TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum but I’m all out of ideas here. I acquired an 87 TW that was a piece of junk from someone’s back yard. I got the engine running and after that the restoration game went full throttle. I pulled every nut and bolt off the bike and restored it back to its original state minus the new paint all over. I plan on doing more and want to ride this thing really bad, but I’ve hit a big snag.
Bike idles perfect pulls through all the gears just fine with very little throttle application, but as soon as I crest over 1/3 throttle it sputters/coughs/backfires/and falls flat. I‘ve combed the internet for all the answers and have completed EVERY basic to mid level check that I can do. (space the carb needle, larger jets, vacuum leaks, adjust valves, clean filter, new plug, good gas, fuel height correct etc.....) so here I am to find the next step. My last Hail Mary would be to replace the CDI box as all I can figure at this point is improper timing??? That being said I’m in Kansas City and would love to plug in a borrowed CDI to see if that’s indeed the fault. I even put mine in the freezer as some suggested with ~little~ change in operation. Tell me what else I’m missing. Or if there’s anyone in the KC area with an older bike, I would love to come to you to borrow a CDI box before dropping $150-200 on a box that may or may not fix the bike. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Hey Army,

Welcome to the forum! I have a CDI from a 1987 that is known to be good (or at least I am pretty sure it is!). If you cannot find one locally, I would be happy to send you mine to test in your bike.

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Army,

Welcome to the forum! I have a CDI from a 1987 that is known to be good (or at least I am pretty sure it is!). If you cannot find one locally, I would be happy to send you mine to test in your bike.

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian
I am certainly interested. If you’d be willing to send it, I can pay for shipping both ways. I‘m in the Kansas City MO area, and we can work out the shipping details through email if you’d like. Thanks so much for the offer.

·
Registered
1987 TW200
22 Posts
I have the same issue pretty much with my 87. Ran fine for a minute after a ton of work. Now runs like crap. Backfires misfires. I have installed a clone carb on it with the new intake and boot and it fits great. But it ran like crap with the original carb so I went with the clone. I ran it around the block and it ran great. Then shut it down and ran like crap ever since. The tank was rusty and had been cleaned out. Possibly contaminated gas? Thats my next step is to drain tank remove and clean carb and reinstall but the thing has no power and only runs with the throttle on and just hisses back fires misfires and no power? Bad CDI???

·
Registered
1987 TW200
22 Posts
I have the same issue pretty much with my 87. Ran fine for a minute after a ton of work. Now runs like crap. Backfires misfires. I have installed a clone carb on it with the new intake and boot and it fits great. But it ran like crap with the original carb so I went with the clone. I ran it around the block and it ran great. Then shut it down and ran like crap ever since. The tank was rusty and had been cleaned out. Possibly contaminated gas? Thats my next step is to drain tank remove and clean carb and reinstall but the thing has no power and only runs with the throttle on and just hisses back fires misfires and no power? Bad CDI???
Follow up update this was a bad CDI. I applied a small clamp to the CDI and it ran OK. I installed a new CDI from Waterloo and it runs great and the headlight is brighter than with the old clamed CDI. I am a happy TW camper.

Reactions: CJ7Pilot
1 - 9 of 9 Posts