TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an 87 TW that has been driving me crazy. Ive had it for about 10 years. I used to ride it all the time with almost no problems. I had to replace the cdi several years ago and put about 1000 miles on it after that. When the cdi died, it was completely dead and wouldnt attempt to start at all. The bike sat in my barn the past 2 years and had not been started. I recently started working on it to get it road worthy again. I couldnt get it running right, and the carb was pretty gummy, so I bought a carb kit. After installing the carb kit I had it running perfect. I rode it a couple miles with no problems at all. The next time I tried starting it sputtered and died. I can usually get it running with the choke on, and can sometimes get it to idle with the choke off. You can play with the throttle and get it rev but it cuts out. I've taken apart the carb several times since my running problems and I cant find anything wrong. While running I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake boot looking for air leaks. I've also played with the pilot screw several times. I'm tempted to buy another carb to eliminate that as a problem, but after reading posts on here about bad cdi's, im hesitating. Does this sound like a cdi problem to anyone? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does not sound like CDI problems.

Give it a good dose of Seafoam in the tank. Better yet remove carb, soak in Seafoam and clean it out good. Many small orifices that easily replug up if any dirt is left in the carb or gas.

After being stored for some time mine ran poorly like yours for awhile. I Seafoamed it as above. Still had some problems. Next day or so going about 50mph it got into a spell of serious coughing then a big backfire and it has run perfect ever since.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not sound like CDI problems.

Give it a good dose of Seafoam in the tank. Better yet remove carb, soak in Seafoam and clean it out good. Many small orifices that easily replug up if any dirt is left in the carb or gas.

After being stored for some time mine ran poorly like yours for awhile. I Seafoamed it as above. Still had some problems. Next day or so going about 50mph it got into a spell of serious coughing then a big backfire and it has run perfect ever since.

Thanks for thr info. I gave it another test today. I hooked up a timing light to see if it had any misses. I'm using an old timing light but I do appear to be having a LOT of misses when its running. I also have a brand new tank and new fuel line on it now. I'm 100% positive that the carb is clean. I guess I can give the seafoam a try as well.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm using an old timing light but I do appear to be having a LOT of misses when its running. ...
Check the ignition coil, spark plug cap, and the pulser coil? The procedure is in the manual under troubleshooting.

jb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts