TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been researching obsessively, but I just need to ask questions at this.

I don’t think the Procycle 19kg/mm spring on the stock shock will be sufficient. Geared up I am 300lbs (6’6”) and I want to be able to 2-up with the lady occasionally.

I see people buying Banshee, Blaster, R6 coilovers, from threads ranging 3 to 10 years old, but I need fresh advice if anyone would mind helping.

Glad to be a part of this community! I’ve had KLRs in the past but now my Harley is my highway bike. I have loved the TWs forever and bought one as a little campground scoot.

·
Super Moderator
18,948 Posts

I don’t think the Procycle 19kg/mm spring on the stock shock will be sufficient. Geared up I am 300lbs (6’6”) and I want to be able to 2-up with the lady occasionally.

I see people buying Banshee, Blaster, R6 coilovers, from threads ranging 3 to 10 years old, but I need fresh advice if anyone would mind helping.

Glad to be a part of this community! I’ve had KLRs in the past but now my Harley is my highway bike. I have loved the TWs forever and bought one as a little campground scoot.
That heaviest spring from Procycle worked out well for me. I was about 325 lbs. at the time. I also beefed up the front springs. It was like a little kids rocking horse until I did the springs. After that It felt like a real motorcycle.

Welcome!!

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
277 Posts

Member TWBigBlake is someone you should chat with. He's a big dude & is a long way down the trail you're just starting on.

His suspension research/testing is current & he's been working with Marvin Shaw Shocks to develop a rear shock replacement upgrade that seems ready for purchase. He's also reworked his forks as well.

Check out the thread below:

Marvin Shaw Shocks...

Congrats on the 'Dub & Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That heaviest spring from Procycle worked out well for me. I was about 325 lbs. at the time. I also beefed up the front springs. It was like a little kids rocking horse until I did the springs. After that It felt like a real motorcycle.

Welcome!!
I actually found (what I sincerely hope is) the exact same spring on JPcycles for $80. In another thread from some adv forum someone suggested the 19kg red spring was a Baron BA-8523RD manufactured by Eibach. JP has them for $83 but I found a 10% off coupon that made the out-the-door total like $80.20. Hope it works out.

and thank you!

Edit: well shoot, a little more research and I find out that the Baron spring does not fit the TW shock, at least 2017+.. oh well I’ll cancel the order and buy the one from procycle. It says for ‘17 to ‘22 so I assume it will work..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Member TWBigBlake is someone you should chat with. He's a big dude & is a long way down the trail you're just starting on.

His suspension research/testing is current & he's been working with Marvin Shaw Shocks to develop a rear shock replacement upgrade that seems ready for purchase. He's also reworked his forks as well.

Check out the thread below:

Marvin Shaw Shocks...

Congrats on the 'Dub & Welcome to the forum!
Read the whole thread. That level of dedication is amazing. If my shock and spring don’t work out, I’ll be contacting him.

Went a little crazy tonight.. Bought the shock spring, IMS SuperStock pegs, IMS shift lever, Pro Taper ATV bars, Pro grip grips, Tusk D-Flex Pro handguards with integrated turn signals, Ricochet skid plate w/ black anodizing... last thing I need is the Cycleracks rear rack.. but I will hold off on that.

I pick up the bike Tuesday. Can’t wait!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you have caught a good case of Farklelitus. You will fit in well here as there is no cure and we are all infected.
Oh I have had it for a long time my friend, ever since my first KLR650. Lost it to an accident, T-boned a brand new Camaro that made a left turn right in front of me from the oncoming lane. I’ve had the itch ever since. Been on Harleys for the past 5 years, they just aren’t nearly as fun to mod.

Next big mod will definitely be another kickstarter. I was one of the very few that had one on my KLR. Took me eight months to put the kit together, the parts were incredibly difficult to find. I think six of those months were spent scavenging eBay looking for side cases that had the little metal tabs still attached to them. They were only present in the ‘87 - ‘90 bikes IIRC.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was a good looking Gen 1. Seems you also have Bicyclelitus too.
Haha not as much bicycleitus, that was just an entry-level 29er. But thank you. The KLRs can be pretty sexy once you replace the fairing and headlight. And the front fender. And the rear fender. And the exhaust system. And the turn signals.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am currently working with MSS shocks on a shock system for my Tdub. I live close to them and have already visited and given the OEM shock specs and we discussed the new shock specs. Will be able to custom adjust the settings because they are nitrogen filled. Will keep in touch with TWBigBlake and this forum about the progress. Might take a few weeks because they have a backlog of regular orders. I'm planning to get the new shock set to about the 15kg weight. The OEM spring weight is 12kg up to 2016. Looks like the gen 3 shock/spring weight starting in 2017 is rated at 15kg. Yamaha changed the shock design for gen 3. Spring and adjustment base are different than the first 2 gens from Yamaha.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am currently working with MSS shocks on a shock system for my Tdub. I live close to them and have already visited and given the OEM shock specs and we discussed the new shock specs. Will be able to custom adjust the settings because they are nitrogen filled. Will keep in touch with TWBigBlake and this forum about the progress. Might take a few weeks because they have a backlog of regular orders. I'm planning to get the new shock set to about the 15kg weight. The OEM spring weight is 12kg up to 2016. Looks like the gen 3 shock/spring weight starting in 2017 is rated at 15kg. Yamaha changed the shock design for gen 3. Spring and adjustment base are different than the first 2 gens from Yamaha.
Great information, thank you. I had no idea there were multiple generations of TW. Wish I had caught that a bit earlier, I wasn't able to cancel that JPcycles order for the Baron spring before it was picked and packed.. So return will be done the hard way. Already got the Cyclepro spring on order. If it doesn't suit my needs I'll resell it pre-assembled on the brand new stock shock, think I can get a decent price for it. Put it towards one of those new coilovers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any big riders do work on the forks? I’m thinking about progressive fork springs and probably heavier oil. Most people seem to go with the 1114’s but most riders aren’t 280lbs either.. I read the whole write-up about the ziptie drill and will eventually get around to that, but I gotta order the parts first..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Any big riders do work on the forks? I’m thinking about progressive fork springs and probably heavier oil. Most people seem to go with the 1114’s but most riders aren’t 280lbs either.. I read the whole write-up about the ziptie drill and will eventually get around to that, but I gotta order the parts first..
I went all out with springs and emulators.The emulators will really let you adjust for your weight. But it is pricey and requires you to drill on fork damping rods.

A less expensive alternative would be using a set of schrader valve fork caps (I used before doing the emulator upgrade with about 3-5psi), they run about 15-20 bucks on eBay, you could go with stiffer springs from procycle and the air caps for the forks, would be a considerable difference and would cost much less.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm pretty close to that weight class. My white '96 is my primary steed and I don't ever ride with a pack but do have a little extra fuel weight and almost always ride with tools and tubes on my rear rack.
I rode several thousand miles on stock suspension. I didn't upgrade until before a long ride where I'd be carrying a week's worth of camping gear (about 60#). I went with the Procycle .70 front springs and the red 19kg rear spring. I found the front just a bit stiff for my taste so I removed the little nylon spacers and called it good. I set my fork oil level at 125mm. My blue loaner '94 will be getting a very similar treatment in the next few days.
It certainly isn't race-tuned but it's a lot more confident/competent on the trail now.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I've got some sage advice, but don't want to piss off a newbee....so 😎 Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reviving this thread.. anyone with progressive fork springs have a part number for the best fitting springs for a Tdub?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have a set of Progressives in my forks. From Amazon;
Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension 11-1114 19.75" Fork Spring: Automotive

These are darn near perfect for someone who weighs 195 neckid and a TW200 modded to weigh 300 lbs. Compared to stock, it's night and day difference. Much firmer. I keep thinking I need to test these forks every time I make it back to the garage, then realize, I never once thought about my front suspension the whole day. I think that says it all.
Progressives come in stiffer spring rates as well. 11-1115 and 11-1120 as I recall. Do your homework using the search feature here. Blake I think, did not like the 11-1114's, thought they were too soft. I thought they were MUCH firmer than stock. Almost zero static sag and maybe not quite an inch race sag. Haven't bottomed 'em yet, but I ride very technical terrain at relatively slow speeds. I rarely do pavement, just enough to connect trails or from camp to trailhead. So keep that in perspective.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have the 1114's and even with ⅞" preload spacers, found them to be insufficient when riding solo; when two-up, they are better.
In hindsight, I would have selected the 1120's instead.

I already have the ProCycle 19kg/mm spring and it makes a huge difference...highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts