TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Been a while, and still tinkering.

Just recently in Ozzie Winter (down to maybe 5deg C in mornings, about 15deg C mid day). My TW doesn't start with the electric starter first try of the day (can be morning or afternoon).
So I kickstart no problems. After going for a ride, the electric starter will work (mostly) fine.

- Battery is charged (and seems to charge fine).

I searched but couldnt find this 'second' start electric thing working in the forums.

Any ideas? stator? Starter?

Thanks guys, for any pointers (or point me to the right thread... surely must be in here somewhere! Best TW200 forum!)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
How old is the battery? Generally, that is where I'd start because they are fairly cheap, and you really can't expect them to last more than a few years (even though many do).

What kind of charger are you using? Anything but a small charger like a Battery Tender Jr., which charges at only 750 milliamps should be used. Charging at higher amperage can prematurely ruin a small battery like what is in our bikes. If it is cold, you may want to leave it on a small maintainer such as this overnight.

It maybe something else...here is a post eluding to a possible starter problem: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/22617-starting-issue.html#post309761

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Is the starter not working, as in not turning the motor over, or does it turn the motor over and it just won't run on it's own?

·
Registered
927 Posts
My opinion: The starter needs cleaning/maintenance. It is taking too much power to turn it therefore "starving" the CDI. Kick starting leaves ALL the power for the ignition. Once warm, friction decreases enough for the electric start to work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a new battery. And yes use a trickle charger.

When i press the starter... It turns.. But sounds sluggish. Sometimes it might just sort of fire up but then doesnt keep going.

·
Super Moderator
18,536 Posts
Charge the battery up fully, then have it load tested.

Reactions: Jon62602

·
Registered
2004 R1150GSA BMW, 2018 Van Van, 2004 V star 1100
841 Posts
I'd concur that it's bat Ray starter maintainence related. I've come to conclusion the fastest way to wipe a bat Ray is overcharging. So watch trickle charge if it's not a high tech one. The sealed lead acid are the worst. I live in temperate California never have had need to trickle charge as I used to ride regular and it doesn't get really cold here. One trick that might help is disabling your headlight when trying to start, search this site.
The cheap dude solution is to start in morning manually n wait till complete failure or it warms up and trouble goes away. I went so long on my work TW with a feeble bat ray that I actually forgot it had the manic button. Load testing will tell the tale.
Pride that thing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Arbolmano, will look up the disable headlight too!

Great advice guys. thanks so much!

·
Registered
123 Posts
hi lozinoz

when an engine is cold, it's harder to turn over (oil is thicker, etc), the battery is colder (no charging activity, no heat from engine) and thus has lower output, and fuel is less volotile.

as well, the cdi may not be fully charged for the first few rev's.

problems show up when cold that do not manifest with a warm engine (carburation, weak spark, low compression, leaking carb boots, etc).

the extra couple rpm's you get from a kick can make the difference.

-

you say the starter sounds sluggish, and you have a new battery, so definately check your starter, and the big power connections between the bat and starter, and the grounds. try jumping directly to the starter from an automotive bat. it won't hurt the starter, just don't ruin the threads on the contact lug. the starter just draws what it needs. be careful for yourself though. if it turns sluggish, the problem is the starter. if it spins up good, the problem is on-board connections/power.

-

the cdi is powered separately from the 12v; even removing the battery, tho not recomended for other reasons, will not affect the cdi/ignition, (other than the safety interlock crap needs 12v power). if the starter is engaging, the interlock should be working.

disconnecting the headlight will not help at starting. the headlight is fed ~14vac (pre regulator) so is totally separate from the battery and thus the starter.

the tw's 12v charging system puts out 8amps on the older bikes, and more on the newer ones, so it's safe to charge at up to 10 amps at least. generally, a battery just draws what it needs.

-

ozzie winter as +5deg c? hell, that's pretty well summer up here in canada!

good luck with it.

-

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Thanks for the info slowmod.
Ive also noticed there seems to be some oil on the sparkplug near where it sparks... What things can i do to diagnose this probably linked issue?
I wiped it all clean and sanded the spark plug... Was able to kick start... Electric still not firing on first ride of the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts