223 and went down the ammo aisles that normally are bare and was shocked to find full shelves hundreds of Thousands of rounds of .22lr .22WRM and shorts and snake shot. 10551845_10203368763371884_849162956_n.jpg Scope is Cabelas Caliber specific for .223 3-12x40.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I came across a few rounds of Remington Golden LR, some HP, some PHP basically for free. Seems they shoot about the same so no biggy mixing them.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I came across a few rounds of Remington Golden LR, some HP, some PHP basically for free. Seems they shoot about the same so no biggy mixing them.
I have no such luck with my Ruger 10/22. Every time I change bullets I have to re sight the scope for pin point accuracy. I am at war with tiny red squirrels at right around 50 yards. Being an inch off is a complete miss and I can never seem to find the same exact ammo in decent quantities. The rifle shoots just fine with almost any ammo once I get it dialed in but getting the same ammo when I need it is the hard part. Wish I had bought a bunch of bricks back when every store had unlimited supplies. My local stores limit me to 3 boxes of 50 when they even have any.

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have no such luck with my Ruger 10/22. Every time I change bullets I have to re sight the scope for pin point accuracy. I am at war with tiny red squirrels at right around 50 yards. Being an inch off is a complete miss and I can never seem to find the same exact ammo in decent quantities. The rifle shoots just fine with almost any ammo once I get it dialed in but getting the same ammo when I need it is the hard part. Wish I had bought a bunch of bricks back when every store had unlimited supplies. My local stores limit me to 3 boxes of 50 when they even have any.

GaryL
Garry I just ordered 500 rounds of 22.mag a day before I went to Cabelas if I would of known but I did pick up a box of CCI jhp this place has .22 ready to ship still not cheap but what are you going to do.Paul Ammo-Rimfire - 22LR - Surplus Ammo

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Armscor is a USA company that opened up in the Philippines.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

GaryL
Gary,

I was in Gander Mountain in Johnson City/Binghamton. They had ammo cans of of CCI minimag .22 ammo. They were 1,600 rounds and I believe they were $120 a box. This is a relatively decent price in this day and age and the ammo is very good. They had probably 25 of these cans Yesterday at lunch time so it may well be worth the trip.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
NY has the most restrictive laws regarding guns and ammo. Most companies won't ship to NY. My .22 Mag shoots great with CCI and I like Federal for the 10/22. I used to be able to go to Gander, Dicks, Walmart or the shows and find exactly what I want. Now I am lucky to find any rim fire ammo at all.

GaryL

·
Registered
195 Posts
'bout time .22 started showing up! My inventory is getting lower than I like. I see 30-30- is showing up too. I saw 14 boxes at Wally World yesterday, and it has been pretty tough to find for over a year now.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Be sure to site your rifle with it well braced so it does not move, as SkiPpy says, so it will shoot to different points of impact in a practical situation. Better to know where your rifle shoots when fired from different positions in different weather conditions with different batches of ammo than to be all anal about group size where it hits paper. The newer synthetic/stainless rifles are much better than the old wooden fittings about shot consistency. I had a couple rifles that will shoot 1/4 MOA from a ransom rest, but they still change POI with different stances and hold--even what clothes I'm wearing affect accuracy. Knowing your in-use ballistics is critical to bringing home meat with consistency. Shoot lots. It's fun! Where's my canoe?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I was an advanced weapons instructor for a lot of years until I retired. The only help I need these days is high powered optics and I already know the rest of the story. Even with DIY reloading, just being a grain off on powder charge or bullet weight can result in a miss. With rim fire ammo and a highly tweeked Ruger 10/22 with 1 inch target barrel and lots of other fancy stuff I find different manufacturers ammo shoot quite differently. I also find if I stick with the same manufacturer and same exact ammo I can be pretty confident I don't have to go through all the scope settings for each new batch. When the little red bastards show up in my yard heading for my shed and my attic I like to be rather deadly and not have to worry about my different bullets being off. A red squirrels head is about the size of a silver dollar and I like to send a message, can you hear me now right in their ears. They don't sit still for long and they can duck faster than Mike Tyson so the gun and my shooting has to be dialed in with pin point accuracy.

GaryL

Reactions: ZDR1

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Gee, Gary, you must have some really spooky tree rats. I've had no problem genociding the entire squirrel population around herewith a pellet pistol.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Gee, Gary, you must have some really spooky tree rats. I've had no problem genociding the entire squirrel population around herewith a pellet pistol.
The gray ones are easy! They just sit on the limbs eating their nuts and are 4 times the size of red squirrels. Reds are right around chipmunk size with a fluffy tail and they don't sit still long enough to draw a bead on them. It is highly possible they are like that in my yard because they know hot lead is coming their way if they linger. I actually like gray squirrels because they stay out in their trees and pick up all the nuts that fall from the trees. They never invade my shed or try to get in my attic. The red ones get in and roll their nuts around right above my bedroom, drives my Brittany wild and they invade my shed and chew on wires. At 50 yards with your pellet gun I would pay $5 for every one you kill if you will pay me $5 for every one you miss. Bring lots of pellets and a lot more Lincolns.

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Yes, we have the little reads, too, and they are a challenge. I hit about 50%, so we'd break even.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yes, we have the little reads, too, and they are a challenge. I hit about 50%, so we'd break even.
I am a pretty good pistol shooter but at 50 yards and a target the size of a silver dollar, Head shot, and them not sitting still for very long at all I have a hard enough time with a rifle that is dead on with optics and from a rest. As a kid, chipmunks from about 25 feet with a Daisey BB gun were a lot of fun. It usually did not kill them but boy would they unwind!

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
More like 50 feet range. Reds at half a football field? Kind of like the fantasies of whitetails through 473 yards of oakbrush thicket. I can't even see reds at 50 yards, much less shoot them.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
More like 50 feet range. Reds at half a football field? Kind of like the fantasies of whitetails through 473 yards of oakbrush thicket. I can't even see reds at 50 yards, much less shoot them.
Like I said here in the beginning, it's all about the right gun with the right ammo and good optics. If I switch bullets then I have to change the scope settings. From my back door out to the tree line is 47 yards and I am at about 50% success with the Reds.

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Get closer. My people taught me to get closer. How close? I've taken a whitetail with a knife. Once. Just to see if I could. My great grandfather used to hunt bears with a knife--a rifle would have gotten the attention of the federal agents always milling about the reservation looking for someone else's business to get into.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Get closer. My people taught me to get closer. How close? I've taken a whitetail with a knife. Once. Just to see if I could. My great grandfather used to hunt bears with a knife--a rifle would have gotten the attention of the federal agents always milling about the reservation looking for someone else's business to get into.
The petting zoo is still trying to find you.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts