TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

maybe some from you has seen this topic NEW BRAKES !!!! from AFISHALBIZ about the 320 brake disk conversion.

He was the first one from the US who as bought this brake disk kit.

I've received 2 weeks ago a massage from a TW driver in Singapore, he also want to buy a 320 kit.

But there is a problem, I don't have the adapters on stock.

To make just one adapter is really expensive, so I have to make more than just one.

My problem is, that I don't have the financial reserve to make some new.

I have to make minimum 3 adapters to make no loss.

It would be great, if 2 or 3 TW drivers from the US will also order a 320 kit from me.

You can see here the different designs from the brake disk:

std. disk .................................. wave disk .................................. teeth disk

-> Click on the picture to get a bigger image. <-

Buyer list:

1. -TWdude26 from singaporebikes.com

-> 2 more buyers needed to make TWdude26 happy.

This kit will also fit on the Yamaha XG250 Tricker (was this bike also available in the US?).

And it should also fit on the Yamaha XT225 and TTR230. These bikes does have the same brake disk diameter and I've seen a picture on the Yamaha website and it seems, that they have the same brake caliper.

Oh, I think I should also write down the prices:

- 95.91 EUR for the std. disk (instead of 104.13 EUR)

- 99.01 EUR for the wave disk (instead of 107.22 EUR)

- 99.01 EUR for the teeth disk (instead of 107.22 EUR)

- 58.91 EUR for the adapter

If there is a question, don't hesitate to ask me.

Regards, Sebastian

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be an interesting job, to make a adapter to convert a drum brake model to a disk brake model without changing the fork tube and the front hub.

Back to topic.

Who else (with a disk brake model) is interested?

Sebastian

·
Registered
134 Posts

Can you post a picture that is much closer so we can see what is involved in making the conversion? I see only two prices for three different discs, are the two on the right side the same price? Are you willing to share what bike the discs are originally made for?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Np problem, here is the picture:

I've changed the first post a little bit.

Now there is a short description under the disk designs and 3 prices for 3 disks.

These disks are originally for the TW!!!!!!

They are direct made for the TW!!!

I've send the needed measurements to the factory and they make the disk for me.

This disk will also fit on the XT250, but this bike will need a other adapter.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Now there is a short description under the disk designs and 3 prices for 3 disks.

Thanks for the added information. Are all three discs the same diameter and the pictures just make #2 and #3 look smaller or is #2 & #3 a smaller diameter? What material are the discs made from? Can just the disc be purchased and not the adapter? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ randucci

All disks have the same outer diameter. Just the 2 pictures are a bit smaller.

The material? I don't know the exact type of steel. It is a std. brake disk steel, not stainless or cast iron.

Yes, you can get only the disk without a adapter.

@frog13

The the base for the USD price is the EURO price.

Here are the prices, based on the current exchange rate (1.00 EUR = 1.2957 USD):

124.27 USD - 95.91 EUR for the std. disk

128.29 USD - 99.01 EUR for the wave disk

128.29 USD - 99.01 EUR for the teeth disk

76.33 USD - 58.91 EUR for the adapter

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I realize that these are for front disk brakes. I can't really understand the need for an upgraded disk with our small displacement but to each their own. However, I believe that it would be worth your time to make a rear disk setup. I believe you would sell a lot of these and I would be first on the list to buy a kit from you. Not sure what yamahas reasoning is for upgrading the front to disk and or instead of the rear but I would be willing to fork out +-$300 for a rear disk kit.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize that these are for front disk brakes. I can't really understand the need for an upgraded disk with our small displacement but to each their own.
AFISHALBIZ has written all benefits into his thread NEW BRAKES !!!!

I've written this into the singaporebikes.com forum:

I know, the this kit isn't cheap. But a fact is, that you can not get quality for a extreme low budget price.

Do someone really need this kit? Not many.

BUT does it make sense to mount this kit? YES!

-> less hand power needed for the same brake performance

-> increased brake performance with the same hand power

-> lower generation of heat, this increases the lifetime from the brake parts

-> good controllable brake performance

A rear disk is possible to make, but a bit hard to realize.

Because it can be made just for a small range of possible brake caliper. It's the same problem with the master cylinder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hehe... I'm the one who is trying to buy the 320 kit from macbig.

I'm using this bike mainly on the highway... so better braking at highway speed is a must for me.

And upgrading from stock 220mm to 320mm definitely helps.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Although I've rear disc on most of the other bikes that I've owned before...

I'll never put rear disc on a tw... such a light bike...

I don't see much benefits but rather the risk of locking up the rear much more easily...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would be interested in a front disc upgrade for my TW... but I've sort of exhausted my "play money" for a little while. I have a swingarm that I'm planing on buying and that needs to take precedent for now. I will however be in a position to buy a disc kit just before Xmas tho if they are still available. My bike has a much stronger engine than the average TW so an improved braking system is a plus for me for sure!

z

·
Registered
134 Posts

Would the disc design all have to be the same style in ordering the three? Or is it the adapter only that requires three to be made? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Would the disc design all have to be the same style in ordering the three? Or is it the adapter only that requires three to be made? Thanks.

The min. Order of 3pcs is for the adaptor only.

As for the disc, you can order any design for any quantity.

I'm in for 1 teeth disc with adaptor, anyone else?

·
Registered
134 Posts

I'm curious about the picture above. It looks like the brake caliper needs to be closer to the fork tube so that more of the brake pad contacts the rotor. The wear pattern looks a little to the outside of where it should be centered. Is the outside edge of the rotor as close as it can be to the inside of the caliper? Maybe the "Teeth" edge of the rotor don't allow it to come in, I was just wanting to know before I thought about ordering one, thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm curious about the picture above. It looks like the brake caliper needs to be closer to the fork tube so that more of the brake pad contacts the rotor. The wear pattern looks a little to the outside of where it should be centered. Is the outside edge of the rotor as close as it can be to the inside of the caliper? Maybe the "Teeth" edge of the rotor don't allow it to come in, I was just wanting to know before I thought about ordering one, thanks.

Imho it looks good to me...

The slots in the disc and the edge of the disc are able to 'renew' the whole surface of the brake pads...

And the pads are in contact with the disc all the way to the edge of the disc.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts