TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the TW world (and motorcycles in general), but I bought a 2018 TW200 about a month or two ago and decided to put a 45 sprocket on the back. I mainly ride on country roads so I thought that this would work better for me. While it is awesome between 1st and 4th ( I can get up to 55mph pretty easily in 4th), as soon as I switch over to 5th I really can't get anymore acceleration no matter how much throttle I give it. Do I need to be at higher rpms when I switch into 5th? The bike feels like it's too low to get any power.

I don't mind not having any more acceleration because I don't have a desire to go much faster than 55mph. However I was wondering if this is bad for the bike in any way?

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Rev the tits off it before changing into 5th - just to the point where you are convinced it has become a competition between the engine exploding, or your teeth falling out

It does sound as though your 45 is holding the bike back a bit - Yamaha had it about right at 49/50

The 45 is a trade off - try the original configuration .......

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Too little horsepower. But it makes 1st through 4th more user friendly on the street - and 5th becomes like an overdrive; reducing vibration etc. making for a much smoother, more pleasurable ride.

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
A 15 on the front works well or a 47 on the rear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
rev the tits off it before changing into 5th - just to the point where you are convinced it has become a competition between the engine exploding, or your teeth falling out

it does sound as though your 45 is holding the bike back a bit - yamaha had it about right at 49/50
the 45 is a trade off - try the original configuration .......
??????,”rev the tits off it “ , i love your words of wisdom there, more of it please

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
...I don't mind not having any more acceleration because I don't have a desire to go much faster than 55mph. However I was wondering if this is bad for the bike in any way?
The only reason it may be bad for the bike is that you probably haven't broken it in yet. I'd put the OEM 50 back on until 1,500 miles, and then try it again. As others have said, a 45 is a bit low for all but really flat terrain.

·
26 Posts
I ground off one of my gears a few months ago, I read someplace that 4th gear is a direct drive gear... or maybe the mechanic told me... and 5th is overdrive.
Here is one of the forums I read about it, plus gear-ratios for the TW:
https://www.motorbike-forums.com/threads/yamaha-tw200-2006.3966/

One of the gears from my TW last fall:
(the mechanic said the problem in my case wasn't the transmission but the bolt bushing that holds the swing-arm on, he recommended changing it every 30,000km)

View attachment 162674

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
45 tooth is too high a final drive for a stock engine. I tried a47 and used it for a while but finally decided I liked the stock 14 X 50 stock ratios.
I now run a 14 X 54 tooth on my 200cc Van Van but then it is also hauling a sidecar. Stock on the Van Van is 14 X46.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I found with the stock 5 speed that I liked the stock gearing the best. That fifth gear Sri always was tough to deal with. When in gravel forest service roads I would hunt between 4th and fifth all day! I suppose the other thing is I learned quickly that you can rev it till the tits fly right off. Eventually I ditched the stock dash and went with a trail tech so that I could know what the engine was doing other than screaming. After having the six speed for a few years I really don’t know why it didn’t come that way. It’s makes a big difference. Your bike is new so enjoy it but if you get the itch the 6 speed 225 sure makes the bike a different animal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts