TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this local guy has all these different wrecks. He has this 350 with a ceased engine that I could get for next to nothing. Is there any chance of that engine going into my TDub? Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
So this local guy has all these different wrecks. He has this 350 with a ceased engine that I could get for next to nothing. Is there any chance of that engine going into my TDub? View attachment 110082
I have no idea but I like where your head is at!

Tom

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
That gas tank will go on a TW with a little bit of alterations. You probably will have to derust it but that is OK. Lots of people have done it before you.

If the rear brake lever is longer than the one on the TW swap that too. Longer lever = more leverage = better stopping.
P4280054.JPG

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had a friend with one of those. I was thinking of using one of those engines and even took some rough measurements. The short answer is I think you could do it. The longer answer was after a couple of hard days of riding and me having to help his kick start that thing in awkward spots all day I lost my interest in that. The other downer is that it really isnt that powerful. I think it was rated at 18hp which isnt a whole lot more than you can milk out of the 225 conversion. I say if you want a big project do it, but its not gonna bolt right in.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
thats a monster powerful engine if you can get it to fit it would be a holy terror. The BW series went to a larger frame on the 350's vs the 200's but we have pry bars and great hydraulics these days we can make anything fit

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Every bodies dream, A TW 350. So many before you have had this same dream yet no one to my knowledge has made the dream a reality. I think you should get moving on the project but IMO you might be much better off starting with an XT 350 motor that is running rather than with this dead one. I see a lot of XT 350s for sale with the ones in nice shape asking rather high prices while the ones that run but look hammered go for cheap. "If the engine fits you must not quit".

GaryL

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$100 would get me the whole wreck. I am really only interested in the motor. It would be a small project for me (the motor I mean, tearing down and replacing or rebuilding whatever needs it). But, without finding someone who has actually done this I won't be moving forward on it. Plus the seller is being a little weird. I asked if I could ride over on the Tdub to visually compare and he seems determined not to let anyone near his "stash". Says for a positive sale he will fish it out of storage and bring it to Nelson. That won't work for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a 1985 XT350 that was a "ton of fun" dual sport bike. The engine seized on me one day when the cam chain tensioner assembly exploded. Mind you-this was in 2000 and the bike had less than 6,000 miles on it. The estimate for repair was about $600 in parts and labor (in 2000). I ended up selling the bike as a parts bike and got most of my money back. For $100-you will get a parts bike with at least $100 worth of parts. But-after taking the head off and seeing exactly what happened-you might be better off looking for a running engine/motor unless you have the time and money to invest in getting it running, and then trying to shoe-horn it into the TW.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So this local guy has all these different wrecks. He has this 350 with a ceased engine that I could get for next to nothing. Is there any chance of that engine going into my TDub?
Nope, the XT350 motor is too large and i wouldn't bother with a seized one

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had a friend with one of those. I was thinking of using one of those engines and even took some rough measurements. The short answer is I think you could do it. The longer answer was after a couple of hard days of riding and me having to help his kick start that thing in awkward spots all day I lost my interest in that. The other downer is that it really isnt that powerful. I think it was rated at 18hp which isnt a whole lot more than you can milk out of the 225 conversion. I say if you want a big project do it, but its not gonna bolt right in.
It was rated at 30hp or so, but I bet 26-28 is closer to reality...It is a substantially larger, heavier, and more powerful engine than the TW in all aspects.

·
Registered
567 Posts
$100 would get me the whole wreck. I am really only interested in the motor. It would be a small project for me (the motor I mean, tearing down and replacing or rebuilding whatever needs it). But, without finding someone who has actually done this I won't be moving forward on it.
If the cam bearings are ruined from lack of oil, that engine is no small task to repair and expensive if you need to replace top end parts...that being said, $100 is a no brainer if you can afford the space. the frame alone is worth more than that if it has a title.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts