TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
production of the tw200 started in 1987- so the 2012 model will be the 25th anniversary. Since the 2011 are already out, i was wondering if anyone has heard what, if anything is going on with the 2012 t-dubs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe they'll add a sixth gear! LOL

--Kevin

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
They will give it a Brazilian-made water pumper with a conservative 22hp.

They will give it rear disc brake, fuel injection, 6 speed and a 4 gallon tank.

Its pending release will be the topic of the longest thread in the history of ADVrider, replete with spy photos taken by expats teaching English in Japan. Most of these will turn out to be Photoshopped Zongshen Sierras.

It will be withdrawn from the U.S., European and Australian markets, and marketed exclusively for the sightseeing and messenger trade.

On Diego Garcia.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They will give it a Brazilian-made water pumper with a conservative 22hp.

They will give it rear disc brake, fuel injection, 6 speed and a 4 gallon tank.

Its pending release will be the topic of the longest thread in the history of ADVrider, replete with spy photos taken by expats teaching English in Japan. Most of these will turn out to be Photoshopped Zongshen Sierras.

It will be withdrawn from the U.S., European and Australian markets, and marketed exclusively for the sightseeing and messenger trade.

On Diego Garcia.

LOL....nope no 22hp

no 6 speed, no fi , no rear disk, no 300cc's, and no big fuel tanks....and certainly no magazine writeup

anniversary editions are for JDM ....and I believe they withdrew the TW from the JDM lineup the following year (20th anniv special edition)

Hasn't it also been withdrawn from the Euro and Aussie market's already?

Nope, I think the US is the last bastion of Trailwaydom on the planet.

If they do bring the Tdub back for 2012 It will probably be the final year before it goes where small Yammie's go when they die...Area marketing to become an NGO bike in some deep dark jungle...

http://www.yamaha-mo...neup/index.html

But if you have a gazillion dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can get a brand new 100hp 1200cc monster that will be a handful on anything more than groomed fire roads...The genius marketeers at Yamaha are bringing in the Super Tenere to the states...will miracles never cease?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
LOL....nope no 22hp

no 6 speed, no fi , no rear disk, no 300cc's, and no big fuel tanks....and certainly no magazine writeup

anniversary editions are for JDM ....and I believe they withdrew the TW from the JDM lineup the following year (20th anniv special edition)

If they do bring the Tdub back for 2012 It will probably be the final year before it goes where Yammie's go when they die...Area marketing to become an NGO bike in some deep dark jungle...

But if you have a gazillion dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can get a brand new 100hp 1200cc monster that will be a handful on anything more than groomed fire roads...The genius marketeers at Yamaha are bringing in the Super Tenere to the states...will miracles never cease?

Agreed. The Ténéré is nothing more than another too-tall, too-heavy, too-powerful bike that will provide plenty of emergency room adventures for those with more money than brains. Maybe 1 of 100 riders will actually be able to use the bike's capabilities. Kind of like the BMW GS.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I wonder if in this economy there has been a sufficient spike in sales to save some of the small displacement and niche bikes which may have been scheduled for deletion.

I'm sure sales are down overall, but I'm betting there has been at least a noticeable shift in the U.S. market's purchasing habits, if only for reasons of thrift.

Does anyone know if Yamaha (or the overall industry) publish sales figures or dealer ordering patterns for the various markets?

Are our bikes still relegated to the "They ship 'em two to a crate, Ernie, so order a crate and maybe we can off them" philosphy, or are they actually gaining popularity? Here in our little internet microcosm you'd get the impression that they are.

·
Registered
426 Posts
they're gonna surprise us with even bigger tires, a 250 or 300 twin engine, FI, 6th gear overdrive highway gear for smooth cruising at 60-65, and water cooling so it makes more power, enough to turn the OD gear efficiently all whilst keeping the engine temp down for longer life.

And they're gonna do it without exceeding 320 pounds cause we don't want a monster in the woods.

Don't I wish

·
Registered
796 Posts
LOL....nope no 22hp

If they do bring the Tdub back for 2012 It will probably be the final year before it goes where small Yammie's go when they die...Area marketing to become an NGO bike in some deep dark jungle...

Unless you know Japanese laws there will never be a TW over 250cc ever. You never know about the rest,but highly possible but maybe not in the U.S. Just look at the TW in the U.S. Its still a 200cc with a square light. The reason why TW wil never go above 250cc is taxes. Japanese people endure alot of taxes. One is called road tax. Its paid yearly and depending on the cc of the bike the price differs. The other is called GOJ inspections (Government of Japan Inspections) Cars and bikes must be inspected by a certified garage once every 2 years. The money involved with inspection is Land tax(a tax of weight of the bike)Insurance(mandatory not including vehicle protection) You pay the vehicle protection on your own. Its not mandatory but if you choose not to have it,in a accident and you are found at fault you are responsible to pay by law. and a small fee for processing. Now the inspection is strict. They measure decibel level out of your muffler. If you have a aftermarket one on it must have GOJ approval. Emissions,brake,lights. You can fail if you have any sign of leaking fluid. Its crazy and actually more detailed. They basically don't want you to touch or change anything. And finally a one time recycling fee mandatory. Just for Japanese people to get a license they must go to a driving school and go through rigorous test both on the road and written. The schools road course is hard too. Cranks,180's ect.. The license also goes by cc's as well. 50cc and below can be driven if you have a car license. You must be 18 to get a motorcycle license. 51cc-250cc is one license 400cc and up is the other. And yes you must pay for each license as well. Its not cheap either. Motorcycle is at least $1500!! If you fail you better believe its another $1500. Anyways getting too far from the subject let's cross our fingers about the 2012 TW.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
So....new! So....improved. So..GREEN! This will prevent thousands of 55.7mm crankshafts from entering landfills. I salute them.

I think I'll go throw rocks at my old one now.

On the plus side, at least the TW survived the Ghoul Pool another year.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Why mess with something that works. A 25 year old design that has changed very little, why? Because they got it right, it is waht it is. Im somewhat new to the tw, but I do know that if it got a bigger motor, more hp, 6spd, better suspension, it would not be a TW

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Why mess with something that works. A 25 year old design that has changed very little, why? Because they got it right, it is waht it is. Im somewhat new to the tw, but I do know that if it got a bigger motor, more hp, 6spd, better suspension, it would not be a TW

Since you're new, let me explain.

The TTR230 and XT225 have existed alongside the TW for 30+ years. Their engine parts bolt directly into and onto a TW, making it MORE of a good thing. More torque, more horsepower, no loss in fuel mileage, less butt-puckering from stark terror onroad, increased utilty for the platform, no further need to produce oddball cranks and barrels for the one remaining model and increased sales.

No brainer.

Keep the five speed and the entire bike the way it has always been. Give us something even more useful than it already is with parts they already produce, rather than just an annual price increase.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
A'ight, then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The TW200 might be 25 years old, but the 196cc engine goes back at least to 1982. I have an XT200 with the same engine as the TW200, but I guess the carb is different.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
So, bold new graphics and a higher price for 2012. How normal. Beats not having the bike in the line-up, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts