TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone is trying to sell me a TW200 for 3,000 dollars so i was wondering if its over priced or not.....bikes near-perfect condition with 2,000 miles on it. thanks

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Expense like beauty is in the eye of the beholder (of the dough). Yes, $3k sounds like a lot compared to many bikes of that age, but I'd rather have a 2001 that has been taken care of rather than a 2011 that has been thrashed, abused, and screwed with. A bike that is 10 + years old has a few things that will eventually warrant replacement but not so many that would preclude a purchase at a slightly elevated price if 1. You want the bike now versus waiting around for a better deal (what are two months of prime riding worth?); 2. You can convince yourself that you are getting a pristine bike; and 3. You have the money for a $2300 - $3000 bike versus waiting for one at a lower price. Notice I'm suggesting you try to bargain down the price. Clearly if you don't have the money you don't want to consider the bike. I have a bike of that vintage and I would not take $3000 for it, because I know it, trust it and value it. I'd say if you want the bike and can afford it you should buy it (because you want it, and not because you think you can resell if for that price). Paying a premium is not bad if you can afford it. Hey I shop at thrift stores so I can splurge on things that are more important than the things I buy there. nuff said. Good luck in your deliberations. Tom

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thats definitely high.. Where are you located. They seem to run a higher out west than in central/eastern US. I snatched a mint 07 with a rack, jimbo shield with 2,000 miles on it in illinios early this year for $2100. I would try to get him down alot but it all depends on you and how bad do you want it right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

I think I stumbled onto a very good deal as my 06 with only 85 miles on it purchased this year was $2,195. A Dr. had owned it and never had time to ride it. I could not find any close by in Colorado so was going to drive a half day to Utah to look at one for about the same price but more miles.

I sold my 94 XR650L (to the first caller) and had the cash after delivering it to the buyer. Once back to the house, before taking off to Utah I decided to call a nearby trusted dealer just for the heck of it but I knew he would not have one because the local dealers don't even have new ones in stock. I asked if by any chance he had any TWs. He said, well yes, someone just traded one in - I'll go look. Then he mentioned the mileage and I thought "no way" and when he told me the price I headed over - like quickly! Looking over the bike for scuff marks from the boots etc., it did seem to be an honest 85 miles. My wife and I looked at each other like how did we sell the one bike and get more than we hoped for all in the same day - wow! So, I don't really know what an 06 should cost other than looking around at prices on the web but I felt like I ended up getting a "new" bike for half price and my wife was thrilled too. We are now enjoying breaking it in.

T-Dan

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Not knowing where you live makes it hard to tell. In 06' I bought my 01' with 1300 miles for 2900. Thought I payed a little more then I should have but out here and at the time TW's were very hard to come by. I drove 3hrs the night before I was to leave for deer hunting camp. Worked out that he had a carrier that went with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 2001 with 2,000 miles on it purchased a few months ago in East Texas cost me $1300. It was not pretty but cleaned up and seems to run good. I had been shopping for quite a while and everything else I saw was farther away, already sold or more expensive, but I was not in a hurry. Where are you?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That seems pretty high to me.

I paid $2100 for my slightly used (1400 miles) 2008 and $3000 for my wife's brand new 2009 left-over. Both were purchased at Yamaha dealerships. I believe I would have paid less in a private party sale.

It's really up to you & how much you are willing to spend. But I wouldn't pay more than KBB or NADA values.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I recently purchased a 2004 with 915 miles on it for $1600, it was in nice condition and had a few extras on it. I'm sure the area one lives in will make a difference, I have seen newer ones (2007 - 2010) in my area with low miles for $2000 - $3000.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It seems that these bikes have developed into some kind of cult bikes. Some of the asking prices are ridiculous. Areas like Los Angeles in particular.

In your case I think your seller is nuts, but then again, somebody in a hurry might pony up his asking price.

I just bought my 2001 with 4500 miles a month ago after just missing out on a couple of newer ones. I paid $1800. Your seller's 2000 mile bike was ridden 200 miles per year while mine with 4500 was ridden 450. Significant? I'd guess yours is a bit cleaner, but is that worth $1200?

If you wait I think you can find a much later model for less money. It might take a while, though, and riding season is here. 8=)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my 01 with 1100 miles on it for a thousand bucks on craigslist, guy was asking 1500 for it. Owner used it just to learn on to get his permit.... That was a little over 3 yrs ago... With the price of gas now, people may be more interested in a smaller engine rather than a chromed out gas guzzler...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
$3000 does seem high but I paid $1600 for an 89 with 1600 miles on it. I was getting tired of looking and liked the black/red color scheme and a kicker. I know I could have kept looking and eventually found one cheaper but wanted to start riding and not just checking out this forum and wishing I had one.....Guess it just depends how many are for sale in your area. They were hard to find in my area when I was looking. (took me 6 months to find mine)

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's a 2010 with 100 miles on it available in Maryland, asking 3200. Craigslist. 16 months warranty remaining.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i picked up my '99 with about 1400 miles on it for 1500 bucks a few years back. my advice- Keep looking for a cheaper one in decent shape , cause you are gonna be spending money on all the mods and add ons' once you finally buy one. if you get one that's already had all the mods done proper then you will be ahead of the game. good luck in your search. Rob.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got my '07 with 2700 miles for $2500.

As others have said, it depends on the location. For me, the bike was worth it for a few reasons, one of which being the previous owner was extremely meticulous in it's care. Same as cars, I'd rather buy a 10 year old car with 100k miles on it that had maintenance history and careful driving than a 5 year old car with 50k miles on it that was beat to crap, prices being equal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts