TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was looking at some 520 chain and sprocket sets for my TW and didnt understand the difference of the spacing and how it affected the gear ratio compared to the 428 sprockets. This looks like a great upgrade especially for a bike with a Bighorn rear tire. Can someone please enlighten me on this I currently run a stock front and a plus 1 on the rear and am happy with this.
Thanks
Jeerprt
harley 883R.jpg

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
51/14=3.64 Now do the same with the 520 sprockets, rear sprocket tooth count over front sprocket tooth count. If it equals 3.64 the gearing is the same. If it's a larger number, more pulling power but lower top speed. Smaller number, less pulling power but higher top speed. (If the engine has the power to run the ratio)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Are you snapping 428 chains? Didn't the XT350 come with a 428 chain? If you are snapping chains it's not because of too much power. Sounds more like an alignment or maintenance issue. The 520 adds weight and robs power as well as money from your check book. If you are snapping 428's then go with a stronger grade of 428.

16,000 lb http://sidewindersprockets.com/v-series_smart_chain.html

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with TWrider; this seems like a downgrade for the minimal 13 horses that TW gives us. I think you'd really notice a loss of power with a bigger, heavier chain.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The 428 DID X-Ring I put on my TW is pretty stout for my high output bike....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Hey Jeeprt,

A 520 chain is a much beefier chain and as a result will require larger, heavier 520 sized sprockets. Assuming that the 520 size sprockets (14 front and 51 rear) are available and will fit on your TW with acceptable clearance, this change will have no impact on your existing gear ratio.

Just curious, what benefits do you plan to gain by going from the 428 to 520 size?

Brian

OK I was looking at some 520 chain and sprocket sets for my TW and didnt understand the difference of the spacing and how it affected the gear ratio compared to the 428 sprockets. This looks like a great upgrade especially for a bike with a Bighorn rear tire. Can someone please enlighten me on this I currently run a stock front and a plus 1 on the rear and am happy with this.
Thanks
Jeerprt
View attachment 7251

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
520 size chain will stress the counter shaft bearing to much. Plus, on a little 200cc engine, it will rob power, enough to notice. I'd stay away from that mod. If your breaking chains, then buy a good quality o-ring chain. Also, make sure you don't have it adjusted to tight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did the 520 swap on all three of my XTs and my TW and ive noticed no power loss and almost no chain stretch after the first adjustment. The 1984 XT250 had a 520 chain stock, not sure why they went with a 428 on the 350. I think that bearing at the end can withstand alot more than the engine itself can handle. Also, with an ATV tire that has much more rotational mass than a stock tire or any other dirtbikes tire, there is more energy needed to turn that tire. And a bigger chain doesnt wear and doesnt stretch to the extent the little one does with the same load. You wouldnt pull your buddy out of the mud with kite string! Beef that bike up!

Just my 2 cents, to each their own!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts