TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 and its doing some intermittent sputtering and coughing. Will run great for 20-30 minutes, runs quite well, then out of nowhere its like it falls on its face, will idle perfect but fall on its face with any rpm, sometimes backfiring some. I've had a lot of bikes, I feel like its not the carb, as I have it apart and ultrasonic cleaned, replaced parts, infected, etc. I know better than to completely discount the possibility its the carb, but I don't think it is, feels like ignition to me.

My question is; I have an 89 parts motor, can I swap the stator cover and guts over to the 87 without too much trouble? Does the flywheel need swapped as well? I have the cdi for the 89 as well, but will have to make my own harness, which isn't a big deal, have deutsch connectors at my disposal. I could snag a harness off eBay maybe. Its an off-road only bike, don't have title for it, so I would probably strip down harness to minimal needed.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mind me asking where you found it and approx how much? Worst time of the year for shipping packages with high volumes and potential weather problems. Hope it arrives soon. Thanks and cheers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a weird deal, it was listed on eBay with a terrible description but was what I needed. Snagged it for $200 shipped, with carb and cdi. Buuuuuttttt, it got lost in shipping tracking stalled out like 4 days ago. UPS is looking for it. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a CDI for my '87 out of Czech Republic (I think?!) and it was the magic bullet. Same symptoms, sputtering/dying coughing then perfect, totally intermittent until I was able to actually move the CDI around and cause it to sputter. Harness was fine so I gambled and it worked. I think it was from a link someone had posted on the forum...search CDI. Same deal as above around $200 and took a bit to get here but finally showed up and worked great.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have an 87 and its doing some intermittent sputtering and coughing. Will run great for 20-30 minutes, runs quite well, then out of nowhere its like it falls on its face, will idle perfect but fall on its face with any rpm, sometimes backfiring some. I've had a lot of bikes, I feel like its not the carb, as I have it apart and ultrasonic cleaned, replaced parts, infected, etc. I know better than to completely discount the possibility its the carb, but I don't think it is, feels like ignition to me.

My question is; I have an 89 parts motor, can I swap the stator cover and guts over to the 87 without too much trouble? Does the flywheel need swapped as well? I have the cdi for the 89 as well, but will have to make my own harness, which isn't a big deal, have deutsch connectors at my disposal. I could snag a harness off eBay maybe. Its an off-road only bike, don't have title for it, so I would probably strip down harness to minimal needed.
Yes and yes. Cover, stator, flywheel, CDI, and also you will need the regulator for an '89. And you will need to reconnect the headlight to the output side of the reg, because the '87 headlight runs on the AC output of the stator.
I swapped '01 to present electrics into my '87 and it works fine.

It's actually possible to make any year CDI run with any year stator, cover, pickup coil and flywheel (although the '87 flywheel must use an '87 stator and vice versa), but my reasoning was that the wiring from my original stator and pickup were ratty, and the windings had been subjected to 30 years of hot oil so I might as well upgrade while I was upgrading the CDI.
But especially on a TW that will be stripped down and used as a dirt bike, it would be no real problem to make the original stator/pickup/flywheel work with a new $150 '01-up CDI. The '01-up CDI is simpler to wire, too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes and yes. Cover, stator, flywheel, CDI, and also you will need the regulator for an '89. And you will need to reconnect the headlight to the output side of the reg, because the '87 headlight runs on the AC output of the stator.
I swapped '01 to present electrics into my '87 and it works fine.
Good info. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts