TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this just not a part people put back in? By material its easily dry rotted and broken. Is that big of deal to leave out?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I can’t really determine what purpose that part serves other than it fills a gap that theYamaha engineers designed into the crank case cover. The stator and pickup wires are routed through the other side of that gap. In my opinion, the worst case scenario without that guide is debris (including pieces of a broken chain) could damage the wires. Not very likely, but no bueno if those wires are damaged. Those are the same wires that some of us have pinched between the case and the cover during reassembly.

The good news is the OEM part can be had for 14 bucks plus shipping. Looks like the same part number since 87.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2JX-15377-00-00?ref=44bfd4c493b5f7be55d55ca7c3e04ae34254a02e

This is speculation on my part because I don’t understand the engineering reason for the gap and the guide. I’m pretty sure there is no oil flowing to that part of the case, but I’m curious if you currently have an oil leak coming from that side of the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can’t really determine what purpose that part serves other than it fills a gap that theYamaha engineers designed into the crank case cover. The stator and pickup wires are routed through the other side of that gap. In my opinion, the worst case scenario without that guide is debris (including pieces of a broken chain) could damage the wires. Not very likely, but no bueno if those wires are damaged. Those are the same wires that some of us have pinched between the case and the cover during reassembly.

The good news is the OEM part can be had for 14 bucks plus shipping. Looks like the same part number since 87.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2JX-15377-00-00?ref=44bfd4c493b5f7be55d55ca7c3e04ae34254a02e

This is speculation on my part because I don’t understand the engineering reason for the gap and the guide. I’m pretty sure there is no oil flowing to that part of the case, but I’m curious if you currently have an oil leak coming from that side of the bike.
I have 2 total on order through 2 different suppliers. They are on backorder until April 4th. My bike is torn down in my garage waiting on it. (Don't like being at a stop for so long) I spoke to Yamaha USA Corporate today. I was informed that it was not a highly purchased part and that there were none in the USA. There are however 5 in Japan. I have done a lot of research to find this part. I have been waiting on 2 of them since last week.

After handling my broken part I feel like it served its purpose and broke when the chain jumped off the front sprocket at some point before I purchased it. The reason I found it was that my bike new to me was having low mpg problems so I decided to count teeth on sprockets and found a broken tooth. That is the main reason I decided to change the sprocket out where I found this broken part. I am also held up on adjusting the carb waiting on this part. So I decided today to order new tires to help my impatience(LOL). They are also 15 years old.

I think the part serves two purposes 1.) to plug the hole. 2.) to take impact of a chain hiting the case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at it opened up there is no oil that can get to that point. The case is closed before that point.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I don't honestly know what the purpose of that part is but I have my suspicions and it has little to do with the chain itself. Yamaha never made provisions to protect their machines from the lack of maintenance which chain slop certainly is. I don't remember where the wires from the stator pass through the side cover going up under the seat but I would think that piece protects the wires from pebbles and debris flying off the chain. As I remember all of my bikes had a rubber grommett piece where the wires exited the case. I can't believe I never saw that part on any of the bikes I changed front sprockets on but oh well.
BTW, loose chains cause broken teeth and if the sprocket gets so worn that the chain jumps the teeth you will have a hole in the top of the rear end of the case.

GaryL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't honestly know what the purpose of that part is but I have my suspicions and it has little to do with the chain itself. Yamaha never made provisions to protect their machines from the lack of maintenance which chain slop certainly is. I don't remember where the wires from the stator pass through the side cover going up under the seat but I would think that piece protects the wires from pebbles and debris flying off the chain. As I remember all of my bikes had a rubber grommett piece where the wires exited the case. I can't believe I never saw that part on any of the bikes I changed front sprockets on but oh well.
BTW, loose chains cause broken teeth and if the sprocket gets so worn that the chain jumps the teeth you will have a hole in the top of the rear end of the case.

GaryL
No holes. I don't really know for sure what it does completely. Going off what I have seen, read, and the name of the piece. The chain and sprockets look good otherwise minus the 1 broken tooth. I believe someone let it get too loose before adjusting it and the chain jumped off. The bike had less than 3000 miles when I got it a month or so ago. The chain was in spec tension when I got it. I just want to put the bike back correctly when I do.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Wow that was really broken. Would you mind sharing which supplier came through for you?

And I sure would find it helpful if you could take a few pics when you install it. Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow that was really broken. Would you mind sharing which supplier came through for you?

And I sure would find it helpful if you could take a few pics when you install it. Cheers
My Local Dealer was actually the cheapest I could find the piece, and they got it in first. I have another that showed shipped today through Partzilla. So should be here in a few days guessing. I talked to Yamaha Corporate about the piece and they said it was a slow selling part. So there were none in the U.S.A. There were 5 in japan. I guess I will now have 2 of them. My bike is an 05. and the piece looks dried out as well as broken. I believe this to be a part that many people don't realize they are missing it or broken.

I am hoping to install this evening. I will try to remember to take pictures. I am bad about pictures.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts