TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's birthday is in a few days, and she's shown some interest in [re]learning to ride, but wanted a bike of her own, last time on a bike for her was when she was a young teenager on a trail 90. TWs are relatively few and far between here, and they almost never come up for a low price, so we didn't have much hope of going that route at this time. She also hates the 90s color schemes
Can't blame her -- my 97 is about as muted as the inexpensive 90s models get, and its still pretty in your face with the colors on the tank/seat. I've been watching a few semi-local craigslists for a while, and caught an ad for a *pair* of 70s Kawasaki 2 strokes, and having wanted one for quite a while, I knew it had to happen.

Yesterday, we decided to cut out of work early and left to have an adventure. 90 miles each way in my ratty old chevy truck, we averaged ~17mpg (pretty decent for a whipped 350 v8 in bad need of a tune up), blew a brake line (front, between the T and the proportioning valve, killing *all* front braking) at the very far end of the journey, and the upper radiator hose started leaking from rubbing on the alternator bracketry! Needless to say, this is pretty much how all of my adventures go, and its certainly not my first rodeo. When the brakes blew, I downshifted and swung a quick right turn on a side street, having broken down about 2miles from the guy's house, and 1500ft from an advance auto parts store. Well, it turned out the guy was an old car nut, and it was also not *his* first rodeo: he gave me access to his garage+tools, and gave me a ride to the parts store to buy a short section of brake line; I replaced it in his driveway and commenced to oogle the bikes
Needless to say, they're at my house, now, keeping the TW company in the shed.

The yellow one belongs to my happy wife, who spent an hour or so in the dark last night relearning the art of the clutch, and learning the art of the kickstarter

Yellow: 1975 KE125 (hers)

Brown: 1974 KE175/F7 (his)

She went to bed with quite a smile, and a bit of a bruise/scratch on her leg where the kickstarter bit her, but all in all: great adventure, and hope to have some good times on these smokey old enduros.

The yellow one needs fork seals, new tires/tubes, and the turn signal flasher doesn't work, although all the bulbs do. Otherwise, just basic transmission fluid change, fork flush, etc.

The brown one doesn't start without starting fluid yet, and the gas smells a bit varnished, but we did get it running before I loaded it up; it needs all of the same basic maintenance as the yellow one, plus has a few gaskets that need replacing. Otherwise, both are in good cosmetic shape and are "low miles" (2000-3000 on each), and run great.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
you're going to have a great time with those, they are a pair of great barn finds. congrats!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Those kaws are cool. What I like about the old enduros is the super wide handlebars. I have two Suzuki TS250 bikes at the moment. A '73 and a '74. I just like two stroke stuff. Two stroke stuff you can ride on the street legally is even better!

Also, I find them to be easier to keep running right than the old 4 stroke stuff I've had. Simplicity!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a TS-400 Suzuki or DT-400 Yamaha? Seems the big bore 2smokes are hard to find.

·
Registered
310 Posts
There's a 200 dollar Suzuki TS400 on my local craigslist, but I'm in Iowa, so I'm sure it's not worth your while. They're out there.. I think people just have them stuffed in garages because they don't think they're worth much.

Mine both run reliably and get about 75mpg. People underestimate old stuff.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the wife's bike (KE125) is legal and inspectable now.. only thing wrong was the turn signals: flasher relay was shorted shut so they just stayed on instead of blinking. Turns out its really hard to find a 6V flasher relay in this town; NAPA ended up having a taller heavy duty 6V one with 3 pins instead of two; taping off the third pin it works fine and seems to fit!

The K7 (175) only needed the horn fixed, which turned out to be a wire unplugged. The K7 still is very finicky about starting; it'll fire on the first kick but if you don't keep it running, it seems you're done for a few hours. I've had good luck, I got it to start on the first kick two days in a row. I suspect its leaking air, apparently the 175 is renowned for that. Lots of bits and bobs to buy for it to get it in good shape, there have been a few hackish fixes (front brake light switch, rear taillight lens, duct tape over the carb adjustment hole instead of the appropriate seal, which looks hard to source).

Here's a bit of background: I'd been looking for a KE100 for my wife, since its a nice small/cheap bike and they can be had in modern form, 70s up until 2001 or something ridiculous. However, I couldn't find any close enough for a reasonable price, and then these popped up
She's had a blast putting around the yard and woods on hers, and I've done the same, the times I could get it to start, at least. Hers fires up first kick every time, and is in notably better shape all around.

HOWEVER: you folks will love this one. After riding hers around for most of our lunch break today, I convinced her to take the TW for a spin in the yard, and now she's hooked on my bike. I think it'll be easier for her to learn to ride in the dirt on the TW though, its a lot more stable with its chubby tires. Probably gonna have to go and buy her a TW now, too!

There are far worse things in life than an empty wallet and a happy wife

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Take her on a ride over to my place and run some of the trails, I saw you said last night she did 7 miles in the yard... that's too many miles for your little yard man

The DRZ fully loaded with bags and gear made it up to the tops of the ridges no prob, those little billy goats should go damn near anywhere. If she's not comfortable with some of it there are always the semi-groomed trails on the back side of the field. Let me know though so the wife can be informed, wouldn't want the dogs set out on ya

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found this video from last autumn.. I own two Suzuki TS250 bikes (1973 is the one in this video.)

They're almost equally matched with the TW200 in terms of 'streetability' because they really top out at about 60mph. They probably get there a bit quicker though

This was a video I made when I had gone through it the first time to get it running. It was pulled out of a shed and had not been titled since 1986 prior to last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Vk6ZDYdeY

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've since got the brown f7 running and have put 120miles or so on it putting back and forth to work. I'm having a blast on it: but the lack of baffles in the exhaust sure does make for some head-turns when I go by. Too bad new baffles seem to cost an arm and/or a leg. I do intend on getting a real gas cap for it, though

·
Registered
310 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay for exhaust baffles or a whole new exhaust. My friend just picked up a clapped out F7 with no title for 50 bucks on craigslist. I have to say it looks like it'll be fun, but the rotary intake on the side of the engine has me baffled

I say this as an owner of several vespas with rotary pad induction haha..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts