TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three Fingers Rock

Originally, this ride was gonna be titled "3 Fingers Gulch", but due to time and sore butt constraints, we cut out a few side trips and save them for another time. I'm still recovering from yesterdays ride and sorting through the photo's and video's. Here is a teaser photo from Ron (RoninBoise).

Me, Georgie and 3 Fingers Rock in the background.

3 Fingers Rock up close

I'll post the rest of the ride in a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Three Fingers Rock Ride Report

Independent of each other, Ron and I had seen a ride report in another forum of an area near us. This perked our interest. Ron mentioned he'd like to ride there. I got the gps tracks from the author of the rider report. Ron asked his long time riding buddy (#1) if he'd like to go. Next day, we went.

8 days ago...

Looked doable. We did run out of time to ride the whole route, so route's marked in yellow are saved for another time

First, a little video entertainment

Staging area

You can see a long way up here

Wild horse paying no attention to our presence

Lake Owyhee

Suicide Cliff, our first destination. Gotta stop or you may end up having a bad day

Not sure if suicide cliff is what this place is really called. I call it that because of murderer Ted Kestner. Ted killed his land dady, then while fleeing, attempted suicide here by driving his pickup over the cliff. He bailed out at the last second, continuing the saga. The truck is no longer there.

Photo courtesy of Jason Abbott (http://www.trailimage.com/klr-club-in-the-owyhees#21)

Ted then took an elderly couple and held them hostage at their cabin near Lake Owyhee.
(http://www.idahopress.com/news/local/theodore-kestner-gets-life-without-parole-for-murder/article_27bf5ee6-73e6-11e1-9515-0019bb2963f4.html)

Georgie performing a safety check of the cliffs edge.

You can barely see the cabins along the high water shoreline in the distance

So we decided to stay awhile and eat lunch here

Ron setting up his kitchen/dinning room

#1 keeping an eye out on the TW's during lunchtime

Iron Mountain

I did grab a nearby geocache, appropriately name "Thelma & Louis" if you are familiar with the movie. I left the Canoe looking "Travel Bug"

#1 in deep thought and taking in the views

To be Continued

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After our lunch, we soon were on our way

Short time later we ran into a second small band of wild horses

Even had a little one with 'em (middle)

After the wild horses, we got our first views of Three Fingers Rock

Wasn't hot, but still nice to fine "thee shade tree". Actually there were two tree's here!

We did some exploring nearby. Found this post with an arrow in the middle of nothing. No trail we could see. Maybe pointing east? Who knows.
Wonder what the story is

Also found some cool rock formations

Georgie approves

Big Country

Even the ducks have a hangout

After many miles, we made it to the back side of Three Fingers Rock

Nearing the end, we go through yet another gate. We've gone through many on this day

I can see this terrain feature from my house many miles away. Probably much closer as the crow flies

Well, that about wraps it up. Didn't take any picture's in Succor Creek Canyon, but it was pretty too.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks for following along.

Till next time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Three of the real advantages of going riding with the Admiral are 1. He takes such good videos and photos and 2. He makes such great ride reports and 3. He is really handy with the GPS.

As a funny side note, when we were dropping down out of the hills to Succor creek, we stopped and visited with a pair of hikers (man and woman) who were kicked back in a couple of lawn chairs by the pickup. Georgie hopped down off the Admiral's bike and introduced himself to the couple. When we were ready to take off, Georgie jumped back on the Admiral's bike. As he puled away, I overheard the lady say to her partner," DID YOU SEE THAT, THE DOG IS RIDING ON THE BACK OF HIS MOTORCYCLE." I pulled over by her and said," THE REASON HE RIDES BACK THERE IS BECAUSE HE HASN'T LEARNED TO DRIVE YET," When I was down the road a little I could still hear her laughing raucously.

When we got back to the rigs, my spedo showed 80 miles and my butt said it knew. It was a great adventure.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice adventure! I can't wait until I can legally hit the roads next July. I'm waiting until 18 so I can get good off road, and to lighten the cost. Yes of course I do neighborhood riding :p great pictures, I'm also looking forward to expanding my photography skills with the tw :) most kids my age prefer the loudest of loud, biggest jumps, and most broken bones. But I choose to save my limbs for another day and enjoy the view. (Don't get me wrong, I give it heck in the trails). Sorry for all of the me talk. This just inspired me a bit :D

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
this is exactly what i picture me and my lil brother doing one day. i live in boring flat florida and an epic ride like this has been on my bucket list for a while. i'm actually going to attempt something similar in August.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for lookin and watchin. Very fortunate out here to have so many places available to ride like we do.

That was fantastic!

Great video! Was the camera mounted on you chest?
Not using chest mount, but I still have one available if I wanted to use my point and shoot camera (in video mode). Even this cheap camera has better quality than my point and shoot camera's. However, I'm still using B-Dubs design using a cup/glass secured to the gas cap with the camera mounted on top of that. This is the best mount I've found which works with this cheap camera. Helmet mount is way to jiggly with this camera. In this photo you can see the "Pirate Cam" mounted on the cup! I learned to "teather" the camera to the handle bar after the camera fell off this mount last year. It's come loose a couple of times since then and just dangles until I get stopped and put it back. Only happened 2-3 times though. I actually really like your camera in the goggles, just have a hard time with goggles wearing glasses and only have them on when I absolutely have too.

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
Thank you Admiral and Ron for some great entertainment, you guys know how to have a good time then make us jealous with the ride reports. Very nice video and soundtracks as usual.
I was glad the pick-up truck driver was alert and swerved to give you and Georgie room.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jealous? I'm the jealous one. Well, I guess we shouldn't be jealous of anything, just fortunate right? :DI can't wait to break away from here one day and come ride down in your neck of the woods. You'd be an excellent guide from what I've see, as well as Adam too.

The pickup. Well, sometimes you get the sense, and I had it, which is why I was riding more in the center, that and a rough road. Even though I was kinda expecting something could happen, the pickup did surprise me. I probably surprised him much more though. He was traveling really fast too. Ron and #1 said he was driving pretty slow when they passed. Guess riding lead has it's advantages (no dust) and disadvantages (pasture rats and outta control kids driving pickups).

The area we rode last week gets pretty hot in summer, so I hope to get out there again before July. There are a ton more historical things to see, and we just scratched the survace last week.

Take care,
Kris

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
good read as always. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Admiral - Next time you guys are heading out for a ride, PM me. I would love to tag along for the fun and get to know you guys. One area I would like to explore at some point this spring is the Juniper Mt. area of the Owyhee's. I know the South Mt. area pretty well but up for a new adventure. I may have some get out of jail free passes coming up once the kids are done with soccer for the spring....

By the way, awesome pictures!

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Admiral - Next time you guys are heading out for a ride, PM me. I would love to tag along for the fun and get to know you guys. One area I would like to explore at some point this spring is the Juniper Mt. area of the Owyhee's. I know the South Mt. area pretty well but up for a new adventure. I may have some get out of jail free passes coming up once the kids are done with soccer for the spring....

By the way, awesome pictures!
PM on the way soon. If you don't get it, email me at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts