TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a TW200 come stock with a 47T rear sprocket? I have the original and it is a 47 tooth. The TW200 is a 2014... The guy I bought it from replaced the rear with a 44 tooth. Goes very good on the highway but not some much on the trails. i am thinking of going to a 54 tooth for strictly offroad and sand riding. What do y'all think about that?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
El Capitan...
Just verified what I already knew...my 2014 has a 50t. original sprocket.
Must be some kind of switcheroo?
There is a ton of info on here on TW gearing. Just search for "gearing or sprockets" and note all the links at the bottom of the page to related posts.

By the way, thank you very much for your service as a Fire Captain...one of my Heroes!

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Honestly, I really can't tell the difference between the 50 and 55 tooth sprockets. Performance wise, using the highly tuned butt dyno, they are almost/virtually identical.

That being written, I went with the 55t sprocket if for no other reason than the "placebo affect" and have found the 55t sprocket to be well worth the conversion.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My Mentor used to say it was best to go big on sprocket size, no matter which end. "The tighter the bend in the chain, the greater the wear" being the guiding principle. I've never gone wrong with this principle. But chain wear might not be of concern to some.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
My Mentor used to say it was best to go big on sprocket size, no matter which end. "The tighter the bend in the chain, the greater the wear" being the guiding principle. I've never gone wrong with this principle. But chain wear might not be of concern to some.
I have used a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket since day one on two TWs. I got 11,000 miles on that first sprocket and now expect about the same on the new TW. However, I would never recommend anything less, for exactly the same reasons. It could be that I may have less chain life, but I got 16,000 miles on that first O-ring chain. Since the 13/50 setup is perfect for me, I think the trade off is worth it.

EDIT: I should note that at some point, maybe even 12 teeth, the side plates will start to wear the shaft, not good! Also, I sold that 2010 TW at 16,000 miles and the O-ring chain was still in good shape....it may go 25,000 miles, for all I know.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
the ol tighter circle chain wear myth lol

I once told that to my mentor and he bitch slapped me off my bar stool and I've never even been in a bar lol

chains are actually designed to "bend" around sprockets and a few thousandths of a degree is not a significant wear factor as much as environmental exposures to abrasives, acids or corrosives etc

and we aren't talking about a $2000 titanium chain it's a TW chain costing less than a trip to Taco Smell for the family

one could also argue longer chain equals more links to wear and or fail. more weight to carry.......................................

first time I looked at a sprocket chart it became obvious out little wonder bikes can achieve any desired ratio using only the front sprocket and all using the OEM chain length and all changes therefore can be made trail side in a pinch and yes that includes monster ATV tire ratios

Oh and lets remember we are talking about 16hp TW's not Elmer Tretts Nitro Funny Bike

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Honestly, I really can't tell the difference between the 50 and 55 tooth sprockets. Performance wise, using the highly tuned butt dyno, they are almost/virtually identical.

That being written, I went with the 55t sprocket if for no other reason than the "placebo affect" and have found the 55t sprocket to be well worth the conversion.
lmao the placebo effect I love it but I think it happened to me when I went from 14 to 15 front and finally to 16 - 50 other than first gear starts it didn't seem like a big difference

·
Registered
386 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a TW200 come stock with a 47T rear sprocket? I have the original and it is a 47 tooth. The TW200 is a 2014... The guy I bought it from replaced the rear with a 44 tooth. Goes very good on the highway but not some much on the trails. i am thinking of going to a 54 tooth for strictly offroad and sand riding. What do y'all think about that?
the jap ones are 14/47 and the 225's are 14/45

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the one I have say's Japan 47 on the sprocket... So maybe that is the answer... ordered a 54T to try out and see how she goes in the deeper sand. I know the 44T I have on it now... Sucks... geared way to high... lol...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yepper's... there were 47 of them... Just like the sprocket was marked... I was surprised myself. Figured i had read the sprocket wrong and the typical 50 would be present...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts