TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
To a large extent it all depends on the condition of the component parts.

Chain and sprockets – tire age and condition – bearings (steering head, wheels, swinging arm) – battery – electrics …… it can all add up pretty quickly.

That just leaves the engine (which can be a tale in itself) …….

Bearing the above in mind – what do you think it’s worth ?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Up to $1,200 perhaps. Remember, it will most likely need new tires at least. Anything else you can find, perhaps he will knock off the price? Ask him to discount it.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I have not driven over to see it but I have talked to the seller. I could probably get him down to $1000.
If he is willing over the phone to take the $1000, then go look at it, nit pick it to death, look at tires, chains and sprockets, etc, Then mention it will cost over $200-$250 for the tires, another $75 for a chain and sprockets, O yeah, it will need new tubes too, X amount more you say....labor....bla bla, Maybe he will take $700-$800 then??? Worth a try if indeed you see promise in the bike...

·
Registered
108 Posts
It might be worth about $500 to me.
Brian, you never pay very much for anything TW related! :rolleyes: I don't want to use the Tightwad word, but you are known out west for spending the least and getting the best deals. ;)

(However your generosity with TW parts far exceeds the great deals you always seem to get. Thanks man.)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I paid $1,100 for my wifes 1989 tw200 with 3,500 miles on it
We put about $800 into it
Its actually faster then my 2013 tdub

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I remember a line well from a guy I was buying a Yamaha scooter from. He just looked at me and grinned and said, "I'll take more for it, but not less." Since it was reasonable, I paid up and didn't whine.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Rebuilt a rolled over Toyota pickup some years ago. With my son on the way i needed to sell it.
Guy came over and tried to nitpick me down for a while. Then it started to kind of bug me that he thinks my work is all crap. Finally told him that this truck wasn't for him. "what" he says. I tell him that he wouldn't be happy with this truck so we are done. Not for sale... to him. He want to keep talking but I'm done. So we go are separate ways. Later that evening his wife calls and apologizes for her husband and offers my asking price. Had to tell her sorry it was sold. Right after the dip left, an older (70-80) year old guy bought it. Needed a truck because he spent his days mowing the lawns of widows in the St. George area. I knew him by reputation so I knocked a few hundred off. I used to see him driving it around with his mower for years after that. Made me feel good.
Moral, don't be a jerk about price. Offer what you think it is worth, if you can't agree, smile, shake hands and walk away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently paid $950 for mine in great condition with 1,971 miles with original tires, also came with a 55 tooth sprocket and plugs. Didn't haggle because i knew it was a good deal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A similar story from a hobby: I casually collect old woodworking (and other) tools. In the mid 70's I was told to stop in and see a gentleman retiring and "selling tools cheap." He was 92. I picked out a few things and admired an 1800's plane. I already had one similar, and told him so, but he said, "What do give me for it?" I suggested 5$, and he instantly responded, "I won't take five- two!" This surely made an impression on me, beyond any bargain I could have driven for myself. What a guy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts