TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike for 350 because the kid started it (kickstart) right in front of me. Now it wont start by kicking or by the key. It needed new sprockets so after figuring out the crazy oil case that cover the front sprocket i got it all back together and had to kick the absolute shit out of it to start it, which it did eventually. When i bought the kid said the battery was dead and I didn't think much of it. But after opening it I realized it had no battery probably for a long time. Now it won't kickstart or crank over. the headlights turn on and what i believe to be the nuetral light ( the top cover is mia) comes on when the key is turn and i put it in nuetral. Im at a loss, I replaced the cdi but get no spark at the plug despite getting a new spark plug lead as well. Of note; the carb doesn't seem to fit into the airboot all the way? Its pressed against it but it doesnt slide in all the way like every other bike I've had.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
We might need to see some photos.

When you put the side cover back on, there's a wire that's pretty easy to pinch, which would shut the whole thing down.

Also, the headlight shouldn't come on with an '87, unless the engine is running... are you sure of the year? Has the engine been replaced with a later model?

If it's running a newer engine (and newer wiring), then the CDI you installed is probably the wrong one.

It sounds like the carb may have been replaced with something aftermarket. Mine came with a cheap Chinese eBay carb that was shorter than the factory carb... it ran pretty well, though.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
+1 and CJ7Pilot hit all the points. Nice Job CJ! Jeepers always know what the H they're doing.. ;)
Oh, and welcome to the forum! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Welcome to the board

We need pics of the bike in general (whole bike shot), and any other specific parts you regard as suspect - don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this .... ;)

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
" it had no battery" ? Surely there would be no headlight nor neutral light illuminated without a battery to supply power. May we assume you have added a battery since the "it had no battery" comment?

With battery power you say it "won't... crank over". Does this mean the starter motor is not engeaging nor turning over the engine, or that the starter motor turns over the engine but does not result in internal combustion?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Did you pinch the wires when you put the side of the case back on?

When you kick it, close the throttle and hold it closed -- start with it closed and if that doesn't work then just a tiny teeny bit open. If you open the throttle it is very difficult to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I've just gotten back around to messing with this thing. I have replaced the battery, I currently have the headlight removed but the turn signals neutral light and whatnot turn on.
I will check the title also when I get home but it may be an 89.
I'll post pics tomorrow morning before work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
" it had no battery" ? Surely there would be no headlight nor neutral light illuminated without a battery to supply power. May we assume you have added a battery since the "it had no battery" comment?

With battery power you say it "won't... crank over". Does this mean the starter motor is not engeaging nor turning over the engine, or that the starter motor turns over the engine but does not result in internal combustion?
When I try to start it nothing happens at all. No engine cranking no starter motor noise, nothing.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
$350 for a running TW with a title. I’d say you did ok. Might be some headaches ahead til you get things ironed out, but welcome to the forum and cheers. Lots of good advice already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome from NC. 350 and you found this forum...You are off to a great start! Awesome group of people and a ton of knowledge here. Take your time, a step at a time, and you will get it figured out. Good luck and keep posting your progress.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First of all, verify with certainty which model year you have. You will need this info for future reference. Don't look at your title. Look at the VIN. The '87 model year wiring is very different than subsequent model years.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Good advice there Boggs, welcome!

First of all, verify with certainty which model year you have. You will need this info for future reference. Don't look at your title. Look at the VIN. The '87 model year wiring is very different than subsequent model years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. My son left me a basket-case Tdub in my garage and I'm putting it back together. It seems I have all the parts. '88U model with probable CDI issues. I'm working through all the wiring schematics so I feel the pain of anyone with electrical issues.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Once it is confirmed that the bike is indeed a '87 ( and thus know that correct CDI replacement was installed) it is time to break out the multimeter and start chasing down possible elctrical gremlins. Service manual should list the various correct impedances and voltages encountered in healthy components. I would check the new CDI and battery too. For example ~12v should appear on one side of the starter switch with the key on. Switch when activated should have voltage appear on opposite side and also at starter's terminal. A systematic approach should reveal the issue for why no starter motor function, which might also be related to why engine will not run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts