TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Interesting! I didn't know these were available.

Edit: Is that the manufacturing date code in the upper right corner of the label? 2001?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is just my opinion; it looks fine to me. If it's been indoors, and out of the sun; it should be perfectly serviceable. Please don't take my word for it. Y'all do whatever your comfortable with. I'm an old school guy, with old school ways, and I can tell by looking at, and feeling the rubber whether a tire is in good or bad condition. I've got one that age, and I'm putting it on this weekend, along with a Shinko 244 for the front. I'm going back to the off-road configuration, and am changing out the Shinko 428 set that I currently have on. I've got some tires that are NOS, and two to three times that age that are still in excellent condition. They're pretty scarce Dunlop K70's, and Pirelli MT28's. I guarantee I could sell them to vintage restorers who would love to have them, and they would go quick.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My "2 cents": The Cheng-Shin (CS) 180-14 is not available any longer. My buddy and I re-furbished and re-sold a 1998 TW that had a CS on the back when we found it. It still had the little rubber "feelers" so it had almost 0 miles on it. I could tell it was a 10+ year old tire but it had lots of grip and felt just fine. In fact, I started looking for them new. No luck.

The front tire on the 1998 was an OEM Bridgestone. It was harder than the "back-of-God's-head". It was very dangerous to ride. We put on a Shinko 244. I already had one on my '95 TW and loved it. IMO, the front OEM Bridgestone tire is crap. Don't buy a new one! Go with ShinKo. The OEM back tire is actually a very good tire, IMO. However, $75.00+/- (total) was a great deal for that tire.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, that was a good price for a tire that size. Again, in my opinion, a much better option than putting an ATV tire on the rear. It was the most aggressive rear tire in our size that I have ever found, and I have spent considerable time searching.

if whoever bought it is a member; please let us know what you think about it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
For an agressive rear knobbie on a TW, the stock Bridgestone is the only one, correct? I was going to buy that CS tire, but I waited to long, and now I'm SOL. Damn I don't need one yet, but saw it, and knowing CS is no longer, I figured I'd grab it. I wish someone made one for the rear more agressive for the rear.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The CS was a good feeling tire but the stock is just as good, I think. One downside: The Cheng Shin is a Chinese product. Probably the reason it disappeared.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guys a little help> if I have a choice in tires ( haha am I dreaming this is a possibility sitting here in Vietnam..) Shinko 428's or Bridgestone 203/204?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
When I bought my TW it had a Cheng Shin on the back. It only lasted about 5,000 miles and it was shot when I changed it for a Bridgestone. The only time a Cheng Shin is worth it is if you get one cheap and change your own tires, otherwise stick with the Bridgestone. It lasts 2000 or 3000 miles longer.

Even in its worn out state I think you can see the Cheng Shin is only a little bit more aggressive, not enough to feel bad about missing a deal on ebay.

A used Shin, and a new Bridgestone.

P8140186.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts