TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thought I would introduce you to my new to me, 87. She was recently rescued. Had a tank and carb full of rust. Both were cleaned and with a borrowed battery she came alive. Didnt take long to find out iI had a CDI issue. it has been resolved with a factory new one. She has also receive a fresh oil change, new oil and fuel filter and a coil and now a new battery. Replace coil due to a what sounded like it was arcing through the wire but it still sounds like it has a random periodic miss. Will explore that more later as I was able to get her running and had to call it a day. Either way, here she is..

Thanks for all of the advice on here. It has proven to be priceless.

IMG_0097.JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Another 87 survives. Good for you bro!! :D

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the congrats. I am certainly excited. Pretty happy with progress so far. At the stage of deciding what it needs vs my wants. It needs some maintenance and I want to ride it.... When I got home this evening I sprayed everything I could find that had a head or a thread with PB blaster. Also cleaned the grease fittings with brake clean and forced some grease through them. The head light is very dim at idle. It does brighten with revs. Dims more than it should at idle though. Will have to look at the electrical system better. I am sure a modern bulb won't hurt the situation.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The dimming is normal for an 87, don't worry about it.
Thanks for the congrats. I am certainly excited. Pretty happy with progress so far. At the stage of deciding what it needs vs my wants. It needs some maintenance and I want to ride it.... When I got home this evening I sprayed everything I could find that had a head or a thread with PB blaster. Also cleaned the grease fittings with brake clean and forced some grease through them. The head light is very dim at idle. It does brighten with revs. Dims more than it should at idle though. Will have to look at the electrical system better. I am sure a modern bulb won't hurt the situation.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know if any one has told you but the 87s are the fastest of all the tw's....:D...if they say otherwise it's cause there jealous.....:p

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great job. Now the fun begins.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the mis was actually backfiring through the carb. Adjusted it and it went away. Helped with the headlight dimming also. After lookind at some schematics, the headlight is powered directly from the staitor as opposed to the battery. Will have to research that some more. Took it out this morning, was in the high 20's but was nice to get to ride it. Ran good other than cutting out at high rpm. Not bad since it is running for the first time in who knows how long and I am still dialing it in. Had a lot of fun!!

The mower is a mid 80's kubota with a 2 cylinder diesel. Picked it up this summer as I decided to move from a throw away John Deere mower to a lawn tractor. World of difference between the two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts