TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Be carefull, I think you are better off getting the 76CSX. Check the specs. JMO Or find a new/used 60CSX for 50 or so dollars more.

Features: of the 76CX

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes

Electronic compass: no

Touchscreen: no

Barometric altimeter: no

Camera: no

Geocaching-friendly: yes

Custom maps compatible: no

Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): no

Outdoor GPS games: yes

Hunt/fish calendar: yes

Sun and moon information: yes

Tide tables: yes

Area calculation: yes

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): no

Picture viewer: no

Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data): no

What's in the Box:

GPSMAP 76Cx

Basemap

128 MB microSD card

USB cable

MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager

Wrist strap

Owner's manual

Quick reference guide

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went down to my local West Marine and bought a new Garmin 76cx for $149.

Few notes.

It does not have a 128meg memory card in it like the box says. It has 1 Gig.

They have a 30 day return policy.

The web site shows a 2 year warranty for I think it was $29 and a 3 year for $39.

In the store they offer a 3 year warranty for $23.

Brought it home stuck the batteries in and it works fine. Plenty of sat reception from inside my house.

Check West Marine out. It looks to be a good deal when used ones are selling for $130 - $180 on flea bay.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Went down to my local West Marine and bought a new Garmin 76cx for $149.

Few notes.

It does not have a 128meg memory card in it like the box says. It has 1 Gig.

They have a 30 day return policy.

The web site shows a 2 year warranty for I think it was $29 and a 3 year for $39.

In the store they offer a 3 year warranty for $23.

Brought it home stuck the batteries in and it works fine. Plenty of sat reception from inside my house.

Check West Marine out. It looks to be a good deal when used ones are selling for $130 - $180 on flea bay.

Not sure where you are from (profile not filled out) but I think you are going to miss that there is no Barometric altimeter. One of the things I like about my 60cx, would I like a 60csx YES but 60cx just doesn't have the sd card is all but is fine for now, enjoy your new toy.

GPS Store

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I will be happy with the cx version. I am in Florida so most of my riding the altitude will vary by only maybe 100 feet or so.

I did not want the "S" version as the altitude and compass heading as determined by moving with the GPS is fine for me.

Also note the "S" version has a little shorter battery life. I would only be turning the electronic altimeter off as much as I could to save battery power.

I plan to use this with just the batteries. Carry 2 AA bats for each day you plan to be on the trail and you are all set. Plus AA bats are readily available just about anywhere that has gas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This 2 day sale is over. Garmin 76cx

It will be interesting to watch the best prices for these between now and early January 2012.

BTW - I put 2 new AA batteries in it left in on. Used it good part of Saturday. Left it on overnight and rode with it good part of Sunday.

At 30 hrs I got the low battery warning!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This 2 day sale is over. Garmin 76cx

It will be interesting to watch the best prices for these between now and early January 2012.

BTW - I put 2 new AA batteries in it left in on. Used it good part of Saturday. Left it on overnight and rode with it good part of Sunday.

At 30 hrs I got the low battery warning!
My wife's unit goes 16hrs. with recharge batt. OMM. That's running with back light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts