·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Q a lot of people think a .44 mag is needed but six of these will do the job maybe one.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Actually, the sub 2" barrel on your LCR lacks sufficient length to allow effective gas expansion behind the bullet before it leaves the muzzle. Here is a graph from Ballistics by the Inch which graphically illustrates what happens to a .22 magnum in a 2" barrel. Still, a gun is always better than no gun.

View attachment 13311

People tend to forget barrel length when examining muzzle energy numbers. Still, the extra weight of the .22 magnum might give it an edge, based on weight alone over a long rifle cartridge, even out of a sub two inch barrel.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/5/24/the-22-magnum-for-self-defense/

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well, I personally am a huge fan of the .22 LR. Always have been. For those who live in the country, on farms and ranches, it is a handy little varmint gun, light on the belt, mild report, usable in places other weapons aren't, like barns and silos when loaded with light rounds like CB caps. So, for those reasons it's the gun that I most frequently have handy. It's the gun I would most likely still have on my belt during a quick run to town or on the weekend. If you know you are going into battle, my rule is if it doesn't start with a "4", it's too small. (an opinion many don't share, and I really don't want to engage in caliber bashing, I just said I like .22's...enough of that all over the internet). But, for the unexpected, the truth is, I'm probably going to have a .22.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Yup! I find the .22 mag in a short barrel to be not much better than a .22LR. Major difference if the magnum is used in a long gun.

Those do look like nice bullets and I sure wish I could buy them here, I would grab 20 boxes in a heart beat. Not many on line dealers will even ship to NY and I don't blame them. Good price too!

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Impressive performance from a slim case that would be easier to conceal than a stubby case of the same energy on target. I usually have a problem with the grips of small autos being too short trigger to backstrap, and this may be an effective solution for a plinker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts