TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here is info on 3x aftermarket cdi's that work on the tw.

tw_4x_cdi.JPG

none of them are plug-and-play, so you need to frig a bit with wiring. none of the units behave exactly like the stock cdi, which imho is still the preferred option for most applications. waaay cheaper though.

the first two units mentioned here have fixed 10 deg btdc timing, so power and mileage do suffer somewhat. the third unit is a "racing" type with timing advance.

i have put about three thousand miles on the bike over the last couple years using the fixed-timing AC unit, 50+ mph on the highway, but not if into a headwind... no problem on trails or secondary roads. bike runs happy.

haven't put any miles on the DC unit, just got it, but it works, and will serve as my onboard ignition spare for if cdi or stator fails.

the third unit is the AC powered "racing" type with timing advance, and definitely produces more power than the fixed timing units. not sure how it compares to the stock unit, might actually give more hp at the expense of smooth running, if that's yer thing.

fires at 10deg @ cranking, then advances pretty quick. i don't have the timing curve for it. my guess is that it runs 10-15deg ahead of the stock cdi. idles rough, like a race car, with a slight hesitation on opening the throttle, some of which might be tunable out at the carb (mine is stock, @ sea level).

produces some extra valve clatter/buzz which i don't really like, and the engine is louder, more of a pop at each firing. have not checked my valve adjustment in awhile, so may be able to reduce some of the buzz. i have some concern over extra stress on the engine; after an hour of running the bike at 50-60mph i'm getting used to the noise, not sure if that's a good thing or not... nice to have the extra horsies though.

-

wiring-wise, with all three units the bikes' safety interlock system (kickstand up-to-run, neutral and clutch in-to-engage starter) must be bypassed, so install at your own risk.

i have mine rewired for clutch-in-to engage starter, and a kickstand-down warning light is pending, but that's another post.

i couldn't find any 6pin pigtail harness. small (.110) female spade terminals fit the cdi contacts so i just use them and connect one at a time.

the first two units use green from the pickup/trigger as the hot (white to ground).
the racing unit uses white as the hot, (green to ground).

red provides power from the stator, brown is not used.
blk/w not used.
blu/y not used.
blu not used.
kill is achieved by grounding the red stator wire, or grounding the kill terminal.
(do not ground the 12v hot if using the dc unit! just turn the power off).

deeper info on how the tw ignition works here, http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/11545-cdi-baseline-info-wires-waveforms-timings-substitution-3.html

View attachment 42754

View attachment 42762

-

anyway, these are the cdi's.

6-PIN CDI BOX. 2/4 Pin Split

AC powered, fixed 10deg timing, $37 cdn, $30 usa.

Outside Distributing Part #: 08-0111

Royal Distributing Part #: C01-080111
Kimpex Part #: 217104
Gamma Sales Part #: 83-00506

---

CDI BOX: 6-PIN DC

12v DC powered, fixed 10 deg(?) timing $55 cdn, $45 usa.

Outside Distributing Part #: 08-0115

Royal Distributing Part #: C01-080115
Kimpex Part #: 217106
Gamma Sales Part #: 83-00508
USA
Marshall Distributing Part #: 70-0098
J&M Supply Part #: CCDI0115
Southern MS Part #: OD080115
WPS (Western Powersports) Part #: 609-0915

6-PIN CDI BOX. High Performance CDI

AC powered, with timing advance, $71 cdn, $58 usa.

Outside Distributing Part #: 08-0112-HP

Royal Distributing Part #: C01-080112
Kimpex Part #: 217105
Gamma Sales Part #: 83-00507
USA
Marshall Distributing Part #: 70-0097
J&M Supply Part #: CCDI0112HP
Southern MS Part #: OD080112HP
WPS (Western Powersports) Part #: 609-0914

-

·
Registered
638 Posts
good information, thanks for putting this out here.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I think this should be a sticky or whatever you call it!!!!

Tom

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is some great info!

I am in Dartmouth, NS and think I will be picking up the high performance CDI for my TW225 build ...... did you order it in locally or off Ebay?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is some great info!

I am in Dartmouth, NS and think I will be picking up the high performance CDI for my TW225 build ...... did you order it in locally or off Ebay?
hello heli-mech. outside distributing does not sell directly; just go to your local bike shop and order it through them, they then order through their distributer (my local shop uses kimpex).

fyi, there's a "blueprint" for a simple camshaft dizzy setup on my page (i haven't built it yet, though i have all the parts). this would allow timing fine-tuning.

-

@ dryden-tdub, once there's a bit more group knowledge gathered i will distill it down and submit a "sticky request".

so if folks try these cdi's, please post how it goes to this thread. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
-

@ dryden-tdub, once there's a bit more group knowledge gathered i will distill it down and submit a "sticky request".

so if folks try these cdi's, please post how it goes to this thread. thanks!
Agreed — we need to get the accumulated knowledge of the board on this thread first …….

From what I understand of the various CDI Issues, the second and third ones will work, but lack the timing advance - anything over 50 mph and you’ll notice — the fourth option is a new development though — very useful to know (thanks)

Ignitech remains a strong option — though they’re not cheap — but they’re programmable on demand for the TW - Electronic for motorbikes - IgniTech P?elou?

For the record — this is the advance chart concerned for the TW

advance tw200.JPG

Do we have charts for the fourth option ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
have you tried to wire the new style Cdi into the old harness?

i think putting a new style cdi onto a drum brake tw will solve all the issues with that older type of cdi, am i right in assuming that both engines run the same electrics, timing curve, spark etc, etc, just different colour wiring but doing the same thing??
i have both wire diagrams but not found the time to actually sit down and look into it yet, it will be a case of the small type female spades and some patience!

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
This has been posted a couple of times. It is worth another look.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
my journey of cdi discovery temporarily detoured via http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/25313-advanced-timing-killed-my-piston.html

any new cdi related info, please continue to post in this thread!

-

in the meantime, so in the future i won't have to post a thread titled advanced-timing-killed-my-piston2, i've started building my camshaft distributor project. this will allow tunable ignition triggering.

tw_camtime_v1.0.jpg

possible kinks include that the camshaft turns 1/2 the speed of the crank, and thus 1deg of physical change at the cam = 2deg of timing change. so adjustment will have to be fine. also there might be a small (1-2deg) varience due to timing chain streatch/wear/slack.

tw_ camdiz_build3.JPG

this is the plate getting roughed in. am leaving as much extra plate as possible, act as cooling fins and allow for attaching stuff while not having bolts etc that could fall into engine compartment.

tw_camdiz_build2.JPG

the bolt, i didn't have locktight so i used hard setting permatex1 and set the nut hard against the thread ends (die'd to extend threaded area).
the seal is metric so who has metric drilling on hand. od is ~31/32. so i holesawed to 7/8 and then used a tapered reamer to enlarge.

the seal sits about 1/3 into the taper. a retainer flange will hold it in there snug. might not even leak...

the trigger vane is off a ford duraspark, 2x vanes ground off. (keeping wasted spark). need to bushing that to the shaft, hopefully a high-heat plastic that can be pressed onto the shaft but still adjusted. (the picture makes the vane look bigger than it actually is).

the pickup is also duraspark. rotation is ccw here so pickup will have to be mounted upside down. may be able to use the pickup module away from the metal it's set into which would then be non-directional. this is what i have on hand at the moment.

still pending, besides the seal retainer and mounting the pickup - 1) an access port to view tdc mark on cam sprocket, and 2) led-lit timing display disk on the end of the new shaft. stock pickup gives 0deg ref pulse, pulse from cdi output (reduced for an led) gives actual firing timing.

that's the plan, anyway.

-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts