TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason besides popularity that V-Stroms cost so much more than others?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Probably because they are so popular. I always thought they were the ugliest bike out there and when I rode a couple older ones my opinion was that they were comfortable but extremely uninspiring. Last summer at the Suzuki demo rides I ended up taking one out because it was the only ride left...wow they changed the bike in 2012 and it is so much nicer than the earlier ones... very smooth engine with more top end power, better handling, slightly taller which is more comfort to me and a nicer instrument cluster with analog tach and gear indicator. If I was buying a bike to do lots of traveling it would be the Wee-Strom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ridden two. First was about stock with luggage. It was a yawn. The second had suspension, brake, and exhaust upgrades and a chip and dyno tune. I could very easily get arrested on that one. Still, they were both terribly expensive for what they were, darn near BMW territory. Used V-stroms with low miles outprice similar BMWs. It's insane.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If I had the money..... BMW for sure.. Some times us normal folks must compromise..... I wanted a Beammer but ended up with a "SWEEEEET" Trump and love it.. OMM.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
From what ive seen on the used markets its hard the beat a vstrom 650 for the money. Ive seen alot of nice used ones with a bunch of farkles and decent miles well below 5g some even in the $3500-4000 dollar range. I think thats why they are so popular. I dont find them attractive looking at all except the newer ones but I dont really care to much about looks anymore. I ride a tw and a honda reflex 250 which is about the bottom of the barrel if a guy has man pride issues. Also the versys is a decent bike. For a midget like me a versys or bmw fit me better. The strom has a bit more reach to the bars. The vstrom isnt quite as peppy as the old sv650. On the cheap it seems like a vstrom, klr, nighthawk is hard to beat for the money or sometimes a reasonable deal can be found on a versys.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only V-stroms I've seen for below $5K have 30,000+ miles. The reach for the bars on a Strom means ditch the windshield and let the air hit you in the chest to take pressure off the hands and arms. Not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I picked up my '12 V-Strom 650 18 months ago for $4600 as a salvage title. You'd never know it had ever had any damage, so it was a heck of a deal. I LOVE that bike. It's super comfy, gets 55-65 mpg more often than not, and is way more capable off-road than you would think. I've put 11k miles on it since I bought it (it had 6k at that time).

Rob

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you guys get the Honda NC700?
Not a fan of it, but I baby-sat a friends' whilst he was at sea for a few months, and was surprised at it's all-round capability.

Also really reasonably priced out here compared to it's competition.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I guess I need to put some seat time on a V-storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've ridden over 100 cycles from many brands but miss out on a storm.:confused: OMM.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not sure what you are comparing the Strom to but when compared to most other bikes in its class of Adventure Touring motorcycles its a good deal IMO.
I bought a new one in 09 and still have it and plan on wearing it out but with many running around with tons of miles or klm on them I will probably wear out first.
The bike may not win any beauty contests but they are known to be rock solid reliable with few major problems just like the mighty TW. I have about 54,000 absolutely trouble free km on mine and expect many more. The suspension,seat and handle bars need improving for most. I have a couple grand worth of suspension mods, a Russel Day Long seat and bar risers as well as a bunch of other mods and the bike is now suited perfectly for me. Makes a great long distance tourer yet I can get off the beaten path and enjoy the back roads especially with the right tires.
Generally when I find something I like I keep it until it's pretty much done......However the new 2015 model with all its improvements including spoked wheels has me Jonesing for a new one. If I could swap my suspension,seat,luggage and other mods I would definately pull the trigger on a new one.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
There is an old feller here in Indy that has two of them with over 200k on each. He rebuilt the engine on one at 180k and it was still running fine just using a little oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts