TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! long time lurker finally posting for the first time.

I've been living in Cambodia for a year now and just recently purchased a modified TW200 imported from Japan (lik 3 months ago). I am now coming around to figuring out what year the bike is, just to get the proper manuals and stuff and to keep in mind when getting new parts. I know that the bike is pre 2001 due to the front drum brake. The obvious thing would be to check the VIN number on the neck of the bike for the 17 digit code and run it through one of those decoders. Yea, my VIN number on the neck is 9 digits. I have been searching for an answer to this and I cannot come up with anything. The picture below shows the neck of the bike and the associated VIN and a sticker attached to the frame as well.

Any help will be appreciated on finding out the year of the bike. Also, I'm just curious to know as to why the number is 9 digits...

Thanks!

2013-11-14 17.53.05.jpg
2013-11-14 17.29.59.jpg

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The 17 digit thing is almost exclusively in Western markets. JDM and Asian market bikes use their own system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply lizrdbrth.

If the usual 17 digit VIN decoders will not work, any ideas on how to figure out the year of the bike? I've search online extensively and I am still stumped!

Thanks for the help again

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Call or email Yamaha? ;)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Maybe someone fluent in Japanese could step up and pose the question to a Japanese site or directly to Yamaha, Japan as LT has suggested.

I'm sure there was some correlation of tank color options to specific model years, if nothing else. That may help narrow it down.

My thin (and possibly incorrect) understanding is that while minimal info is included in their numbering system the supporting paperwork (pink slip?) matching the vehicle is very specific in details due to the Japanese vehicle inspection and mandatory scrapping program.

I could contact Yamaha, USA on your behalf but that generally doesn't yield very good results. The two entities don't seem to like to communicate with one another in my experience.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Also you could try this: I presume Cambodia has license plates?. If so,the VIN had to be given to their Bureau of motor vehicles for proper plates,taxes etc. So,if you have a "buddy" that is in Cambodias Law enforcement,perhaps he / she could "run" the plate and adivse the date of the bike?. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have to just email Yamaha in Japan and see what they come up with (if I can find a way through the Japanese with google auto-translate). About the tank color, it's been painted when it was modified, so that will be of no help I think.

About the license plates and asking the someone in the gov't/police, not likely to do any good in Cambodia. The way things work here, it's kind of a functioning anarchy. I know it's gonna sound bad, but I have not even registered the bike and have no plates yet, which is not an issue at all here as the police do not care (not that they would chase you anyway, they just sit there). I've met like 2 people that actually have drivers licenses, and with me that would make 3. So yea, that is likely to be a dead end, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the replies everyone

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
2JL-048825

Perhaps MP can walk into the dealer where he just bought his and ask them to look it up, since they have the same numbering system.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm going to guess it's a 1993. The 2JL signifies TW200E, but the year is usually part of the last 6 digits. In those days Yamaha would reserve serial number ranges to identify model years by changing the first couple of digits. 000001 would be one model year, 100001 would be another, 030001 would be another, etc. On most older Yamaha's numbers starting with 040001 were 1993 model bikes. Do you have the engine number by any chance? It can also provide a clue to the year.

I'd suggest emailing Yamaha customer service in an english speaking Pacific Rim country like Australia and ask them to decode it. They most likely will have access to the information you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine number is different from the frame number: 2JL-048314 (not sure if there was an engine swap or not in the past).

Great idea on contacting Australia, I had not thought of that. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know. Also thanks for the off-the-cuff decoding, a 94 being older than I thought the bike was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I work in the motorcycle industry, and from time to time deal with the OEM's on various issues. I called my contact at Yamaha USA and provided the serial number. They believe it is a 1998 model year, Japanese home market. I was basing my guess of it being a 1993 on the fact that the reserved ranges of serial numbers for that year started with 04, but that was only for US market bikes. Other countries had different ranges.

What year do you think it is?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oddly,

The local Yamaha guy replied that he won't be able to ID that bike until the Yamaha shop opens in April. Sorry guys. This is a brand new shop, still under construction.

MP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the responses again. My estimates were in the late 90's for the bike, so the 98 year fits. Thanks for the confirmation!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the same thing 9 digits starting 3aw-xxxxxx i still am not sure which year it is. i almost forgot about it. but i guess its 1999 or 2000

·
Registered
128 Posts
FYI my 2JL - 056718 is a tw200e import from japan. Dating letter from Yamaha states it as a 98 model

Reactions: Purple
1 - 18 of 18 Posts