·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Did they ever hit their target?

Reactions: Gulfrider

·
Registered
746 Posts
That looks about like my shooting range right now. Hope they used lots of DEET!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks about like my shooting range right now. Hope they used lots of DEET!
Interesting because we had no mosquitoes around that area. Yes, we hit that frying pan with my Mosin and buddy's 10/22. Just takes a steady shooter. And LOL, funny to celebrate America with a Mosin.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Interesting because we had no mosquitoes around that area. Yes, we hit that frying pan with my Mosin and buddy's 10/22. Just takes a steady shooter. And LOL, funny to celebrate America with a Mosin.
I was thinking of chiggers. But you don't have those in New York, either. Be very glad. :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've heard about chiggers. What States have them?
Southern states. It must remain above 50 degrees F for a few months, because they become dormant below that temp.
Every year in late summer I watch the thermometer for it to finally drop below 50 overnight!

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
We have them over here - call them "Deer ticks" - Lymes disease - got to watch for bites in long grass

Glad you celebrated the holiday by shooting a frying pan - would have hated to see a jammed breach on a live target, (though the "enthusiasm" wasn't lost on me = Quick - it's getting away) ............

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
You guys too cheap to buy decent ear protection?
They all appear to be wearing adequate hearing protection. I like cans/muffs as much as anybody and own several pairs. However, when it is hot, sweat rings around your ears suck! Inner ear plugs work VERY well and are the first choice of the US armed services. Nice to see you are looking for proper hearing protection though:thumbsup:

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friend's dad is the one not wearing ear protection. Been doing that for the last 60 years. I have a few buddies who are like that too. People won't listen to smart advice :/

My dad grew up in cars that didn't have seat belts so u know where this is going.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We have them over here - call them "Deer ticks" - Lymes disease - got to watch for bites in long grass
We have deer ticks here, too. Not the same thing. Chiggers are tiny red mites that bite, then fall off. You generally don't even see them, but the enzymes they leave in your skin cause a maddening itch that lasts for days or weeks. Fortunately they aren't disease vectors.

Ticks on the other hand you have a chance to pick off before they bite, if you are lucky. But they carry Lyme disease as you mention, as well as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and other diseases.

·
Registered
746 Posts
How common are chiggers and ticks in Colorado? That is my main destination when I do the TAT next week.
No chiggers, but watch for ticks in the lower elevations.

Have a great time! Wish I were going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts