TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal was to avoid the highways as much as possible and even though I did find myself riding them more then I wanted to, most of them were were located in low-population, scenic area's. (the exception being busy hwy 97 between Bend and the cut-off for Crater Lake on the last day- it was supposed to rain the following day so I wanted to cover some ground).

I enjoyed the off-road ability of the TW but wish I was on something offering a bit more comfort. Also
found out the disadvantage of a light bike on the highways getting blown around a lot (as jb882 pointed out in another thread). Total mileage was just over 1000 and averaged about 78 mpg. I think the whole trip cost less then $100.00. Primitive free camping every night. (did I mention that I'm frugal)? See link below for map of the route:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zNpf_RjvTz6I.k0adI_8Qj0Fs
20140512_120820.jpg 20140513_113012.jpg 20140513_172113.jpg

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
Nice pictures, nice trip. Like your hammock tent, just need two trees ( Oregon has a few trees I hear).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sadly most of my tips only burn $4 of fuel. I resolve to spend more money on motorcycle fuel this year! Love east oregon. Used to spend a bit of time there back in mid 90s sort of a different area west of boise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Used to spend a bit of time there back in mid 90s"

Actually I spent some time in Wasilla back in the 80's. Bears chased me out :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wasilla in the 80s? The best and worst of times to be a wasillan. You wouldn't recognize the place now. Ten times the number of people. Fewer trails. Way freaking warmer. Especially the winters. Fewer cars getting torched at Jim creek. More cars commuting to anchorage. Less distinctive of a place to live. More connected to anchorage. Fewer mullets more Starbucks. Too many people!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
RDW,

This looked like an excellent adventure. I liked seeing it from the TW perspective rather than one of a group of larger adventure bikes. As much as photo's can, I really felt like I was riding along and able to experience the solitude and vastness of the land.

Just a note: I clicked on the map link, and though it showed a general map, it didn't show your route. Some photo's I knew where you were, other's I thought I might know, and other's I had no idea. Regardless, they were all pretty.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure. Well done!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Admiral,
When I click the link the route pops right up from my computer. I guess I don't understand how the sharing feature works on google maps. There is a box that says: "invite people". There's got to be more to it then just entering the URL for this site? Advice appreciated.

RDW,

This looked like an excellent adventure. I liked seeing it from the TW perspective rather than one of a group of larger adventure bikes. As much as photo's can, I really felt like I was riding along and able to experience the solitude and vastness of the land.

Just a note: I clicked on the map link, and though it showed a general map, it didn't show your route. Some photo's I knew where you were, other's I thought I might know, and other's I had no idea. Regardless, they were all pretty.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure. Well done!

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is some very beautiful country! My wife and I aspire to camping on ours as well, but she has a long way to go before we can ride highways to get to good areas.
That certainly looks like freedom to me!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks btrnrsntfl,
I wouldn't wait-- instead just load them up in a trailer and do day trips from a campsite. That way you're able to have some luxuries like an ice chest and chairs and the ability to ride unencumbered. explore an area for a day or two and then move base-camp to another location. I plan on doing a bit of this later in the summer.
Cheers,

That is some very beautiful country! My wife and I aspire to camping on ours as well, but she has a long way to go before we can ride highways to get to good areas.
That certainly looks like freedom to me!

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
RDW is right, don't wait. Day ride from basecamp then relocate to new areas. You will spend more on gas and lose time backtracking but you won't have to carry 100% of your gear all the time and will have more luxurious accommodations and shelter should weather turn nasty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts