TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. Any input from you southern CA folks?

I wonder if the Cleveland National Forest will let us bypass the closed gate on North Main Divide road if we told them we were doing a "Memorial Ride" in honor of 9/11 victims. It would be really nice to put a flag or something on the top of Mt. Santiago, commonly refereed to as Saddleback.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I might be in. Though now that we've had a fire or two I doubt they'll lift the ban. Dove season, though

I gotta check with my new social director. I'm always messin' up on dates.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least your social director rides! I'll ask around on getting past that gate and post what I find out. No fires up there that I know of. The NFS site says it closed due to storm damage.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
According to some of the guys on the AdvRider site the gate is closed because of a new tower being constructed at the summit. I was at that gate about a month ago on my TW and gave a lot of thought to just riding around it and heading-up to the summit (it was early evening on a Wednesday so I doubt any Rangers would have been up there on patrol) but decided against it. Saddleback is my summertime weekly after-work ride spot and this is the latest in the season I've ever seen the gate closed.

I like the idea about placing a flag up there but good luck trying to find the right person to talk to about that; a couple of weeks ago I was riding up there and came across what I'm assuming was a stolen and abandoned truck on the side of the trail. The next day it took three or four phone calls before I finally got in-touch with a person who I was told could do something about it. When I spoke with that person they showed little interest and from what I heard from other people who ride up there it was another couple of weeks before the truck was removed. If I was going to be in-town that weekend though I would join you on a 9/11 ride, as it is though I'll be on my way back from a 'Buggy trip up-north.

Kevin

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay in getting back out here. I was hoping to just get the local ranger to look the other way for a few hours, rather than get OK from anyone in particular. I ride back there a lot, so I've met most of the local LEO's. So far, I'm not having much luck. A couple of the guys said they wouldn't stop me, but they haven't been able to tell me who's got the morning shift on the 11th, so no guarantee's. Grrrrr

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be better organized about this next year! I totally sold out this year and just rode up to Cooks Corner and did the 9/11 ride from there to Long Beach with a few thousand new friends. I knew nothing about this until "Ducati Mike," from the local Starbucks told me about it that morning. I just went out there with the local GSXr's. It was actually pretty amazing. A LOT of bikes!

This is a YouTube video link from last year, but it's the same route, and it looks to be annual. File that under Next Year perhaps.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Until I watched the video I thought you'd ridden the TW. LOL.

I think we've met Ducati Mike at Hell's Kitchen. Small world.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude, I did ride the TW! Someone had to represent. Not a lot of small bikes, but there were some of us for sure. My camera battery was dead straight away, and this YouTube video from last year was the best I could do to show everyone what it was like. Such a big event, I'm still surprised I hadn't heard of it. I've heard there were close to 3000 riders this year. Crazy.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You da man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts