TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wondering what options you know of for headlights I can replace on my '87. I would love to put caged, dual round LED's on there, mostly for aesthetics for of course the functionality and anything brighter than stock would be a plus.

Do you guys know of any?

This is an amazing forum, great community here and proud to be a part of it!

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
The feed to the headlight on the ‘87’s is AC – most LED options require DC

Suggest you lower your sights a touch

The issue is, that the average LED is geared up to accept a DC current – eg “constant” – the ’87 was the only year to have an AC supply (just to the headlight), which means “alternating current”. Any LED you put in there is going to flicker, and potentially only going to give half of its output as the current “alternates”

As to the alternatives, I’ll put you in the hands of the other maniacs on here …….

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Loghousenut just may have the practical solution without having to raid the hallway light fixtures.:)
bulb.jpeg

Seriously a fellow could install a simple relay taking a signal from ignition switch to manage ON & OFF functions of the DC circuit Loghousenut described.
Feed power to a JNS replacement or a ~$25 LED headlight bulb matching the '87's reflector.
Get nice autonomous action there with no new manual switches to operate.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
You have an AC supply that you want to turn into a DC supply – so simply place a second rectifier on that wire. One input, one output, and a good earth, and it’s business as usual ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts