Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I owned 2 of these bikes the best one was a 1975 H1F MKIII 500cc Candy Gold color ( I loved this bike) I put around 25,000 miles on it before selling it about 2 years later to buy a 1978 Z1R-TC, before that I owned a 1971 H2 MKIV ( it was really beat did not keep it long) Very fast bikes that did not handle worth a crap, bad fuel mileage, bad brakes, bad seating position for comfort. But a whole lot of super torque-y fun. I remember paying $875 for the MKIII in 1978, I believe the MKIV was around $350.00
When they introduced the H1 MKIII was the quickest production motorcycle made just under 13 second quarter mile.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
would love to ride one of these one day! and a funny CL ad Nothing funny about it, he is telling the truth.

74 h2 750
jckosnow- I don't know how old you are or if you have ridden one of these, but in their day...That was the fastest production motorcycle in the world. Lizrdbrth had his experiences on one, I have too. I had one to 140 mph with 2 people on it and also did a few 50mph+ wheelies. These are screaming machines, not a lot of them around anymore or their riders. A lot of people got killed on these. It was flat out dangerous, but what a rush!! It could leave your knee's knocking and your whole body shaking with adreneline after a wild ride. Honestly, they had more power than you can even describe and once you got to around 4 or 5 thousand rpms and were still gunning it, it just came alive, you were at redline before you could blink, on one wheel.

Reactions: keithmaine

·
Registered
226 Posts
great description littletommy really sums it up I too had mine to a tick over 140 but I was alone, and accidentally passed a cop who luckily never caught up to me or did not bother to chase I will never know which

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
great description littletommy really sums it up I too had mine to a tick over 140 but I was alone, and accidentally passed a cop who luckily never caught up to me or did not bother to chase I will never know which
Yeah, they were really something!! I've learned to slow down over the years and aren't as crazy as I once was. Now days, I am perfectly happy plugging along at 40 or 50 mph. I don't even like going on the highway anymore. I love riding so much and always have. I only want one thing now days and that is to live to ride tomorrow! I'd love hearing from any other members who happened to ride one of these old mach 3's.

Keith, you gotta read Lizrdbrth's story about these. I forgot where it is, but it's worth reading and funny. You would get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
This should make any of us old farts who ever rode one cringe. lol.

I have seen one of these in the flesh. The only clue that they weren't born this way is a line of gorgeous tig work where the extra cylinder was tacked on. It's beautiful work, but the thought of riding one with an extra 250cc's just makes my butt pucker. lol. But the guy will build you one just like it if your affairs are in order.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Isn't that interesting, wow, can't even imagine what it would be like to ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would love to ride an h3 once just to feel it come alive. Im sure it wouldnt be the fastest bike ive ever ridden but one of the coolest. Just talking about two-smokers makes me miss my old Banshee!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Frame was a wet noodle. There was one back in the day with a turbo making 200 HP.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That pic sure brings back memories. The 750cc was a beast and the little brother 500cc triple was no slouch either.. If I remember one of then was said to perform 0-60 in just under 5 seconds, which was the quickest of the day. I never owned either, but rode both on occasions as my older friend owned a 750 and my sister's boyfriend had the 500.. The owner of the 750 was hassled (days later) by the police for running past their speed trap and never stopping for their blues. It seems one of his younger, stupid friends was riding his bike like a suicide idiot and he was blamed. I never told him it was me. Those bikes were scary quick, once you wound them up! Thanks for the memories.

"Get it while you can" Janis J.

AT

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That was the very first new bike I ever bought! 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple. I was in the Navy stationed at NAS Norfolk, VA. I had the engine ported and polished and balanced and blue printed at Commonwealth Cycles and a set of Bill Wirgess tuned expansion chambers installed. I called it the Blue Beast and it would beat any bike on the road back then. The only thing it did good was go real fast in a straight line. It was a death trap above 120 MPH as the frame was far too weak to handle all that power. Like the crotch rockets of today, I could pop wheelies doing 40 or 50 but if the front wheel came down too hard it had a serious death wobble from the front forks. My best recorded 1/4 mile was 10.7 and on my third run I broke the chain and took the entire left side of the motor and the foot peg right off.

Sadly, the guy I sold it to died in a crash the third day he owned it. I have a picture of me on it somewhere around here doing a wheelie and in my Zig Zag man T shirt with no helmet. I keep it as a reminder of my wild days. The bike was $1400 brand new and I spent over a grand getting it highly tuned.

GaryL

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
They were "RAW" power suicide machines for sure........... They put fear in the hearts of the riders and anyone crazy enough to race next to one... They were king for many years until the next crazy bike came out.. The mighty 900 kaw four stroke.... Then came the all out crazy,tire smoking V-Max V four... I've lived through them all, by not owning them. LOL OMM.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My next bike after the Kawi was a Yellow 750 Norton Commando and it too was a screamer but much better bike all around. The Kawi would have easily beat it in a straight line but not by enough to make a difference and the Norton handled 10X better. I would never own another H2 Kawi and don't miss that bike at all but I sure do wish I still had the Norton.

GaryL

·
Registered
603 Posts
When I was 16 I traded a Model A coupe for an Indian Chief. Suicide clutch, stick shift left side of gas tank, ignition timing on the left twist grip. Wish I had'm both back.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I find it interesting that these older bikes, particularly the ones like the triple Kawasakis that were terrible in every way other than raw power, are commanding such high dollars today. I would love to get a decent barn find, unmolested Norton or Triumph but in my travels I have found a few nice Kawasakis that I walked right by. I do get a little thrill when I see a 750 H2 but I think the thrill comes from my living through having owned one.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts